w3wp.exe & aspx temporary files

I have comodo personal firewall 2.4.18.184 running on my 2003 webserver. When information is submitted to our web application, the information is stored in a database and then the application emails us to notify us of a new submission that needs to be approved.

If the web application hasn’t beeen used for a while to send email, comodo rejects the initial email attempt. I have done several things to get around this problem including sending 2 emails. The first fails but the second one goes through. Comodo is blocking the initial w3wp.exe application. Sending two emails may sound like an acceptable workaround but the web application is left hanging. Frequently the web user gives up and closes their browser before the transaction is completed and we lose the submission.

In the application section, I have 2 entries for the w3wp.exe application. I permit each of the 2 IP addresses and the port that I am trying to send smpt mail to. I have TCP/UDP In/Out chosen as well as ALLOW. In the misc section, I have allow invisible connection attempts and skip advanced security checks. When the w3wp.exe application is blocked it seems it is because the aspx web file is creating temporary files that Comodo doesn’t know how to handle.

In the network section, I also have the two smtp IP address and the corresponding ports permitted.

When Comodo blocks the smtp email attempt it is always blocking the w3wp.exe application. When the smtp email attempt is permitted it is logged as permitting the network IP addresses.

I don’t understand why Comodo sometimes blocks the application (even though I have it permitted) and other times permits the specified network IP addresses.

Is there a way in Comodo to give these temporary aspx webfiles permission to use the w3wp.exe application?

I’m really stumped on this one and just don’t know how to get around the problem. I would really appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

The only solution that I found to get around this problem is to turn off components. If anyone finds another solution, I would be very interested in how you solved the problem.

Hi schmuttis

Perhaps it is some sort of timing issue between the processes? I think CFP will reject, out-of-hand, any connection for an application/component that doesn’t exist. Does the emailing process always exists or is it created by something else? Is it possible to use/introduce “Sleeps”? Probably just seconds needed if it is a timing issue.

Since turning off the Component Monitor resolves the problem… then, I assume, it must be one those (a sub-component of a main application). What’s the actual block message you are seeing in CFPs Log?

Also, I’m trying to get my head around your set-up… how many separate systems are we talking about or is all this taking place on one system? Also perhaps a screen shot of your Network Monitor rules might help.

And can you expand on the bit about ASPX temporary files… ASPX files are usually forms (HTML/XHTML) right? How do they fit into the emailing process? What does CFP actually Log with regards to these.

Oops, enough questions for now. :slight_smile: