What a Clean Win Vista/7 64bit uses for ram

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

I am curious of knowing what a 64bit Windows OS uses for about. I would also like to know how much it uses when you have Office and CIS installed and active.

I ask because I don’t have 64bit OS on a cd and I would appreciate a helping hand.

Super thanks in advance!

Regards,
Valentin N

How much RAM do you have?

the amount that Windows uses depends on how much RAM you have.

1 GB or more when idle is perfectly normal for systems with 4 GB or more total RAM. It also depends on what programs or services you have running in the background.

Regardless, if you launch a program that requests RAM currently being used by Windows, Windows will free that RAM for the program to use.

Basicly it will use as much as you let it, You can get by on 400-600my of ram based on where I’m my info from
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/fd2ed7af-b087-4469-b0e5-b23d0e8ff835

Do you have vista or 7??

7 :slight_smile:

1 GB or more when idle is perfectly normal for systems with 4 GB or more total RAM. It also depends on what programs or services you have running in the background.

The OS will use as much RAM as possible. RAM that isn’t used is being wasted.

Regardless, if you launch a program that requests RAM currently being used by Windows, Windows will free that RAM for the program to use.

Pretty vague. Should be “if you launch a program that requests RAM currently being used for cached data, Windows will free that RAM for the program to use.”

Can you answer my question as well?

of course wj32 sorry. for the moment I have win 7 pro 32 with 3gb but I plan to upgrade it to 6gb (which I think my hp pavilion tx2690eo can handle as max)

regards,
Valentin N

The 32-bit version will not use any more than 3.5GB RAM (4G to be simpler). If you wish to take advantage of greater RAM amounts, you MUST install the x64 version.
As wj32 stated, RAM not used is RAM wasted (in this case anything over the 4G mark).

of course wj32 sorry. for the moment I have win 7 pro 32 with 3gb but I plan to upgrade it to 6gb (which I think my hp pavilion tx2690eo can handle as max)

There’s no reason for you to worry about RAM usage if you have 3GB of it, unless you’re going to be editing pictures/videos.

Or you can use a patch. Search Google for “PatchPae”.

That’s not true. What you don’t know is that windows uses virtual memory (it for about equal if not bigger than the ram is in use) actively. In a Linux based OS your ram will be used and when your ram is 100% full the swap partition (this would be the virtual memory for windows) be active.

regards,
Valentin N

What? Virtual memory is always being used by every modern OS all the time. It’s what allows processes to have their own address spaces. You must be referring to pagefile/swap usage. On my 32-bit system I have 6GB of RAM and 11MB of pagefile is being used. That’s not a lot.

People worry too much. Windows is not stupid and it does manage your RAM effectively. That’s what an OS does.

lets take Ubuntu. When you install it you will two partitions, 1) this partition can you save your files and other fun stuff and 2) Swap partition that will work as virtual memory when you ram is 100% full.

I am not sure how other Linux based but if I am not wrong they use the same procesure as ubuntu does. In mac the swap partition is shown as a folder if I not mistaking.

Regards,
Valentin N

No, you’re using the wrong terminology. The swap partition doesn’t work “as virtual memory”. Virtual memory is always at work whether or not you have a pagefile/swap.

okey. What purpose does swap partition have? ( Thanks for correcting :slight_smile: )

It’s what you think it is. You’re just mixing up the terminology.