Virus Update Times are Excessive

I’ve been running CIS on three machines for several weeks. ALL virus signature updates take up to 30 minutes and the machine is useless during the update. I have set all three to manual and still two of them update automatically.

Two of our machines are running Win2000 and cannot run CIS so we put Avast on those two machines. Virus updates take 3 to 4 seconds. Program updates are longer, taking up to 7 seconds in some cases!

Why does Comodo take so long? Is it the format of the data? Is the program downloading the ENTIRE database and not just the new parts? There must be a way around this problem, others have found a way to make signature updates painless…

The feature set in CIS is fantastic and the ability to stop single processes or internet connections is great. It’s just the update stuff that is the PITS!

-O. D. Williams- :frowning:

There has to be something else causing the problem. I get the updates within a minute at the most and I can do anything else I want while it’s in progress. It never uses more than 30% of the CPU and I have a single core.

I’ve been running CIS on three machines for several weeks. ALL virus signature updates take up to 30 minutes and the machine is useless during the update. I have set all three to manual and still two of them update automatically.

Two of our machines are running Win2000 and cannot run CIS so we put Avast on those two machines. Virus updates take 3 to 4 seconds. Program updates are longer, taking up to 7 seconds in some cases!

Why does Comodo take so long? Is it the format of the data? Is the program downloading the ENTIRE database and not just the new parts? There must be a way around this problem, others have found a way to make signature updates painless…

The feature set in CIS is fantastic and the ability to stop single processes or internet connections is great. It’s just the update stuff that is the PITS!

-O. D. Williams- :frowning:

I saw this somewhere… it’s not my idea, but it works!

1. set/create a new profile for AV scanning a single .txt file…
  2. create an scheduled task to run that profile each day…
  3. disable “automatic updates” in all pages EXCEPT at “schedules tasks”…

Done! When that scheduled task run, shortly, scanning a single file, it will run an update…

Get it?

edit: this won’t “cure” the whole thing, but it will make it a little more “acceptable”…

Posts merged.

Please do not double post.

Dennis

Agree, the update process is something that Comodo should start considering looking into as a matter of urgency. Just have a look at the number of posts regarding issues with updates.

There are plenty of mentions regarding reducing the size of the files etc, but not much is happening. Is it planned for CIS 4 but it does not look like there are definite timeframes for the release of CIS 4 and if it is pending the completion of TimeMachine, then it is not going to be release in a short while.

Don’t get me wrong, I love CIS but the update process needs to be fixed.

Cheers

Nope. The problem is CIS and the way it updates. Why it affects some and not others is a mystery. I always thought it was just a difference in system configuration until the 3.12 update. I’ve run all the versions of CIS back to 3.5 and never had a problem. Then 3.12 was released and I get these massive update lockouts. Not fun…

If there was an issue with my system configuration, why did I have no problems until the latest release? Since the only changes to my system between the last release and the current one was doing a clean install of 3.12, my only conjecture is that it has to be an issue with CIS. There were no other software or settings changes. Simply, all fine with one release, major headaches to update with the “upgrade”… 88)

Maybe it’s because that person has dial-up connection, or maybe an old computer, or even computer infection. Just an idea

Maybe CIS 4.0 will have a option of often the anti-virus updates should be.

Like every 30mins(default I’m guessing ) , a scroll down option like choosing anywhere from 1-24 hours or even every other day, etc

It would help comodo save some bandwith and network load on there end and maybe some money too

P.S. In fact, I’ll put it on the anti-virus wishlist. :-TU

Check out the pic below, which was developed in the usability forum (link is only accessible to members with special status). We tried to compile all the update options into one window. Feel free to add to it.
Anyhow, the example screen below incorporates an option to set the interval between updates.
Perhaps some of these options will be implemented in CIS 4. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

As always, Whoop-dee-doo showcases some great usability concepts. :slight_smile:

However, I don’t see the “Don’t lock up my computer when updating” checkbox. :wink:

Under “Automatically check for virus/malware database updates”, I suggest adding a checkbox labeled “After CPU idle for X minutes”, where X is a numeric entry box. This is what some other AV publishers do.

I also suggest adding a checkbox labeled “Low/background priority” for the auto updates.

These two options improve the control the user has over update resource loading.

Finally, I suggest that the AV database supports quickly “ping ponging” between two databases. In other words, CIS uses one database for real-time scanning, while the other one is updated/built in the background. When the update is complete, there is a quick switch to the new database.