Virtual Desktop/Virtual Notebook conflicts with Silverlight updates [M1036]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)

• Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.
  • Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    Every time
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    1:Open up the Virtual Desktop after installing CIS.
    2:When opening, assuming Silverlight is not on the computer, it will offer to download Silverlight. It downloads Silverlight version 5.1.10411.0.
    3:Silverlight version 5.1.10411.0 works correctly except that the Virtual desktop shown in Tablet mode was wider than the screen, meaning that some things off the screen cannot be accessed.
    4:Windows Update and Secunia will always download the most recent version, which is Silverlight version 5.1.30214.0. This is also downloaded with the normal Microsoft Updates as an update to the version installed through CIS.
    5:The problem with version 5.1.30214.0 is that the Virtual Desktop was set for Classic Mode and could not be changed, and the arrow was missing to flip to Tablet Mode.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
    I expected Virtual Desktop to display properly on the screen in both Tablet and Classic mode and for Security Updates not to affect the Virtual Desktop Gui.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    I have not.
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    Silverlight versions 5.1.10411.0 / 5.1.30214.0
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    The video driver is ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics Driver Version 8.632.1.2000

The dump downloaded from here:
http://www.myupload.dk/showfile/c4r34p.zip
is for the Virtual Desktop in Classic Mode.

There is a different dump file, which can be downloaded from here:
http://www.myupload.dk/showfile/c4b0c3.zip
which was created when the Virtual Desktop was set to Tablet Mode.

B. YOUR SETUP

• Exact CIS version & configuration:
    CIS version:7.0.317799.4442
  • Modules enabled & level. D Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    AntiVirus - Stateful, Firewall Safe Mode, AutoSandbox - unTrusted, Hips - Disabled
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    No
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5 or CIS6?:
    No
    [list type=lower-alpha][li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    NA
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    I used Chirons config from here:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
    OS version: Windows 7 x32 v. 6.1.7601 service pack 1 Build 7601, UAC on, Administrator account, Toshiba Satellite
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
    a=Malwarebytes, Emmisoft, SuperAntiSpyware b=none
    [/list]

[attachment deleted by admin]

I feel that this issue may be solvable. However, I am not sure what to advise, except for completely uninstalling Silverlight and reinstalling it. Therefore, I will temporarily move this to the HELP section of the forum.

If it does not seem that this is solvable after 7 days please send me a PM and I can move it back for continued processing.

Thank you.

Chiron,
Yes I think it is fixible.

To summarize :

1. When I installed CIS7 I already had Silverlight installed but the virual desktop did not see it.
    I deleted and downloaded a new version using Microsoft. The virtual desktop was now shown but the arrow to change between the virtual desktop and notebook was missing.

2. Deleted silverlight again and downloaded it through the virtual desktop (older silverlight version) Found by looking at settings that was Default was set to notebook and the arrow was now present and settings could now be changed by clicking on the Comodo C in the bottom left hand corner

Also discovered that the Virtual Desktop that was displayed in notebook mode was wider than the screen and could be pulled to the left to display hidden icons but as soon as the left button was released it would spring back to the right making it impossible to click on any icon or folder that might be just off the screen to the right.

1. Again deleted silverlight and downloaded again via windows updates. The Virtual desktop was shown more compact and all folders and icons were on the screen. No arrow visible and settings was set for virtual desktop and could not be changed

Did this 4-5 times deleting silverlight and downloading through windows updates or secunia (giving me the newest version of silverligh or deleting and downloading through the virtual desktop (would say either silverlight or Dragon was missing) and I would get the older version of silverlight.

Discovered once that if I did not delete the older version and then downloaded the newer version the older version was recognized. This might be bad since java, flash, all now recommend for security to delete old versions.

Thanks
UncleDoug

Why are you trying to update core Win components in a virtualized environment? Why are you doing that expecting it to work?

Silverlight is used by more than just CIS7 Virtual Desktop.

So if Windows Updates or Secunia says that there is a new Security Version out, Should I ignore the security update or install it ?

Oh this was NOT done in a Virtualized enviroment !

UncleDoug

Okay, it seems I may have misunderstood the previous response. I will move this back to the bug reporting board for continued investigation.

Please edit your first post so that it is in the format provided here. Just copy and paste the code into the first post. Then just replace the question marks with your responses.

Thank you.

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)

• Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.
    Virtual Desktop in default tablet mode (clicking arrow) gui Virtual Desktop gui beyond edge of screen, When pulling a folder or icon back when left button released item springs back to right, making it impossible to click on. Cassic mode is fine. Arrow allows changing gui and settings under the Comodo C bottom left corner works. This is with Silverlight downloaded through CIS7. When Silverlight was updated via Windows Updates or Secunia, only Virtual Desktop was shown (correctly) no arrow to change to tablet mode and settings under C could not be changed - Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably? :
    ?
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:

1:Even though Silverlight was installed CIS7 did not recognize it when clicking on Virtual Desktop.

2:Deleted Silverlight and downloaded through CIS7 Virtual Desktop setup. Tablet was default mod, Virtual Desktop was displayed with Gui expanded beyond edges of screen if an item was outside the screen on the right it could be pulled back to be viewed but when the left button was released the item sprang back to the right making it impossible to click on. Virtual Desktop appeared correctly in Classic mode. Arrow was visible and worked and Settings under C also worked.

3:Deleted Silverlight and redownloaded using Windows updates or Secunia. Default was Classic mode, Virtual Desktop appeared correctly. No arrow was visible nor was Settings under C able to be changed to Tablet mode.

4:Found that if Silverlight was not deleted would default to the older version of Silverlight.

• If not obvious, what U expected to happen:Expected Virtual Desktop to display properly on the screen in both Tablet and Classic mode and for Security Updates not to affect the Virtual Desktop Gui

• If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    ?

• Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version
    Silverlight versions 5.1.10411.0 / 5.1.30214.0
    :
    ?

• Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    ?

B. YOUR SETUP

• Exact CIS version & configuration: CIS version:7.0.317799.4442

• Modules enabled & level. D Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    AntiVirus - Stateful, Firewall Safe Mode, AutoSandbox - unTrusted, Hips - Disabled

• Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    No

• Have U updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5 or CIS6?:
    No

[list type=lower-alpha][li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
Silverlight

[/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
No
[li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
Used Chirons config

[/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
OS version: Windows 7 v. 6.1.7601 service pack 1 Build 7601, UAC on, Administrator account, Toshiba Satellite

• Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:Other Security software set to manual or disabled, a=Malwarebytes,a= Emmisoft, a=SuperAntiSpyware
    a=? b=updates to the previous
    [/list]

C. ATTACH REQUIRED FILES

• Always attach - Diagnostics file[nobbc], Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)
  • After you have attached the required files to your post please delete this section (section c) from your report.

Hope I did this correctly ?

Okay, let me see if I am correctly understanding this. Are you essentially saying that Tablet Mode only works correctly on your computer if Silverlight was downloaded through CIS? If it is downloaded through Microsoft Update or Secunia you are experiencing problems with Tablet Mode.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Chiron,

1. When I installed CIS 7 Silverlight was already installed but was not recognized when I clicked on Virtual Desktop. I uninstalled Silverlight and then used CIS 7 Silverlight setup download.

Which is the older Silverlight version 5.1.10411.0

The arrow appears on the Virtual Desktop and the settings were able to be changed under C in the lower left corner. It was set for tablet mode under C Settings and was displaying the Virtual desktop and could be flipped to the Tablet Mode by clicking the arrow.

Did not notice it immediately, but the Virtual desktop shown in Tablet mode was wider than the screen. Any item displayed outside the screen (in this instance to the right) could be pullled back in but when the left button was released it would spring back to the right making it impossible to click on it.

When Classic mode under the C was clicked only the Virtual desktop was shown and it displayed properly.

1. A few days later I ran Windows Updates and noticed that there was a Security Update this was
    Silverlight version 5.1.30214.0

This time Virtual Desktop was set for Classic Mode and could not be changed, and the arrow was missing. Virtual Desktop displayed correctly.

1. Did this multiple times and found when downloading through CIS 7 Virtual Desktop setup it would always be the
    older Silverlight version 5.1.10411.0 with the same results for that version of Sivlerlight.

I also downloaded via Windows Updates and Secunia which always was the
newer Silverlight Security version 5.1.30214.0 with the same results for that version of Silverlight.

1. Noticed one time after downloading the Security Update that the older version of Silverlight was not deleted and Silverlight defaulted to the older version and not the newer version.

Many times for security, if software will not uninstall older versions I will manually do it before installing the new version

Thank You
UncleDoug

Okay, let me see if I can correctly sum this up.

CIS always downloads Silverlight version 5.1.10411.0 which works correctly with the Virtual Desktop in every way except that the Virtual desktop shown in Tablet mode was wider than the screen.

Windows Update and Secunia will always download the most recent version, which is Silverlight version 5.1.30214.0. The problem with this version is that the Virtual Desktop was set for Classic Mode and could not be changed, and the arrow was missing to flip to Tablet Mode.

Does this now correctly summarize the problems you are experiencing?

Thanks.

Yes that hopefully sums it up.

Thanks again
UncleDoug

I have edited the first post. Please look it over and let me know if everything is correct.

Also, can you please provide some more information. Please note include a KillSwitch Process List and note the video driver you currently have installed on your system.

Thanks.

Chiron

Not sure how to attach the Killswitch Process List as the only format that Killswitch saves to is .csv and I cannot import that type file into a message

Thanks
UncleDoug

You can put that in a zip file and attach it to your post. It will allow it to be attached if it is in the zip file.

Also, please provide information about the video driver you are currently using.

Thanks.

I did notice CIS installed a vulnerable version of Silverlight, so I patched with Silverlight 5.1.30214.0/(KB2934150). Which you can download and apply manually without using Windows Update. I’m surprised that upon the initial installation of Silverlight through CIS, doesn’t fetch the latest KB by checking an index file hosted on a Comodo server, pointing to the location of the executable on MS’s server along with the checksums to verify after download (if you’re connected to the internet), as it is a dependency of Virtual Desktop. We all know how important it is to keep dependencies updated, especially if it’s for your security software.

(:NRD)

R1776, have you noticed any problems on your system with either of the Silverlight versions?

Chiron,

You summed up most of what was going on pretty well.

The video driver is ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics Driver Version 8.632.1.2000

attached you should find the Killswitch Report

Thanks again,
UncleDoug

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you I have added that information into the first post. However, I realized there is one more piece of information I need, and don’t see in that post. Is your OS 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks.

Chiron,

Althought the processor is an AMD Athlon X2 64

The OS is
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System type is X86 based PS

I have booted to see what it says on the screen and all it says is Windows 7 Home Premium. Neither 32 bit nor 64 bit is shown

So I presume it is a 32 bit O.S.

Thanks again,
UncleDoug

Please see this page to make sure. This is a very important piece of information.

Thanks.