What Are Your Favorite Books and Genres?

There are topics here about favorite music, security programs, video games, movies, browsers (Firefox FTW), and desktop backgrounds.

But, AFAIK, no topic about books.

Here, I’d like you to post your favorite books and genres (historical fiction, fantasy, etc), and even more specific details about what you want to see in books (only one main character who is male/female and young/old, written in 1st person, etc).

Also, you can recommend books to people based on what they like. Please! (I’m running out on good books :).)

Note: Mods, can I ask you a favor? Please restrain Ganda from merging this with some other topic. Thanks!

I’ll keep track of what books and stuff people like in this post (or at least I’ll try :)).

LaserWraith - Original Post

Books

• Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
  • The Lost Years of Merlin Epic (Series) by T. A. Barron
  • Belgarath the Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings

(Links in the original post.)

• Fantasy.
  • The main character is a male.
  • There is only one main character / the story is told mostly from his viewpoint.
  • Preferably in 1st person from the main character’s view.
  • The main character has something special that most other people don’t have, e.g. magical talents.
  • In a “good against bad” layout, and the main character is good. I prefer to the good seem really good, and the bad seem really bad.

eXPerience - Original Post

• Faction
  • Thrillers

John Buchanan - Original Post

Books

.FaZio93. - Original Post

Books

• History (WWII)
  • Fantasy

g-a-n-d-a - Original Post

Books

• Dan Brown’s Books
  • “donald duck album (weekly published)”
  • “scrooge mc.duck pocket book (monthly released)”

Petit - Original Post

• Cartoons

Dislikes

• Teenager Fiction Stories

I wasn’t sure what “Release anger” and “Unfolding” were.

Now for my books.

Books

• Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini - This 4-book series is about a boy, Eragon, who finds a dragon egg and it hatches for him. So he becomes a dragon rider, and because of that he can control magic. The main plot is Eragon & friends/allies trying to overthrow the powerful King WhatsHisName (I forgot it), who is a “twisted” dragon rider.
  • The Lost Years of Merlin Epic (Series) by T. A. Barron - This story begins when a lone, half-drowned boy washes ashore on a strange coastline. He has no memory of who he is or where he came from; even his own name is a mystery. Yet somehow, through many adventures—and the inspiration of Nature—he finds his true identity. Ultimately, he becomes Merlin, the sage of Camelot and the greatest wizard of all time. (Copied summary from the link given above.)
  • Belgarath the Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings - The book opens shortly after the end of The Malloreon with Belgarion, with help from Durnik, pestering Belgarath to write an autobiographical account of the events prior to The Belgariad. The core of the book is in the form of Belgarath’s memoirs starting with his becoming an outcast from his village and becoming first disciple of the god Aldur and ending with the birth of Belgarion—a span of about seven thousand years. (Copied summary from the WP article linked to above.)

What Kind of Books I Like

• Fantasy.
  • The main character is a male.
  • There is only one main character / the story is told mostly from his viewpoint.
  • Preferably in 1st person from the main character’s view.
  • The main character has something special that most other people don’t have, e.g. magical talents.
  • In a “good against bad” layout, and the main character is good. I prefer to the good seem really good, and the bad seem really bad.

I like all Faction and thrillers

Xan

Hmm…I like the main character to be one person so I don’t have to be continually changing my favorite person. I like to feel “one” with the character.

I have read many books over the years, but my favorite has always been the Pern series.

I like history (WWII) and fantasy.

My favorites are the Harry Potter series and Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose.

hmm, where should i merge this 88)

1. donald duck album (weekly published)
  2. scrooge mc.duck pocket book (monthly released)
    :-TU

ow, Dan brown’s books are pretty good :-TU

Release anger

Unfolding

Cartoons

I don’t like teeager fiction story.

For anyone who wants to find books, Wikipedia is a good place to start. I have found some good books on this page.

To find some books, first choose which genre you like.

For example, I clicked “Fantasy”. The WP article about Fantasy opens. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Fantasy category.

http://dlrvdq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pIU1V8sOf0xkds_mUfxjvpI6ZKsofwPCqrYiFMOuWMouNgs42hxuZ_YKcpmLLKQRrDwROTgrCrHcVTVrQx18-yjipu5JyDWsx/WP_Fy_Cat.png

Click the subcategoryFantasy books”.

And there is a list of Fantasy books.

ehm… sorry to interrupt. this book might be interesting for you guys ;D

FML book :-TU

Couple of books i`ve just finished reading:-

“Sniper One” by Sgt Dan Mills, a true story of of “The Prince of Wales Royal Regiment” in Iraq.Absolutely riveting read, hard to put down once you start(best book i`ve read in a while).

“Lone Survivor” by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson, about a group of Navy seals in Afghanistan.Bit ott on the patriotism/macho side of things but not three bad.

Just starting “River God” by Wilbur Smith.

Matt

Hi Matty_R I read this book way back in the beginning of High School, you’d love this one:

Regards & cheers
:■■■■
Xman 8)

Sorry to bump this fairly old topic, but I decided it wasn’t worth it to post a new topic.

I found out about Shelfari.

For a person like me who loves books but can’t keep track of what I’ve read and what I want to read, it is real nice. You can also join groups like Fantasy Groups, Historical Fiction groups, etc. Some have hundreds of members!

I have found a lot more books from the automatic suggestions too.

If you join, see my profile and become my friend! :stuck_out_tongue:

I tend towards High Fantasy, particularly the epic sagas. I also have a liking for the ‘cyberpunk’ genre, of the post-industrial dystopias created by the likes of Gibson, Sterling, k, Dick et al.

So I guess my list of books/authors would look something like this:

Fantasy:
J. R. R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time (series)
Roger Zelazney - The Chronicles of Amber (series)
George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (series)
Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (series)Philip Kindred Dick

Cyperpunk:
William Gibson’s - Sprawl trilogy
Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash and the Diamond Age.

Sicence Fiction:
Larry Niven - Ringworld (series)
Arthur C. Clarke - Childhoods End
Theodore Sturgeon - More Than Human

Other books that have made an impact are:
William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
Jack Kerouac - On the Road
Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Haruki Murakami - Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Herman Melville - Moby Dick
Thomas Pinchon - Gravity’s Rainbow

I could go on, but I’m sure you’re all bored or dead by now :slight_smile:

I tend to use http://booktome.shanemca.com/ for my library, mainly because it’s a portable application which I prefer.

Interesting.

I’ve read some of The Wheel of Time, but if I remember correctly it was about a female (and I didn’t like that much 88)).

I started the Chronicles of Amber a long time ago, but the start of the first book was boring to me and it never really got a hold of me.

I never read A Song of Ice and Fire because the Wikipedia page said:

By the end of the fourth volume, there have been twenty-five such [POV] characters [...]

Haven’t heard of the rest. :slight_smile:

The bookTome thing looks interesting, but I prefer Shelfari because I can be friends with others and see what they think is nice.

I've read some of The Wheel of Time, but if I remember correctly it was about a female (and I didn't like that much Roll Eyes).

The Wheel of Time has a number significant characters, the majority of whom are male.

I started the Chronicles of Amber a long time ago, but the start of the first book was boring to me and it never really got a hold of me.

Some books can be like that. I find my mood can change the perception of a book.

I never read A Song of Ice and Fire because the Wikipedia page said:

Usually I prefer to read something for myself…

I’ll post two titles of my fancy, but I have to say that most of you agree surprisingly on the Fantasy/Epic genre.
Could it be that there is a connection between the tendency to IT related topics and the likes of J.R.Tolkien?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Men-Boat-Nothing-Classics/dp/0140621334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252800694&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Yesterday-Stefan-Zweig/dp/0803252242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252800539&sr=8-1

Hmmm…maybe I should try it again.

:smiley: I didn’t mean that because of that I wouldn’t read the series, but it wasn’t up high on my list.

I have a question:

What should I do if I don’t want to buy a book, but the library doesn’t have it? And I want to read it?