Viewing Comodo Forum with Linux distro- issue

Hey everyone, I installed a linux distro, PcLinuxOS, and I’ve been having problems trying to access forums.comodo.com.

I’m using the firefox browser, latest version, with all the same extensions and theme that I’m using on my Windows laptop also using firefox with no issues. I’ve tried accessing the site through Yahoo and still get the same error.

Error: Error trying to validate certificate from ssl.google-analytics.com using OCSP -response contains a date which is in the future.

I’ve also tried using default firefox theme and others with the same error. I can still get to the website after I press ok, it’s just the error that comes up as I’m getting there. Also, as I’m navigating on the site I get this.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Dave

strange…we’re running the same distro and I don’t have any problem accessing the forum from Firefox. Have you got the same problem with Konqueror? You should try. If the issue’s still there it means something is wrong with your OS config, not firefox related.

I just tried something: I allowed Google Analytics (which I normally don’t) from NoScript, and I can still access the forum normally.

oups: I think I remember now I’ve had the same error message as yours a few days ago, after a new install of PCLinuxOS, and trying to login to Comodo. Not sure how I got rid of it…oh may be when I blocked with Adblock that item that appears in the left hand bottom corner of the forum (some Comosdo add). No, I allowed it again, it’s not that.
My god now I’m absolutely sure I’ve had the same message as yours, but I have no idea how it stopped.

Thanks for the answer, I’ll give that a try when I get home today. I agree it is strange because I actually didn’t have this problem at the beginning. I’ll also try turning off some other things like 3d just in case. I’ll also install (no script) which I never have and see if I can’t block google analytics.

Thanks for the response. I’ll post back later as soon as I get back to the Linux PC at my house.

Dave

Alright, just got home and fired up Linux.

The error mentioned above still occurs in firefox.
The error occurs in firefox in safe mode.
The error does not occur in Konqueror

So, what in Firefox is messing with Linux so that the error occurs regardless of whether Firefox is in safe mode or normal mode…

edit Just read your post Leopard19 that you’ve had the same error as mine. Funny, because I just did a clean install of PCLinuxOS a few days ago. It seems like it was right around the time the error started so it might be related to that somehow.

Now how’d you get it to stop?? lol

While we’re here, does stopping google analytics produce any negative effects?

Dave

so it’s not Linux. You should also check your certificates stored in Firefox. See if there’s a Comodo certificate (in authorities), could be related, not sure at all.

The best way out of this problem is actually to delete your Firefox profile in Linux. If you don’t know how to do it, or where it’s located in Linux, I’ll tell you (not manually but from the Firefox shortcut). It would be better to uninstall and reinstall Firefox itself too. Oh before you delete your profile, backup bookmarks, passwords etc…

(you said the error also occurred in safe mode which should mean that your profile is not corrupt, as all extensions are disabled in safe mode, but if I was you I’d make a new profile as well)

Leopard19, thanks for all your help…

My problem has been resolved though and fortunately I don’t have to go through all that trouble of deleting the profile and reinstalling firefox.

On the downside though, I feel like an idiot.

I also posted this on the PCLinuxOS forums in case it was a linux issue and someone made a comment about my date being correct…

…Sure enough my PC was set to January 17th. I swear I set it right to begin with but somehow it did get set back.

I changed the date and configured it to grab settings from time.nist.gov and I can now get access to the forums again with no problem.

In other news, I think I do know how to get access to my firefox profile in linux but would you mind telling me the shortcut. I usually go through home/.mozilla/firefox as the shortcuts I’ve tried to my profile usually don’t work.

As far as backing up the profile goes, I’ve tried to copy it to a location then on a reinstall of firefox delete the one thats there when the browser is closed and put in the older one but that just creates an error. Fortunately I’ve gotten around that with extensions FEBE and CLEO.

Now to install NoScript…

Dave

:SMLR, now that you say it I remember exactly why I’ve had such an error message a few days ago. I’ve been trying Mandriva and Suse again, and one of the two didn’t set the time correctly on my computer: I tried to connect to Comodo forum from there and had the error message about the certificate date and immediately corrected the time in the OS. I forgot about it cause I switched back (as usual :SMLR) to PCLinuxOS short after that (not because of the time issue lol).

Now for the shortcut modification, it is exactly like in Windows, you must modify the shortcut target line by adding " -profilemanager" (without the quotes and with a space just before). Click OK when done and you’ll get to a screen where your actual profile (in your case), is the default one. You can either keep it or delete it, and then create one that you can call whatever you want and locate wherever you want in your Home folder (then delete this shortcut or undo the modification). Depending on what extensions you have you can even use the same profile in Windows (the IE tab extension doesn’t run in Linux for instance :SMLR, the minimize to tray neither cause it’s a windows exe), or your profile from Windows. Don’t try to use a common folder for both OS (if you dual-boot), you’d need NTFS access from Linux + root access to windows partitions, not very convenient.
Now once that you’ve created a profile in the location of your choice, if it ever happens that you must reinstall PCLinuxOS in the future, and you haven’t deleted any of your home application files (all the hidden ones), and you’ve reinstalled using the same username and password, and Home is on on a separate partition (that you don’t have to format during a reinstallation), then the firefox shortcut (unmodified) in Linux will automatically find your profile. In Windows you need to show the path again after a new install. The Linux Home folder is imo really fantastic, as it can hold tens and tens of settings (including those for the 3D Desktop, Thunderbird, Kopete etc…anything customized). By the way if you use thunderbird and want to relocate your profile you can use exactly the same procedure as with firefox.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks a lot for that information. Did exactly what you said, created a new profile and just copied everything inside the old profile folder to the new one (minus the “chrome” files because they were protected), started up the new profile and everything was just as I left it. Simply amazing.

Thanks a lot for your help in this issue. Good to know it’s resolved.

By the way, I trued Mandriva and Suse also. Neither of them worked as well for me as this one does.

Dave