Virus Database Updates are VERY slow...

I assure you I have disabled AV updates, and get a balloon message to tell me when updates are available. I have done so by unchecking “Automatically update virus database before scanning” in the Real Time Scanning, Manual Scanning and Scheduled Scanning sections of the Virus Scanner Settings

Hello !!! I have to agree with dderrekk… I have disabled the auto-update functions the same way… (disabling across several option areas)… I disabled them as while active my machine would be dogged for anywhere from 35 minutes to 50 minutes while updating. I found the manual update process to be a “wee-bit” faster… (About 30 to 35 minutes…)

Is there something in the works at Comodo to remedy this ??? Even a downloadable update package similar to those available for various other AV progs ???

Don’t get me wrong though, the Comodo Suite IS SWEET !!! 'cept for the updates…

I’m also an IT Engineer. 42 minutes and counting on a clean XP Pro installed system with a 2.93ghz Celeron and 2gb ram. Next update should include a re-write of the definitions updating code. It’s terrible!

I think the initial file is up to 74MB now. Try doing this on a dial up connection. I currently have 3 computers running Comodo. I like it, but this initial installation download is about got me ready to say enough is enough and scrap it. Will take another ■■■■■ at downloading the initial database, if no sucess, out goes Comodo. This is rediculas. Comodo - FIX IT.

we hear you bandsaw and we are on with it…
we will start reducing the size and slowly but surely the size will decrease…pls bear with us just a while more…

thank you for your support.

Melih

Melih said:
we will start reducing the size and slowly but surely the size will decrease…pls bear with us just a while more…

Many thanks for the info there Melih !

Thanks for the replay. Can you give some answers then to following;

1. Can I take bases file from one of my other two installations, running the same version software, and put onto the machine that won’t complete the initial download because your server times times out after 4 hours (and about 80% of that massive 92MB fille)?

2. Can you give me a link to the bases file for the .531 file so that I can use an intelligent download monitor and get the file over a couple attempts.

You can copy the bases.cav between CIS installations. When you want to do so while running Windows you will need to disable D+ temporarily; you can do that by right clicking on the CIS icon in the systray → now change the Defense + Security Level.

Languy put a recent bases.cav on line: https://forums.comodo.com/anti_virus_help/basic_signature_pack_download_link-t41862.0.html;msg307130#msg307130 .

Or, you can do it the easy way that was added in 3.10.

Download the update to one of your machines. Then change the Updates host URL to the IP address of the machine that has the up to date database. CIS will then download the update from that machine.

I haven’t tried this myself as I only have a single machine, but that’s how the help file says it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I haven’t played with that new function. Anybody who has?

Same problem here :frowning:
very extra giga slow updates downloading …

the problem occurs since i switched to 3.5.
The previous 3.10 didn’t have this “bug” and was working like a charm ^^

But with this 3.5 it takes about one full hour to complete the first update downloading!
And now it’s hanging at 30% since 30min trying “upgrading the virus db”. And i can’t stop it (except by killing the process maybe :frowning: ) !!!

I wished it was a today server problem, but other reports here are from days ago, So maybe there is a fix or any workaround somewhere ?

I have a clean pc and a fast internet connection.

There we have the problem. Due to changes with the av update format you can’t use 3.5 anymore. You will have to change to 3.10.

The previous 3.10 didn't have this "bug" and was working like a charm ^^

But with this 3.5 it takes about one full hour to complete the first update downloading!
And now it’s hanging at 30% since 30min trying “upgrading the virus db”. And i can’t stop it (except by killing the process maybe :frowning: ) !!!

I wished it was a today server problem, but other reports here are from days ago, So maybe there is a fix or any workaround somewhere ?

I have a clean pc and a fast internet connection.

Cmdagent tends to use a lot of memory during the update process. Especially on computer with 512 MB or less there is a lot of paging going. To make that load less disable the av from monitoring the pagefile.

This idea is from mrahk: https://forums.comodo.com/other_general_gui_etc_bugs/xp_os_lockup_with_new_version_of_comodo-t40356.0.html;msg312280#msg312280 .

The hanging update have finally ended (105Mo downloaded from auto-update and more than 1 hour) :o

To confirm what u answered, the version number in the about box has actually reverted from 3.5 (manually downloaded & installed) back to 3.1 (after the huge AV update) >:(

So if I understand well, i should have installed 3.1 and not 3.5 :frowning:

thanx for your help :wink:

I have also this problem with new PC.
Virus update stops at 30%.and there is no clear solution in this forum.

The update appears to stop at 30% but if you give it time it will complete. It does take quite a long time after an initial inslall.

yes it completes after about 1 hour approx.

To see the update status, Open comodo, click the bottom right list process named “comodo updater” (or similar, can’t remember the process name), look in the list and you’ll see the number of transfered octects by the updater.

What is the av database number? Can you also post the full version number of CIS? Both of them can be found under Miscellaneous → About.

The full version number of the latest CIS is 3.10.102363.53. The av database number at the moment of writing is 1775.

CIS : 3.10.102363.531
VDB : 1782

I’m wrong when i say 3.10 is older than 3.5 ? (because 3.5 means to me 3.50 and not 3.05 xD) ?

Most people are thinking like that including yours truly. We even had a discussion topic about it. But 3.10 is newer than 3.5 and it doesn’t make sense…;D

thanx for confirmation :slight_smile: