What audio player do you use and why

I personally tried out foobar2000 and think its what Audiophile’s can appreciate. It just sounds awsume

i use mediamonkey, i love all the features and options in has. its everything i need in a music player and is highly customizable.

Spotify, it’s easy and legal, if it wasn’t available then I wouldn’t buy music and I would probably only have 100 something songs in my library compared to 6000 in my primary spotify playlist.
It gives good enough sound for me.

foobar2000 was my player and converter on Windows. :-TU

Now using Rhythmbox on Ubuntu. It’s a good and easy to use player, and much faster than Banshee.

It really depends what you use to listen to your music. If you use standard PC speakers or cheap headphones, to listen to 128kps mp3s via the onboard sound chip, it’s unlikely you’ll here any difference between players. My personal music collection is all FLAC and I use foobar2000, via a Xonar/outboard DAC/Headphones.

I use Foobar2000.

I agree with Radaghast. As a recording engineer, I’ve never been able to understand how people can listen to standard 128kbps, .mp3 files. (especially on headphones (even the cheap ones!)) They just sound horrible…

I don’t have the HD space to have my music collection lossless as Radaghast does, (I have too many CD’s) so after extensive listening tests, I compressed them to .mpc files using the lossy Musepack codec. Exact Audio Copy being my ripper of choice.

Listening to .mpc files on computer speakers, the quality is decent. Definitely not as good as lossless, I can still hear compression artifacts if I pay attention. But it’s definitely tolerable for casual listening while you’re doing something else. Definitely better than the other lossy alternatives in my opinion.

At what bitrate?

The new lossy star is Opus, especially for low bitrates (< 100 kbps) where it beats HE-AAC, but it is still young (the encoder will get much better). :wink:

Vorbis has been my lossy codec of choice.

Musepack is not optimized for low bitrates.

I use the “standard” setting, which is what the codec was designed to be “transparent” at. The idea being that if you compress at the standard setting, you can’t hear any difference between the resulting .mpc file and the lossless source file. I can hear a difference, (Mostly image smearing and a reduction in depth of field, so spatial effects like reverb tend to suffer a bit…) but it’s pretty good.

The standard setting is a variable bitrate algorithm. It varies widely depending on the source, with sparse instrumentation running as low as 140kbps, and more complex pieces hitting 250kbps, but I’d say it averages around 180kbps.

I’ll have to check Opus out because it sounds interesting, but I doubt I would re-encode my library. Musepack development more or less stopped when it was deemed “transparent” by the developers.

I actually can not hear any difference between 128 mp3’s and higher bitrates or even lossless codecs. I use good old Windows Media Player 12 for everything with either my Logitech 2.1 speakers or headphones. Sometimes I use Media Player Classic but the regular WMP has better options for equalization. I get the best sound with it.

I’m not a music freak though. I only play some maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

I use KMPlayer due to its numerous options for enhancing the sound, always find now that other players sound like the speakers are buried in a bucket of sand, haven’t found anything that makes music or sound clips sound as good as KMPlayer, through when PotPlayer catches up I might switch ;D

My previous player was WinAMP, then I heard KMPlayer and started using that instead, I never use Windows media player as music doesn’t sound good playing through no matter what the settings are, so I stick with what sounds the best :slight_smile:

Always found number one reason for most speakers seemingly playing music badly is down to not using an equalizer or one properly, even with a cheap set of speakers can get very good sound if using an equalizer, this is one reason why I hate players on webpages, no equalizer so sound is unclear and sound like being played in a bucket of sand :frowning:

Edit: I guess the ‘bucket of sand’ sentance is a bit harsh, just mean the music sounds muffled and unclear, sorry.

That is equivalent to something between Vorbis q5 (target ~160kbps) and q6 (target ~192 kbps). q5 is considered perceptually transparent for most music (not “killer-samples”). Spotify uses q5, and I use it for music on the internet. For my local music library I use q7 (target ~224 kbps). AoTuV is the recommended Vovis-encoder. It beats libVorbis at lower bitrates.

Opus is not primarily for local music libraries, but for streaming and VoIP, anywhere low latency is desired.
But of course, if you want a compact music library, Opus will be a good choice. Developers are now working on libopus 1.1. HydrogenAudio

non obtrusive player with all the bells and whistles.

Spotify uses “q9” for premium users who have enabled it in the settings. Just wanted to point that out. =P

Yes, I know. Bumping up the bitrate

I think that is more about marketing than sound quality. Of course q9 is better than q5, but not much, and anything above q7 is waste of bandwidth. :wink:

I wouldn’t know, but I have 100Mb/s down so I have bandwidth to waste and it’s optional for those who don’t have the bandwidth so they can just uncheck the box.

I’ve been using XMPlay for all my audio needs for years.
Best player I have tried and that’s why I’m still using it.

That’s good for you. :wink: But adding more bits than q7 or even q6 doesn’t add more perceived sound quality, so it’s waste. If bandwidth doesn’t matter and you want perfect quality, use lossless compression. :slight_smile:

I wish my liberary was nothing but “sacd” format. That’ll propably never happen, I know I’m dreaming :wink:

I actually can not hear any difference between 128 mp3's and higher bitrates or even lossless codecs.
You need to train your ears (that's the best way I can put it). This takes a long time to do

I would use lossless if spotify allowed it, but it does not and honestly I think Spotify quality is enough.

MusicBee is quite a nice player. I considered using it for a while, but I couldn’t make it do some of the things I wanted it to do.