Viruscope should list files which will be removed for exclusion [V7][M882]

1. What actually happened or you saw

When something is detected by Viruscope you get a warning and if you click Clean then it will also ask you if you want to revert the changes (Old BETA behavior) it will Quarantine the malware and revert all changes done by the detected malware but it will not give any hints as to what it will actually revert.

2. What you wanted to happen or see

I would personally like the revert pop-up/dialog reinstated and for it to have a list of the files/registry keys/whatever that was changed by the malware and which will be reverted by Viruscope (and also say if the target will be deleted or reversed to a previous version, if the latter is a feature) if the user decides to accept the revert.

The user should also be able to un-check files/registry keys that the user wants to keep, for example if the user wants to keep a document but wants to revert the other changes done by the malware.

In the event that the revert pop-up won’t be reinstated, this could be done instead by adding “List of changes” to the main Viruscope alert and clicking it opens a new window with a list instead, unless the developers have a better idea. :wink:

3. Why you think it is desirable

This would be desirable in order for users to make an educated decision, currently users blindly accept it without knowing whether or not important documents etc will be removed, if the wish is implemented then a user could scroll through the changes that would be reverted and if they see something that they want to keep then they could manually back them up or just un-check them from the list and then continue with the revert while knowing for sure that no files etc that they want to keep are going to be removed. So in the end the user can make an educated guess and it would also give users peace of mind knowing that no files they want to keep are going to be removed.

4. Any other information

I guess it could look something like this:

Explanation of image: Clicking List of changes on image After 1/2 would result in After 2/2 and clicking List of changes in After 2/2 would result in After 1/2. If that makes any sense…

Please remember that I’m not a good GUI designer, I’m sure the developers could do a better job but I guess you get the general idea. :wink:

With the above I believe an option wouldn’t be needed, it would always show the List of changes but it would have it closed by default.

I want to fully understand this wish. Essentially, I think you are saying that there should be an option for an Expert View of the changes. That is what you are describing.

However, what would you suggest be the default option? For example, would you suggest that it be left with no options (and just automatically revert all changes) for novice users by default?

Thanks.

I guess it could look something like this:

Explanation of image: Clicking List of changes on image After 1/2 would result in After 2/2 and clicking List of changes in After 2/2 would result in After 1/2. If that makes any sense…

Please remember that I’m not a good GUI designer, I’m sure the developers could do a better job but I guess you get the idea. :wink:

With the above I believe an option wouldn’t be needed, it would always show the List of changes but it would have it closed by default.

I have edited your first post. Please take a look at it and see if it adequately reflects your wish. If it does I will forward this to the devs as a wish.

Thanks.

I made some changes to my previous text as the behavior of VC revert has changed from BETA to RC (When you clicked “Clean” in old version it would show you another pop up asking if you want to revert, now in RC if you click “Clean” then it instantly reverts changes without asking)

It now somewhat reflects my wish correctly… The only issue I see is that I also ask for the revert pop-up to be reinstated because I don’t really know how this would be done otherwise… I’m afraid they will deny this wish in its whole because they don’t want to reinstate the revert pop-up… Actually give me a minute, I’ll see if I can fix this. Edit: There, now added an “escape” or whatever you’d call it. :wink:

Thank you for putting this in the correct format. It has now been added to the tracker.

Thanks again.

+1

This great idea

:-TU

The title doesn’t really make any sense to me… ??? “are will”?

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. I have a much more detailed title, which I used for the tracker. However, it did not fit and I tried to edit it shorter. I apparently forgot to remove one of the words. Anyway, I have now corrected it.

Let me know if there are any other mistakes which I’ve made. I do have a tendency to do that. 88)

Thanks.

List of changes is existing in DEFENSWALL :smiley:

As this was not implemented during the Beta testing period I will move this Wish Request to the main Wish Board.

Please check and see if this is implemented with the newest version (7.0.313494.4115)? You can just respond to this topic letting me know if it has been implemented or not.

Thank you.

I can not test this as it seems Viruscope is for some reason not active on my system in the latest stable build… ??? It’s enabled and I have recognizers installed but I can’t make it give me any alert anymore.

That’s strange. If reinstalling by following these methods does not solve the problem I think it’s worth reporting that as a bug report.

Thanks.

I have now re-installed and got VC working and I can say that this is partially implemented, there is now a button that says “Show Activities” in the alert, this brings up a list of all activities by the malware and all of it’s child processes, however finding what files will be deleted is rather hard because it’s drowned in a sea of other things like “Find file” etc.

Also you are not able to choose what is reverted and what is not.

Conclusion: A nice start but not there yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Is it currently possible for the user to deselect particular actions which will not be rolled back, or is it still just either roll them all back or roll nothing back?

From what I can tell, the latter.

Okay. In that case it seems that this wish has been added. I will therefore move this to Added.

However, as there is additional options which you, and I, would like to see added, please create a new Wish Request for that. I am acting under constraints right now, and therefore as this is technically incorporated I need to close this wish and then open a new one for the extra options.

Thank you.

Aww man… Fine. :-\