Utorrent Security [Resolved]

I’ve installed Comodo and have it set up with Utorrent. Both working fine.

In reading the posts relating to uTtorrent setup it was stated to review the post made by Panic concerning uTorrent in Application Monitor. I have tried for some time but can’t find that post. Could someone post a link so I can read it or tell me how to set up uTorrent in Application Monitor securely?

Thanks.

Changed from paid version of Sunbelt Kerio to Comodo Pro and like the program. Looking forward to the next version.

Welcome, Seal8 (:WAV)

I’m not sure about the reference to a post by panic, either. :frowning:

If you have the green light, all is good; there is an application rule for uTorrent, probably created by your response to a Popup Alert.

My guess is, that if there is/was such a post about an app rule for uT, it would be something about creating a tighter security for the application by having:

Separate In and Out rules for the Application, and even for Protocol used (TCP, then UDP, rather than a combined TCP/UDP rule).

For the In rule, under the tab for Destination Port, you will enter the port for that protocol, as specified in both uT itself, and CFP’s Network Monitor.

That way you have an exact match all the way around, nice and neat…

So basically, your Application rules would look like:

Application: uTorrent (whatever the .exe is)
Parent: (set to “Learn” or defined - which it probably already is)
Action: Allow
Protocol: TCP/UDP
Direction: Out
Destination IP: Any
Destination Port: Any

Protocol: TCP
Direction: In
Destination IP: Any (or your external IP, ONLY if it is static)
Destination Port: 56132 (for example - whatever your TCP port is)

Protocol: UDP
Direction: In
Destination IP: Any (or your external IP, ONLY if it is static)
Destination Port: 47132 (for example - whatever your UDP port is)

Note: Be aware, these will only be of any real assistance if your Alert Frequency is set for High, which will include detail for Application, Direction, Protocol, and Port. If you have it any lower than that, the first time the application changes (update, etc) and you respond to an Alert to Allow it, your rules will be overwritten by one more general (lacking the Port detail); if your Level is higher, it will be overwritten to include the IP address. The former will remove the extra security you are trying to create; the latter will cause you to get alerts for each change in IP address.

LM

Thanks Little Mac. This is very helpful and understandable.

No problem, Seal8 ~

Based on your PM that you have the green light in uT, and that you are staying with default settings for now, I will mark the thread as Resolved and close it. We’ll consider this to be the “missing” post by panic, LOL, for uT application rules. ;D

If you need the topic reopened, just PM a Moderator (please include a link) and we’ll be glad to do so.

LM