Warning Increasing Operation Temperature displays on my Compaq monitor

My old monitor overheated and I borrowed another. Its brand is Compaq, after some time Warning Increasing Operation Temperature is displayed on the screen. What’s wrong? Is it my power supply? :cry: Thanks again to everyone on this forum. :smiley:

Looks like you got a couple of replies on Yahoo ;D (I found on Google ;D)

If dusting out doesn’t work, I would try it with a different power supply/cable.

Each monitor has it own independant power supply, so if the new monitor is overheating you are the victim of unfortunate circumstance.

It is also possible that what you are seeing is related to your motherboard. Does your motherboard support temperature warnings?

Ewen :slight_smile:

I didn’t get any reply on yahoo. I will try getting a new cable next time.

How do I know the motherboard settings? :slight_smile:

Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos ;D

You have to enter the system BIOS to access the motherboard settings. Usually this done by pressing Del or F8 or something else right after the computer starts and before the OS loads, depending on your equipment of course.

Yahoo answers was delayed >_<. I guess I’ll spray my CPU later.

Make sure the monitor is in clean air (no curtains on it) and if near a radiator turn it down.Also direct sunlight.
Do you have a graphics card program which you can adjust the monitor settings on,if so see if you can adjust the Gamma settings(should be ~ 0.5/0.6 also see that the frequency/refresh is set to auto.
Have you looked under Control Panel/Display and tried troubleshoot?

Matty

I don’t think monitors issue overheat warnings… (do they?) CPUs, motherboards, cases, graphic cards and batteries (on Laptops) can have thermal sensors & can issue warnings (dependent on kit). What happens depends on the age & type of equipment. Older mobo’s/CPUs/Cases tend to power off without any warning & refuse to start (until they’ve chilled a bit). Newer mobo’s/CPUs might reduce power (especially in laptops) and/or issue a warning. Newer graphic cards tend to reduce power & issue a warning as well… older ones just crash or shutdown the card only (upsets Windows).

Also… since a long power down can temporarily resolve the overheat issue (assuming it took awhile to get the new monitor), your old monitor might actually be OK.

The exact wording of the warning (including window names, numbers, logos, etc… ) might help to identify the culprit.

I think its the monitor because with my previous one, it showed no warnings. The screen was just compressed to half and smoke started to come from it.

Whenever the warning shows, I just turn off the monitor for about a minute and then it can go on for some time again before the warning pops up.

The exact wording is Warning <<First line and Increasing Operation Temp <<Second line
Both are at the middle of the screen.

Have you tried Speedfan for monitoring/controlling temperatures? http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Smoke? LOL. Yep, smoke bellowing from the monitor is usually a good indicator its the monitor. ;D

Possible to get a screen shot? Are these OSD messages? OSD (On Screen Display)… same as the monitors set-up/control display.

What’s the exact model of the monitor? If it’s a Compaq badged monitor, the panel on the back will yield search-able details (model number usually).

Speedfan: Does not monitor or control Monitors AFAIK.

Another, possibly, important thing: What does Windows think the monitor is? XP: Right click desktop - Properties, Settings tab - Advanced - Monitor tab. Vista: Don’t know… something similar? What OS do you have?

Strange, I took a screenshot and the message wasn’t included. It does look like an OSD message. It is a Compaq P50. I borrowed it because I couldn’t stand having no pc. :smiley:

Am playing to buy a new one but I really want to find out first if there is something affecting my monitors.

I have windows with XP SP2. It says the device is working properly.

What is the Refresh Rate set to in Windows? Also what does Windows call the monitor? eg. “Compaq P50”, “Plug and Play Monitor”, etc…

edit: Fresh LOL.

Refresh rate is 60 hertz. Monitor type is COMPAQ P50 Color Monitor.

60Hz sounds fine for that monitor & its good that Windows “knows” what the monitor is. Regarding the warning message, since it does seem to be an OSD message… it might be the monitor (can’t find any documentary evidence of that yet). However, it doesn’t rule out software… software can, and does, generate OSD messages.

Was your previous Monitor also the same type/model?

Nope. Previous one is AOC or ADC. Can’t quite make it out.

Is your desktop system a Compaq system? If not, what is it?

Some Compaq systems have an “Assistant Utility” that can display OSD messages.

I’ve still not found any documentation for a Compaq P50. A partially functional Compaq (Canada) site calls its a 15" Flat Panel & your stated refresh rate (60Hz) fits with that, but… the dimensions are too big for a Flat Panel & they mention controls that an LCD Flat Panel can’t possibly have either.

HP thinks a Compaq P50 is a 15" CRT (and they don’t have documentation or details anyway).

So, silly question, what type of Monitor is it? Flat Panel LCD (thin) or a big (fat) CRT?

If it’s a CRT… then the message is not coming from the Monitor & I think a 60Hz Refresh Rate is very low. Does it support higher (according to Windows)? Also have you tried a “Factory Reset” (an option in the Monitor set-up)? This resets all the settings the other PC/user might have set/wanted.

If you took a screenshot and the message didn’t show up in it, then the message wasn’t generated by Windows and it must be either an on screen display mesage from the monitor or possibly from the BIOS of the PC.

The video card in your PC can’t, to the best of my knowledge, pass sufficient voltage down the video cable to damage the monitor without having first damaged itself.

This leaves us with the unlikely possibility that you have selected two consecutive monitors with almost identical faults or your PC has a fault that is triggering the on screen display.

Ewen :slight_smile: