waterfox.exe is trying to change the current settings of your browser

Hi!
As stated in headline, i am getting an annoying popup when using waterfox (popup does have a white cross on red background and it is titled “browser protection”), mostly after boot when firing up waterfox or moments later, when trying to search something in a search bar or withing tabs. After accepting (yellow option to allow change) popup goes away mostly till next pc reboot.

Question is - how to disable this popup!
Is it a bug that i cannot disable / allow this permanently?

Edit:

I have disabled the “show alert in case any other software attempts to modify current settings of installed browsers” under HIPS and all is good for now.
The thing is that this option is active even when whole HIPS is deactivated, so i think that its a bug, but I’m not sure.

I am having the same problem on multiple pc’s that have waterfox. Now no matter which option I select (keep settings or change) the same message pops up everytime I load/close waterfox. I see no way to eliminate “browser protection” in the firewall. I use malwarebytes browser protection. I tried turning off all the comodo protections firewall, antivirus, sandbox and virus scope and yet the same pop up happens. I do not feel that simply turning off the notifications of HIPS is a sound solution. I still want to see those notifications, but not one that is apparently a bug. In addition, waterfox just did a whole new update so I am on the most recent version of that as well.

The UI is not totally congruent with the underlying logic indeed. :-\

Edit:

I have disabled the “show alert in case any other software attempts to modify current settings of installed browsers” under HIPS and all is good for now.
The thing is that this option is active even when whole HIPS is deactivated, so i think that its a bug, but I’m not sure.

Bangkokindy, try this solution.

Is there no cure for this yet ?
I get the same thing, but in HIPS settings there is no “show alert in case any other software attempts to modify current settings of installed browsers” setting.
Possibly because I am using version 10 ?
I have been using Waterfox for 2 or 3 months now and did not have this problem before I upgraded Comodo to v 10.

The setting has been moved to advanced protection > miscellaneous

It’s now under Advanced Protection > Miscellaneous . .

Anyone else? I have been a Firefox user since its start, but with their announcement that most add-ons will be broken with future versions, I looked around and settled on Waterfox. PMoon was ok, but I had a lot of issues with my add-ons, Cyberfox worked great, but it’s being discontinued. Waterfox works great, but even though I have made it my default browser on Windows 10, Comodo nags me almost every time I start it that Waterfox is trying to change my browser settings.

Is there no white list that this alert can be disabled for a particular program?
I get this alert for Western Digital’s Backup program.
“WDBackup.exe is trying to change the current settings of your browser”.

I would like to not disable this protection on a global basis.
I would like to know if an unknown program is trying to make changes in my browser (ex. browser hijack, spoofing, etc.)

Thank you in advance.

No there isn’t at the moment. It will pop up on numerous software instances as you’ve found . . . Privacy Eraser, CCleaner etc. Pretty much everything that changes browser settings. I leave it on and just get used to the messages until that option is ever introduced

Thank you Ploget.

Your response is very much appreciated.

BTW I contacted Western Digital. I asked them why their program would need to change Browser settings (especially since I have used other back up programs that do not tagged by Comodo). The answer I received was, shall we say, unsatisfying. (Something about trying to unblock a Browser firewall, even for a completely LOCAL backup process.)

On the other side, I find it interesting, according to the Alert Log, Comodo is Alerting to an attempted change in Comodo Dragon browser, but not in Edge (Chromium Based), nor Google Chrome.

As an ex-programmer and computer tech, I would love to know the background processes that is causing such disparages.

Thanks again. Hoping for a quick resolution. (I can hope, can’t I?)

I don’t know what options Western Digital has, but I know that some Utilities can have browser options edited to avoid that warning. It may be the cache or cookie location & settings, the Temp files . . . anything really. I’ve always seen it with Firefox, but even when not using FF for an entire day while working, the warning still pops when using one of the Privacy applications

As I installed CIS FW only I didn’t expect to get that same message on my system too when analyzing FF with CCleaner Custom Clean.

Why does CIS show this message when CCleaner only is analyzing FF (in my understanding, not making modifications to it)?
I thought this message would appear only when CIS AV is installed too.

Is there a way for me to disable this message globally?

In CCleaner: Cache, Cookies, History, Download History are all checked by default under Custom Clean Tools if it is run

You can disable it in Comodo by: Advanced Settings > Miscellaneous and uncheck the option

Thank you Ploget for pointing to it.
I found it deeply stowed away here to be precise “Advanced Settings → Advanced Protection → Miscellaneous → Show alerts…”
Disabled it, it works, no message anymore.

Just still a bit wondering why the message did appear anyway while analyzing (reading) all the FF items you mentioned.

Presumably CIS / FW recognizes anything that accesses those settings and content, whether actually run or not. Once you’ve agreed or refused to the analysis warning, there’s no further warning given when actually running it

Yes correct, the message only returns when CCleaner is restarted and analyze is run again.

As a side note: The message only happens on analyzing CCleaner FF item “Last Download Location”.
On the other ticked items (I have 5 items ticked per default in latest CCleaner version) there is no message.