Use Comodo with or without Vista Firewall?

Hi,

I hope you can help me out because I have just uninstalled Zonealarm and have freshly installed Comodo.

I have two questions concerning the useage of Comodo Internet Security on my Vista 32bit notebook.
I noticed that Zonealarm turned the Windows Vista Firewall off and took care of everything itself.
Now Comodo does NOT deactivate the Vista firewall which forces me to ask two questions and I hope you will help me :slight_smile:

1. Is it recommended to activate or deactivate the Windows Vista Firewall when using Comodo Internet Security (with Defense+)
  2. Does Comodo accept rules of the Windows Firewall? i.e. if a program is permitted to use a resource such as the internet in the windows firewall, will Comodo automatically allow that program as well or is the windows firewall basically meaningless?

I ask the latter because I just wanted to play Counter-Strike and Comodo, whcih usually asks me 10-15 times before allowing a program to use the internet (really 10-15 times becuase I have set it to high alerts) only asked my about counter-strike (or rather hl.exe) ONCE! The windows firewall asked me after that and no more questions since from either firewall.

I would like to ensure that all alerts and requests and permissions run through Comodo and I get asked.

1. Is it recommended to activate or deactivate the Windows Vista Firewall when using Comodo Internet Security (with Defense+) Yes
  2. Does Comodo accept rules of the Windows Firewall? i.e. if a program is permitted to use a resource such as the internet in the windows firewall, will Comodo automatically allow that program as well or is the windows firewall basically meaningless? Yes

X

the first answer is a bit unclear to me :frowning:

YES to an either/or question

So, should I activate the windows firewall or DEactivate it?

And Comodo really allows programs that Windows allows? If so, would it not be wise to deactivate the windows firewall and let Comodo do the work or does this pose a security risk?
Or did I misunderstand you and Comodo checks each and every program and protocol itself even if it has been preapproved by windows vista firewall?

You can use both, they wont interfere.
But I really think the windows firewall suck in comparison.

My β€œguess” is that you are as safe with only Comodo as you are with both.
I too had a hard time understand the first line.

But xiuhcoatl are you saying comodo import/use rules from Windows firewall (if active)?
Sounds sad =(.

To me that sounds like you mean that a program that gets allowed in Windows firewall will get allowed in comodo too? please clarify :THNK (:LGH)