V3 and Media Sharing on my 360

I need some help setting up V3 to communicate with my Xbox 360 so i can play media like before.

I tried to set up Comodo by opening up the necessaty ports for connection, but this was to no avail!

I am running a Windows Vista Laptop with Windows Media Player 11 and my 360 is updated wih the recent Fall Update, is there anything that i am doing wrong?

(BTW, i am sorry if i am putting this in the wrong forum, this is my first post here)

This topic is being discussed here
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comodo_and_windows_media_player_sharing-t16798.0.html

I don’t use an Xbox, so I’ll have to ask some questions. How is the Xbox connected to the laptop? Was it connected when CFP was installed? Do you have a home network defined in CFP (look at My Network Zones to see if there is an entry there for your local network)? I assume that WMP does the uploading of files to the Xbox - is it used on the Xbox also (I told you I don’t use an Xbox!)? Finally, have a look at the View Firewall Events page and see if you can identify the connections that are being blocked - they will probably mention WMP in the event. Note the IP addresses involved and the ports and mention them.

My Xbox is connected to my network which consists of 2 wireless routers (one router has disabled wireless) and a phone router.

I had it connected when CFP was installed, i was able to connect to my xbox when i didn’t have CFP, but only Windows Firewall (i have that disabled when i got CFP)

I have a home network designated in the safe zone.

I already uninstalled Comodo and i was able to connect in a heartbeat (plus my laptop is running much much faster now!

If there is a solution to all of the problems in CFP 3, i’ll reinstall is ASAP since it is an EXCELLENT program, but just a bit too buggy for me.

An update to the situation. I uninstalled CFP 3 and installed the test version available to us who have CFP 3 problems. I am able to connect to my Xbox without setting up any ports or going through any of the other tutorials available. I was able to straight connect real quick!

IDK if CFP 3 was the main cause of the connection problem, but i think i can say it was… not saying anything bad or whatever. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update. If I disable the Comodo FW my Xbox was able to connect to my Vista laptop Media Center. It’s good to hear that the test version FW works.

Darn! I just wrote a page long set of instructions about setting up your Xbox and now I find that the new CFP does it automatically!! See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911728 for the gory details.

I, for one, would be interested in your instructions

Where might those of us who are also having this problem find this “test” version? Thx

Here is a link to get test (beta) version FW. I’m just going to wait for the final release.
https://forums.comodo.com/cfp_beta_corner/special_test_edition_for_the_users_who_had_problems_with_cfp_3013268-t16824.0.html

I would also like to see AnotherOne’s instructions. The beta version may work now but you never know if that will change for the final release.

Set svchost.exe to trusted application and now everything works!

OK, here they are, but there are other things that have to be opened for WMP also:
To configure your Xbox 360, you will have to add the following rules to Network Security Policy:
click Firewall>Advanced>Network Security Policy. On this page, click Add and on the dialog, click Select and choose Browse. Using the browse dialog, navigate
to C:\Windows\ehome and locate the first file: Ehshell.exe and select it. Then still in the “Application Network Access Control” dialog window, click the Add button at the bottom of the window. Fill the boxes as follows: Action: Allow, Protocol: TCP, Direction: In, Source Tab: Any, Destination: Any, Source Port: 5555, Destination Port: Any. Click Apply. Then click Add again and select Allow, UDP, In, source Any, Destination Any, Source Port: 7777 Destination Port: Any.
Then click Apply and again Apply on the parent window.
On this page (Network Security Policy), click Add and on the dialog, click Select and choose Browse. Using the browse dialog, navigate to C:\Windows\ehome and locate Mcrdsvc.exe and select it. Click Add and enter the following: Allow, UDP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port: 3776, Target port Any. Click Apply and Apply.

On this page (Network Security Policy), click Add and on the dialog, click Select and choose Browse. Using the browse dialog, navigate to C:\Windows\ehome and locate Mcrmgr.exe and select it. Click Add and enter the following: Allow, TCP, Out, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port: Any, Target port 3932. Click Apply and Apply.

On this page (Network Security Policy), click Add and on the dialog, click Select and choose Browse. Using the browse dialog, navigate to C:\Windows\ehome and locate Ehexthost.exe and select it. Click Add and enter the following: Allow, IP, Out, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port: Any, Target port Any. Click Apply and Apply.

On this page (Network Security Policy), locate the entry for Svchost.exe, select it and click Edit. Making sure that “Use a Custom Policy” is selected, click Add.

On the dialog, enter: Allow, UDP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port 1900, Target Port Any. Click Apply. Then click Add again and enter (for svchost.exe): Allow, TCP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port: 3390, Target Port Any. Click Apply and Apply.
I was unable to locate this file, so you may have to search for it: Mcxnettw.exe. If you locate it on your system, you will have to Add one more rule:
On this page (Network Security Policy), click Add and on the dialog, click Select and choose Browse. Using the browse dialog, navigate to the directory found by searching and select Mcxnettw.exe. Click Add and enter the following: Allow, IP, Out, Any Source, Any Destination, Any source port, Any destination port.
Click Apply and Apply and Apply. Be sure to click the Apply button on any windows where it appears when you are finished with that window. The C:\Windows\ehome directory may be called something else on your system. If you do not find it in the Windows directory, search for the files named above to locate their directory using Explorer. For the reference used to create these rules, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911728

Thanks AnotherOne. I will give this a try.

I have just done a modification for using WMP. Make a Port Set (in My Port Sets) for svchost.exe with ports 2869 and 3390 and then write a rule: click Firewall>Advanced>Network Security Policy. On this page (Network Security Policy), locate the entry for Svchost.exe, select it and click Edit. Making sure that “Use a Custom Policy” is selected, click Add. On the dialog, enter: Allow, UDP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port 1900, Target Port Any. Click Apply. Then click Add again (or Edit the rule if you already have a TCP In rule for svchost.exe) and enter (for svchost.exe): Allow, TCP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port: Port Set defined above (2869 & 3390), Target Port Any. Click Apply and Apply. (Note that the original rule for svchost.exe contained a rule: Allow TCP/UDP Out from IP Any to IP Any where source port is Any and destination port is Any.
You might want to add rules for wmpnetwk.exe (you would have to either find it in the Network Security Policy list and select it and click Edit, or from the Network Security Policy page, click Add>Select>Browse and locate the entry for wmpnetwk.exe on your hard drive and select it):
Allow UDP In from IP Any to IP Any where the source port is in (ports 10280 - 10284), destination port is Any
Allow UDP Out from IP Any to IP Any where the source port is Any and the destination port is in (Ports 10280 - 10284)
Allow TCP In from IP Any to IP Any where the source port is 10243 and the destination port is Any

i tried this last night with no apparant success.

However when i strted the xbox up today, it has found the pc :slight_smile: it wouldnt play audio however, but on checking, it was because CFP was asking permission to allow WMP to run, once given, it streams audio fine :slight_smile: i had the same with video, but once allowed, that worked fine.

Many thanks for your advice, (I dont know how it worked, its still a bit to technical for me :))

so thats another resolved issue

cheers
Mart