Version 6 Questions

Hi,

I have just updated to version 6 and appears to be running well. I would like to clarify on 2 matters which I could understand with version 5…

1. Termination Protection- I also use Win Patrol which I would like “Defence” to protect against termination. Could someone please explain step by step how to achieve this?

2. Sandboxed Browsers- Could someone please advise where the downloads go when using the sandboxed browsers?

Many thanks

Windows 7 Pro CIS 6 WinPatrol

Sandboxed browser’s downloads goes to the same forder as normal one, but you can’t see them in real system, only in kiosk.

CIS V6 was actually designed so it could be shut down by users through the task manager or similar programs. However, if malware tries to do it automatically it will be stopped.

If you want to easily be able to access files downloaded while inside the sandbox, download to the Shared Space folder, which is excluded from the sandbox.

Or add Web Browser Data Folders to sandbox exceptions :-TU
The download folder will become persistent after sandbox is reset

[attachment deleted by admin]

Just be aware that the more exceptions you make to the sandbox, the more holes you are poking in your protection.

As always, security takes a hit in the interests of convenience. :wink:

Just be aware that the more exceptions you make to the sandbox, the more holes you are poking in your protection.

As always, security takes a hit in the interests of convenience.

This makes good sense :-TU
I have been looking to add shared space to CD’s download location (see image) I cant seem to find it ??? any ideas ?

Is just adding C/User/downloads to the sandbox exceptions any more of a risk than using shared space ?

I have removed the Web Browser Data Folder from the exceptions, good practice I figure

[attachment deleted by admin]

I removed the default shared space and created a folder within the Downloads section and added this new folder to the exceptions, after that I also told chrome to always ask where I want to download my files, so now it’s easy to choose Shared Space or not.

great solution
thanks SanyaIV :-TU :-TU

I guess this will add a little extra security as its a non default custom location

Not really.

I was thinking more of excluding the data folders of your browser from protection by the sandbox. If you want to make any configuration changes to your browser, it makes much more sense to me to simply open the browser outside of the sandbox to do so. I’ve been doing this for years.

The more access you give to your browsers data, the more of a headache you’ll have if you encounter something malicious that wants to monkey with your browser settings.

:-TU