Urlfilter - how it works

Here is draft help text from Google cache to get you guys started. I’ll check what more we can give you.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:K_WKpRNqpO0J:help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-522-6374-.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Also useful discussion here: https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/cis-7-beta-website-filtering-t101350.0.html;msg735047#msg735047

Please note a bug means it does not work in proactive at present.

HI!
How to add the site in the blocked?

to add some website link to block, it’s necessary to create your own categories.
and then add website links to that.
after that, the categories you made have to be added to the Blocked sites rule.
that’s it.

I think web-filter doing good gob. but, after blocking websites…
there aren’t any notifications. :o :o

How can I see what websites are included in the pre-defined lists like Malware Sites & Phishing Sites?

Just a few quick questions. Are there some sites which are blocked automatically or just sites which a user specifies? Second, are sites blocked from within the FV sandbox, or Virtual Desktop?

Yes, Comodo updates URL database to auto block them.

I would like to know. (While I didn’t establish 7 beta).

1. Comodo obtains data from the user about the blocked sites?
  2. By what principle there is a definition of sites?
  3. Where is a base with data about sites?
  4. Who solves about the power of attorney of sites?
  5. Whether there is a data collection from users?
    Thanks.
    :THNK

I don’t think you can, these are Cloud lists.

Just so everyone knows you add the Comodo lists by adding a category to a rule, you’ll see the Comodo Providers on the list of categories

Wouldn’t using comodo DNS servers work pretty much the same, if you only relied on the comodo lists and didn’t add your own sites?

They should be but I have not tried it!

Probably the same sites would be blocked, but DNS filters can be evaded by using IPs, resetting the computer DNS settings etc. URL filter should not be in principle, you’d have to uninstall CIS. Give it a go and see, report as bug in Beta bugs board if IP is not blocked :slight_smile:

Sorry Jenny for the delayed reply. Your questions are very good ones, but like all good questions, challenging to answer. I have been very busy, and I am just a volunteer, so please forgive.

1. I’m sorry I think Comodo would have to clarify that to understand it fully. Deliberate data collection (which is probably still anonymized before being permanently stored) is now supposed to be covered by installer settings, but I have not checked how comprehensive that is. There has always been one or more settings check boxes. In general, if your concern is privacy you may want to avoid technologies that check requests against cloud lists as these tend to lead to at least a temporary ‘cache’ records of requests, if only in virtual memory, including your IP, being held as part of the way the technology functions. Just as if you search in Google and click on links the servers are likely temporarily cache requests, probably whatever privacy options are chosen. You should be aware that your ISP also holds records of all web requests - and probably the ability to connect dynamic IP and customer name - indeed in some countries it must hold them by law for a certain length of time.
  2. I’m afraid that has not been disclosed in any post I have seen. I suspect Comodo uses third party lists and adds to them, like it does with DNS. I guess as you can from the names of the lists that the criteria are Malware hosts, and Phishing sites. I’m guessing that Web Inspector contributes to the Malware hosts list. Web inspector probably is not covered by the CIS installation privacy setting as it is separate browser add-in, but I am not sure. We have been told that some very innovative technology has been used in the phishing protection, but I have not seen a post on what that is.
  3. Good question, not sure there is an accessible one. If we can find out the third party lists Comodo uses, maybe they have such access.
  4. Sorry not sure what you mean
  5. Please see 1.

We may know more when we have a final help file. I have asked for one to be posted.

If you are really concerned about this stuff you should consider using an anonymising proxy of some kind, making sure you are happy with the privacy policy of the proxy, and with the privacy/security laws in the country that hosts it. (Or that the technology makes a identity connection impossible). And ensure all your apps go via it.

Best wishes

Mouse

Mouse
Many thanks for the a volume answer. :-TU
4. Point.
On it there is an answer from the previous points.
Once again I thank.
Yours faithfully.

NP. If you mean your previous PM I got it, but was rushing on QA issues.

Hopefully the above answers it.

Sorry.

Mike

Mike
Everything is all right. :-TU
Isn’t necessary will apologize.
I simply to wanted - what to ask in PM, but then changed the mind. :wink: I think isn’t necessary.
I think and so everything is clear.
Regards.

That’s good, thanks for telling me

Mike