What are the default COMODO DNS Server Settings?

Been a while since I was last here, but…

Not sure how it happened, but the DNS server was set to go through COMODO DNS servers, and, after starting Netflix service for the first time, I see that it has changed, and now is 192.168.0.1 and 205.171.3.25.

Unfortunately, I did not write down the default setting COMODO put in first install (an opt-in I chose).

I ran it in a user account. I noticed that Netflix complained of loss of connectivity after I successfully logged in, and went to view my first streaming movie ever at this site.

Browser never complained about a loss of connectivity before this happened, only here and at that moment in time. Worked just fine before.

It complained when my browser was sandboxed, and so I ran the browser as unsandboxed. This restored connectivity, and I went on and viewed the movie.

I noted the browser ran the movie unsandboxed, so I ran it sandboxed, and again a new movie played. I began to think about it, as the browser running sandboxed or not should not have made any difference in connectivity.

So,

Out of curiosity, I looked at “Local Connection Status” and found that the DNS Server settings had been changed to the above.

If it was Netflix that caused this change, then I will consider ending the trial period just on that basis alone.

What might the registry setting be to enter the default COMODO DNS Server entries? Some guidance here would be appreciated, as well.

I now have connectivity, even with the new DNS Server settings as above.

I hope this is clear enough.

Thanks.

mchain

XP Home SP3 P4 2.8 2GB RAM COMODO Firewall Free

The fact your browser was sandboxed is almost certainly the reason you were unable to watch Netflix.

The IP addresses 192.168.0.1 is probably your router and 205.171.3.25 belongs to Quest. If they’re your ISP then it’s probably one of their DNS servers, which may or may not be configurable in your router. I can’t explain why the addresses appear to have changed from those of Comodos DNS servers, but it’s wouldn’t have anything to do with Netflix.

If you want to change back to the Comodo DNS servers, you should probably enter them in your router, however, you can, if you wish enter them in XP. See image for details. Te addresses are:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Radaghast,

Thank you.

COMODO DNS Server IP was different from that given below. I did install COMODO Firewall Free in February 2010, so it has been a while and that setting carried over through the many updates since then.

205.171.3.25 is indeed Qwest. That is my ISP. 192.168.0.1 is also my router I use. At the very least, XP is not using the router as a server anymore, so, so much the better.

Nice that the change went through on the fly, and is now set the way it should be.

See attached below.

Great help there!

mchain

XP Home SP3 P4 2.8 2GB RAM COMODO Firewall Free v. 5.8.213334.2131

EDIT:

Question: Is entering the DNS settings in the router more secure than in the OS? Router is password protected.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Comodos DNS servers used to be hosted by a different company, at that time they had the prefix 156.154..

EDIT:

Question: Is entering the DNS settings in the router more secure than in the OS? Router is password protected.

It really doesn’t make a great deal of difference. However, If you only have one device requiring DNS services you can add the addresses to the PC interface.

Radaghast,

Thanks.

Explains why the secure dns servers are now a different node than before. And the old numbers do match my recollection.

Also now understand that if, one wants to set up an inside lan, setting the router to the above numbers will give all computers on the network exactly the same benefit as setting each manually at each station. Much less work.

I think I reset the DNS servers when I ran Tweaking.com - Simple Performance Boost, and ticked reset DNS settings. Was only a couple of days ago that was done.

So, it does look like the sandbox interfered with running a Netflix movie.

mchain

XP Home SP3 P4 2.8 2GB RAM COMODO Firewall Free v. 5.8.213334.2131

Was there any notification about the DNS servers changing? I been using the old 156.154.. DNS servers until earlier today when I saw this post and went to check. Kind of scary because had I been unlucky enough to of had those IP addresses now owned by malicious people… I wonder how many people are still using the old DNS addresses.

The new addresses are for the service that as far as I know, is still in beta. I haven’t seen any mention that it is no longer beta, but both Dragon and CIS are using the new addresses in the primary slot, and still the old address as the secondary. The SecureDNS page also now lists the new addresses. So it seems Comodo feels this service is ready for the big time, but again, no notice of the service leaving beta.

I wouldn’t worry about the old addresses being controlled by someone malicious, as those IP’s are owned by UltraDNS, which is what SecureDNS was using previously.