[Vulcan] Manual Uninstallation info.

Yes, I am aware of what a registry tracker is. I am also aware that a software developer, that will not answer a request for a list of all files, directories, and registry entries that are a*sociated with an installation of each revised build and will not share that information publicly, exhibits suspicious behavior. This applies to all products, but is of special concern when relating to security products. I am not asking for your source code, I fail to understand the issue with releasing the requested information to be made public.

I asked directly for that information, I have yet to see it listed.

Vulcan

Vulcan, i saw potential in this discussion. I thought “this is going to resolve”. Melih has asked you to ACKNOWLEDGE his point of view, why he would think it’s FUD (as myself, even though i think it was well structured with valid concerns) . You DO NOT acknowledge his opinion (very simple, you don’t even have to agree with him, just that it COULD appear as FUD to him, concerning his company…).

You insist on the same token. Do you want you question answered or not? Do you acknowledge Melih’s concerns or not? Very simple. You will see how fast this conversation will go forward.

Melih’s demand does not have honest intent in my opinion. Melih is putting a pre-qualifier to releasing “manual uninstall” information for all CPF users, which should already be public knowledge. He may or may not choose to follow through if I answer his question the way that he wants.

It’s an unscrupulous tactic, that does not bode well to instill trust. Comodo is asking it’s users to trust them by using their product so they can benefit selling ssl certs. Why then does Comodo not trust its users by releasing a list of all files, directories, and registry entries that are associated with an installation of each revised build of Comodo Personal Firewall along with instructions on how to manually remove them?

A request for disclosure was made on my behalf, which is summarized by the quote below.

[QUOTE] I asked a direct question asking for a list of all files, directories, and registry entries that are associated with an installation of each revised build of Comodo Personal Firewall along with instructions on how to manually remove them. I have yet to receive that information. Other posters on Comodo’s forums have asked the same question and have not received a direct response. I hope you share this information, not just to answer my question, but also so Comodo users may benefit.
[/quote]

If Melih were to choose to not follow through this would give Comodo a bad image, which he is trying to avoid in this entire argument you two are having…

My post directly above this one responds exactly to this topic.

I recognized his opinion, although I stated I disagree with it.

I already stated, I don’t agree with his claim that I was spreading FUD about Comodo. I had skepticism based on previous inquiries made in this forum which were subsequently ignored.

I explained the intent of my post, the reasons behind my concerns, and asked questions hoping for an official Comodo response to quell those concerns.

In turn, I have been met with no direct answers to my questions about “manual uninstall” or the CPF EULA. Melih has chosen to turn this into a debate about the choice of words used in the topic of the original thread, rather than to answer the questions posed.

The questions posed relating to manual uninstall relate directly to all CPF users, not just me and my inquiry.

Why would a CEO, position himself to hold that information hostage from all CPF users regardless if I choose to answer the question the way he wants me to answer it?

I’ve stated multiple times that I recognized Melih’s opinion, although I expressly disagree with his interpretation that my intent is to spread FUD about Comodo.

Ok

Nothing against that specific request. But it’s not about any user asking it, it’s about you and in this context.

Just in case you don’t know, there was a recent FUD problem going around. Recent as in days.
To me it’s obvious why Melih is defensive. He does not want to waste more time over that again. That’s why i agree with him that you got to ACKNOWLEDGE why it could be taken as such. Your title could be taken as normal in another day, and without posting in another forum (where no answers will be given).
Even the EULA part is very similar to the one posted by “Hiro”.

In an act of faith, i take it you’re not him, possibly you don’t even know who is this Hiro anyway. But you must make your own act of faith, and say, for instance (this is what i would say after Melih’s 1st reply):

“I’m sorry if it looks like FUD, it certainly was not my intention.
I can’t see why you see it that way. But i take it back.
I just have these questions that i would like to be answered, as i really am interested in your program. I want to understand just what i’m installing.”

And i would wait for the reply. Also, when it was moved, i would ask why, and not assume anything… How could i, i have no info…

But of course, this would be a hypothetical SANE conversation!

I wasn’t aware of this, regarding recent issues on this forum with FUD campaigns. As I’ve stated multiple times, I recognize Melih’s opinion, although I expressly disagree with his interpretation that my intent is to spread FUD about Comodo.

My questions are genuine questions, related to my open personal thoughts, which were raised by doing reading on those specific topics. I had looked at using Comodo a year ago, but was turned off by the notion that a free product would require email activation. That in itself seems fairly self-defeating in my mind. I decided to take a look at Comodo again in recent weeks, and eventually I decided to post in this forum to ask questions.

I have no idea who Hiro is, and have not in recollection read a post by that user

I’ve already stated my intent multiple times, I was looking at options for a new firewall. I don’t really believe I have anything to apologize for as I tried to explain in great detail what my concerns were, why I had those concerns, what my intent was, and requested an official response to questions I had. I can understand Melih’s disapproval of the topic, he associated it with a stern statement. I intended the statement to be a metaphor of suspicious behavior, because Comodo has not directly answered the question regarding “manual uninstall” which has been asked several times before I ever stepped foot in these forums.

I even pm’d him earlier today and reposted the pm to this thread on Page 9. You can click below.
https://forums.comodo.com/melihs_corner_ceo_talkdiscussionsblog/give_all_that_for_free_whats_the_catch_how_does_comodo_make_money-t764.0.html;msg86245#msg86245

I did ask why, both in PM, as well as in the original thread which was moved to Off-Topic. That thread has since been accidently deleted, or at least that’s the message I received in PM from another moderator.

I can’t believe how much time that has been put in, in this topic. I happily found Comodo Firewall Pro when the year 2006 turned into 2007, and ever since, my trust in Comodo has only risen. Today I’m a moderator because I love what Comodo do. I hate intrusions (of any kind - in real life or in a computer), and I want to help people from from getting violated - by giving input of how to use their Comodo software.

I sincerely hope that you, Melih, got some time for this weekend. I’m impressed of how you manage your time - running the company (even technically involved from what I understand), and discussing at this forum.

/LA

Vulcan, could you not have started by asking your 2 questions in a polite manner, rather than burying them within what certainly appeared to me to be a lot of accusations?

I would think you would then have had them answered by someone to your satisfaction.

If I have had any difficulty with the installation or operation of a Comodo product, I have sought help in this forum and quickly received a knowledgeable answer. This is one of the reasons I have built up my trust in this company.

In my opinion Comodo is giving unrivalled support for it’s products and does not deserve to be treated with such suspicion as you have shown.

Much ado about nothing. If I would think this negatively about a program I would simply take my “business” somewhere else. It’s not the end of the world…

I’m sorry, but I can’t help smiling about this “suspicious” point: the uninstaller does not or may not remove every trace of the program and Comodo does not provide a list.
What are they up to, I wonder? Welcome to the world of software! :smiley:

Have you never come across a program that did not completely uninstall before? It shouldn’t happen, but it is only too common. I know, because I monitor every installation with Total Uninstall. That must mean somehow they are “not to be trusted”. Well, perhaps.

This reminds me of the time when my brother uninstalled Zonealarm free and completely lost internet access after doing so. Zonealarm provided a list of items that had to be removed manually if this happened. The problem was, it was on their website. Brilliant! (:LGH)

By the way, you are not using CPF now. Will that change after your questions have been answered?

Vulcan

1)I always said I thought you could be geniune, however you simply don’t know how to handle yourself in a forum. You start with a FUD and bury your legitimate questions within that FUD hence don’t get anywhere. I did make it clear that I do believe your intention could be legitimate hence I sent you a PM and in that PM I did say, the reason why I am answering is because I think you are ok and simply do not know how to handle yourself in the forum and do not know what is a FUD and what is question. Hence I asked you to acknowledge the difference so that I know I was right about your intention. Therefore I do not appreciate you claiming that I said your intention is to spread FUD about Comodo.

2)you only have 2 issues:
a)You want a list of stuff in the registry
b)you think the link in the EULA should not go to a static website

now…

i)Can you point out to another firewall vendor who provides all the information you are asking for?
ii)How can you possibly claim that we are withholding information for something as public as your own registry which you can easily track with hundreds of different applications?

Still, I really hope you understand the difference between a FUD and a question. Starting your thread with a statement that equates our firewall to a trojan is pure FUD (here it is again to refresh your memory Vulcan Original Thread Topic:

“Comodo Firewall: I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts” )

, and again, I hope you can be man enough to own up to it and apologise to millions of users of our firewall!

thank you

Melih

I have answered your attempts to change the topic time and time again. You clearly do not want to answer any questions relating to all files, directories, or registry entries associated with an installation of each revised build of Comodo Personal Firewall and steps that are need to manually remove them. I have stated my intent multiple times, which you ignore because you do not want to answer the questions I have posed. For a CEO who prides his mission statement on trust, you are only validating my skepticism by refusing to release this information publicly.

In the past 36 hours, I have requested this information at least 40 times in 3 threads. The first thread was moved to off-topic, where you chose to bury it. That thread was later deleted by a mod “accidently”. I then mirrored my initial post to these forums in your blog post of the same title to this thread. Over the next 24 hours you played games, rather than answering my questions relating to manual uninstall and concerns about the CPF EULA directly. Now you’ve decided to move my posts concerning Comodo Personal Firewall to Off-Topic again, in a deliberate attempt to bury my questions in an unrelated forum.

Why the secrecy and deliberate actions taken to bury my questions without a direct answer?

I requested

now…

I can name two off the top of my head, and I’m sure symantec, and mccaffe also have knowledgebase articles as well

i)Sygate (bought out and absorbed by symantec)
Jetico Personal Firewall

ii) Your company is asking myself (the end user) to “trust” your product. Trust is a two way street. I am asking you to validate that trust by publicly stating what files you install, their locations, and what changes you make to the windows registry. By withholding this information from users and refusing to release this information as I have requested at least 40 times now, you are exhibiting suspicious behavior and confirming my skepticism of Comodo Personal Firewall.

As I have stated at least five times now, which you have ignored,

I hoped you would value your own users enough to answer the questions I had asked. Sadly, you disappointed me by refusing to give a direct and honest answer. You have lost my interest as a Comodo user for life. Your idea of “trust” is a one-way street.

You don’t have to write with quote signs, because it truly was an accident. Didn’t gibran make any effort to bring back what was lost when he made that mistake? He felt sorry about it but now the problem is solved.

That’s a pity. Many people trust Comodo, because they do make great software. Offered for free.

/LA

bottom line: All you have for your skepticism is FUD.

Your actions are very similar to a spoilt child (not suggesting you are), you don’t get the information the way you want it, thats why you are crying, even though that information is publicly available thru freely available software.

Also I am still waiting for you to provide us links to other firewall vendors’ websites that displays all the information as you requested about “all files, directories, or registry entries associated with an installation of each revised build of their Firewall and steps that are need to manually remove them”. Just saying, I am sure they do that is not good enough, pls humour us and provide us web links to specific pages that gives the information you request from Comodo in the same manner by them! We are awaiting!

Again your post did not have a question, it was clearly a FUD and we simply don’t have time nor respect for people who have FUD in their posts, whether our users, brothers, sisters or friends!
Again pls allow me to remind you your heading in your original post:

“Comodo Firewall: I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts”

It is our duty to protect our good name from FUD like the one you have chosen to have as your heading title! And sadly you have still NOT chosen to acknowledge it being a FUD. You still are defending that the above statement is not FUD! If it is not, then PROOVE IT!!! If you can’t prove that Comodo Firewall is a Trojan, which is what the above statement implies, then it is nothing more than FUD! So either prove or accept it as FUD!

You have posted this new post in a much more civilised manner here https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/comodo_firewall_manual_uninstall_all_files_folders_regitry_entries_requested-t12225.0.html
and look, you got answers!!!

Next time try to be nice to someone if you are asking for help, actually just be nice, period!

Melih

I’ve changed the topic title as to not confuse other forum users.

Justin

The deletion may have been a genuine accident, mistakes happen. It was rather coincidental.

I’m not sure if the thread was brought back, at this point it does not really matter because the post was mirrored in a thread in Melih’s blog. That was before Melih chose to create this thread in Off-Topic and move all posts after Page 9 here. I can only perceive this as a deliberate move to bury the questions I raised concerning the process of “manual install” of CPF and concerns about CPF EULA referencing the Comodo Privacy Policy via a link.

You should read the entire contents of this thread. I think a lot of Melih’s responses here and also in the post below will open a lot of eyes of IT security professionals. Melih seems to believe trust is a one way street. The end user is supposed to trust Comodo, but Comodo will not trust the end user. That sounds indicative of trusted computing.

https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/comodo_firewall_manual_uninstall_all_files_folders_regitry_entries_requested-t12225.0.html

Maybe we can all step back, no matter who is right. Start fresh.

Online forums can certainly bring some confusion, as we are not talking, we’re writing. I always thought that no matter how well one writes, some other person could misinterpret (is that an english word? ;D ).
Sometimes the poster seems angry when he’s joking, i’ve seen that. Smilies do help though.