Update issues

My anti-virus does not update:

1. I previously had AVG which stopped updating. Someone told me to drop AVG and come here
  2. Comodo anti virus also does not update
  3. AVG and Norton have been deleted ( from Control Panel) I’m concerned that there might be leftover bits)
    4.Other anti malware and registry software that I currently have includes Ad-aware, Ace Utilities,Spybot S&D, and Drivercleaner.net,
  4. I’ve tried disconnecting the router, but I still can’t update anti-virus even when directly connected
    6.The other computer on the 2 computer home network is still loaded with AVG and although I just noticed that it is not updating automatically, I was able to update manually. So I assume Comodo will also udate on that machine after I install it.

P.S. On another older thread someone recommended running Comodo Registry cleaner as part of the solution to fixing the update problem. I tried to download Comodo Registry clean but the download stopped because of a problem with System 32 cnat.exe

I was wondering if that was a related problem.

Anyone think they know what the problem could be?

Thanks

Ad Aware these days, even with the free version, has a service and a program running. Try disabling them or temporarily uninstall Ad Aware and try again.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the problems persists.

I triedto delete Ad-Aware using the Comodo software but Ad-Aware popped back up. I did delete (most of) Ad Aware using Control Panel (the icon is still there) Unfortunately CIS still does not update.

Can you explain this? I don’t know what you mean.

I did delete (most of) Ad Aware using Control Panel (the icon is still there) Unfortunately CIS still does not update.
Was the uninstall of Ad Aware successful? Did you reboot afterwards?

I initially tried using Revo uninstaller ( for some reason I thought that was a Comodo product). That didn’t work so I just uninstalled Ad-Aware from Control Panel. Then I rebooted. Currently if I go to Control Panel I find an Icon for Ad-Aware but the file contains 0 bytes.

After downloading comodo on dialup, took 6 1/2 hours, I have tried twice to update the virus database without success.

The window pops up showing 30% downloaded and then just stays there, Network defense shows 0 inbound connections and varies between 1 and 6 outbound connections, this after 3 hours of internet connection on the download site.

Seeing that this version of comodo is so large, is it intended only to be used by broad band users, and if this is the case is it still possible to download the original comodo firewall that caused no problems rather than try to use this version?.

Thanks,
KAKTUS.

The first AV update that needs to be downloaded is a big one. 12 MB size. In the process the progress indicator stays at 30% for a long time; this is deceptive.

What original version of Comodo do you mean? What version number?

I didn’t look at the version number Eric but it was downloaded from the comodo site on Saturday, so I suppose that it would be current version.

I left the computer downloading the database all night, that’s over 8 hrs and still showed 30% downloaded, so it seems that I was right that comodo is unsuitable for use by people on dialup.

As this limitation makes comodo unuseable for me I decided that the easiest way to solve the problem was to delete comodo and reinstall Avast and Ad-aware.

Thanks for the advice,
KAKTUS.

Previusly Norton was running on this computer, and although I had done an uninstall in Control Panel , I just ran the Norton uninstall to be sure. Unfrtunately Comodo still does not update.

Please try a clean install of CIS without importing your old configuration. Do as follows (and forget about removing the Legacy keyys; they are too much work):

Uninstall CIS and reboot. Then run [url=https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/comodo_system_cleaner_116494436_released-t37631.0.html]Comodo System Cleaner[/url] to get rid off registry keys.

Then delete the Comodo folders under Program Files, Program Files\Common Files, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ .
For Vista/Win7
Users%username%\appdata\local, Users%username%\appdata\roaming\ and \Users%username%\appdata\local\virtual store

To be even more thorough open Device Manager and set it to show hidden devices under menu option View. Then see if there are Comodo driver(s) left in non Plug and Play drivers. If so select the driver → click right → uninstall and reboot.

Now delete the following:
C:\boot.ini.comodofirewall (this file may not exist).
WARNING: Do not mistakenly remove the original “boot.ini”.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmdGuard.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmdhlp.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\inspect.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dl

a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComodoGroup\CFP and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComodoGroup\Comodo Internet Security
b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComodoGroup\CDI\1 *
*(If you have other Comodo products installed, delete only the values
for CFP)
c. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services
\cmdAgent
d. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services
\cmdGuard
e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\cmdHlp
f. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Inspect
g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services
\cmdAgent
h. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services
\cmdGuard
i. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\cmdHlp
j. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Inspect
k. KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services
\cmdAgent
l. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services
\cmdGuard
m. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\cmdHlp
n. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Inspect
o. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cmdAgent
p. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cmdGuard
q. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cmdHlp
r. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
\Inspect
s. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro
t. HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1202660629-746137067-2145843811-1003\Software\ComodoGroup\CFP
u. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT *
v. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDGUARD *
w. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDHLP *
x. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT *
y. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT *
z. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDGUARD *
aa. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDHLP *
bb. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT *
cc. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT *
dd. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDGUARD *
ee. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDHLP *
ff. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT *
gg. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT *
hh. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDGUARD *
ii. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDHLP *
jj. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT *
kk. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CFP_Setup_3.0.14.276_XP_Vista_x32
ll. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CFP_Setup_3.0.14.276_XP_Vista_x64
mm. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CFPLog
nn. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CPFFileSubmission
oo. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro

*Note: It may not be possible to remove these “LEGACY” keys. If you cannot delete them, leave them in the registry. However, I have subsequently found that you MAY be able to remove these keys in Safe Mode by using a third-party registry tool. To permanently remove them may also require modifying the Permissions for each key. See: https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_info-t17220.0.html;msg119226#msg119226

Now you should be good to go

Hi again,
This is the OP

Well I just tried to download a new Itunes and Windows install could not finish the install.

Summary

1. AVG could not update so I uninstalled it and got CIS
    2.CIS does not update
  2. I made sure Norton, AVG and Ad Aware were fully gone
  3. windows installer won’t install a new I tunes

Do these 3 problems point to one solution?

thanks

First try the Norton removal tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 .

What is happening when you are updating CIS? Do you get an error message.

Thanks
Yes, I ran the Norton uninstall last week. CIS does not update automatically and when I try a manual update I get an “unable to …” message.

It is not just CIS. Previously I had the same problem with AVG. Now I can’t download I Tunes either.

Currently I use FireFox as a default. Would it make any sense to revert to MS temporarilly to see if the browser is messed up?

Since both AVG and CIS are suffering from update issues I am afraid you may have some malware on your computer.

Please follow What to do if you’re infected - eXPerience Rev.2 and let us know us how things are going.