V5 playing up again

V5 has been working fine on my netbook for a few days until a couple of hours ago. The wireless connection searched in vain for a network, so I restarted the machine after which it connected ok. I checked “active connections” which appeared to be going off the scale, a couple of connections every second. It was fluctuating slightly but increasing at high speed. I exited the firewall when it was around 150 odd connections. I’ve attached a screen shot.

I closed the computer down and restarted again to watch the wireless search for a network address, which it did discover, yet at the same time informing me a new network had been discovered. I closed this dialogue box, but although I had a good connection, I was unable to log on to any websites.

Restores failed to fix the problem but uninstalling Comodo did. V4 worked fine no problems ever. I don’t trust V5. Are there versions of V4 out there somewhere? I did a Comodo clean out prior to finally installing V5, which was malfunctioning on its first install, but the clean up has left me with a broken V4, which prompts a bug report that I couldn’t send because I couldn’t get online. Help would be much appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Old versions of CIS can be had at Filehippo: Download Comodo Internet Security 4.1.150349 for Windows - Filehippo.com .

The traffic your logs show is traffic on ports 4447 and 4448. Those are the ports for the file look up system (FLS) of the cloud lookups.

Did you use system restore to get back to v4.1?

I would like to suggest to do a check for leftover of previously installed security programs as described in the following tutorial.

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are no auto starts from your previous security programs. Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting push Escape and go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

Thanks Eric

I did as you advised. I couldn’t recognise any startup options for old security programs, but I did find a non plug and play item called “serial” with a yellow exclamation mark on it. I don’t know what it is, or was - it wasn’t working so I uninstalled it. I also ran autorun and found a few items unattached to any files/processes which I’ve unticked.

I did use system restore to get back to try and get back to V4.1 I hope the need to go there is now redundant in the light of the following.

I thought the heavy traffic were the cloud lookups, having read a few other forum topics. Since posting the topic I had a few problems with a mobile broadband dongle which wouldn’t connect until I disabled the firewall, which I restarted after connection was made. After this I was unable to connect with my wireless, so suspecting a self created bug I uninstalled then reinstalled V5 and went very carefully through all my settings.

I discovered that in the predefined firewall policies containing rules for outgoing dns requests I had changed the source field to the comodo dns servers’ zone instead of the destination field. I don’t know if this would have resulted in the problems I mentioned, but having corrected those, thus far it seems ok. Thanks for taking the time to reply and pardon my oversight. :slight_smile:

Version 5 fixed issues with ppoe network adapters in Win 7. May be that’s why your dongle was not working with v4.1. What OS are you on?

I think changing the source and destination address of your DNS server rule made it work. Try reversing again and see if you can connect to the web or not …:wink: If you were to try this first run ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt to empty Windows DNS cache (otherwise it will connect to some sites and won’t to connect to others; leaving you behind with even more confusion).