Update install issue

I’ve been using Comodo (in place of ZAP) for about 3-4 months now. I believe I have installed 2 updates in that time frame.

Each update was downloaded from filehippo. In both cases, the install routine required the uninstall of the old version before the new version would go in. A reboot was required in-between.

This is annoying and not good. First, I lose all my configurations when I have to uninstall and reinstall. Second, due to the uninstall and reboot, I am left without any software firewall protection until the new version is installed. Having a good deal of computer experience, I realized what was going on the first time I did this and unplugged my Linksys router until the new firewall install was up and running (I know that the Linksys router has a firewall but I haven’t paid any real attention to it and aren’t sure how good it is).

Is this how Comodo operates or am I missing something? Is there some way to upgrade without an uninstall first? When I used ot do an upgrade on ZAP, I didn’t lose my settings and wasn’t left exposed w/o a software firewall.

Yes, choose Update from inside the program.

And IF you must do an clean install, you can use a script that saves your configs (I don’t have the link to the script now, but look in the forum and I am sure you will find it…I think it is the first thread in the “Help forum”)

In future version, maybe in v3.0 (I’m only guessing now), you can save and load the configuration from inside the program.

It is not clear how update from inside the program works.

I assume you mean clicking on the “Updater” link. This looks like it doesn’t work when I have downloaded the update already. It appears that it has to do the download.

Also, I am not sure if it will install to my current location or will instead install to the default location? I have Comodo installed in D:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall.

And I also keep a copy of the download, which the auto update doesn’t appear to allow me to do.

SO it looks like I can only do a clean install each time, which means I am going to have to find that script.

This install process needs to be reviewed and enhanced.

Yes, it has to download the update itself and apply it itself. What’s so hard about that?
It will install to whatever directory it’s installed in now.

As I wrote previously, I keep a copy of all install sources. If a program downloads and installs itself, then I don’t have a copy. So I have to either find the copy it downloaded somewhere or go off and download another copy myself.

I also do not have any confirmation that the updater will in fact install into the current folder IF that folder is different than the standard default folder.

1: I don’t see the point - you can always install an old copy of CFP from FileHippo if you ever need the old install version for whatever reason. Download Comodo Internet Security 12.2.4.8032 for Windows - Filehippo.com

2: The updater installs to whatever place it is installed right now. If you need confirmation, you should join Eff.org or something.

What if I’m rebuilding my system? I don’t have a firewall up and I don’t want to go online w/o one. So how do I get a copy if I haven’t saved it in the past?

You can always download the newest from the site (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/) and save that. Then you will have a copy of the latest installer, and if you make a backup of your rules they are saved too.

Temporarily turn on the Windows firewall. If you do nothing but head straight for Comodo’s website, then the W.F. will stealth the ports so nobody will know you’re online until you get a chance to download and install CFP.

Yes, I know all that. The average user doesn’t know how to turn the Windows firewall on/off. They also don’t know how to work with the Windows registry nor construct or process DOS bat files to backup settings.

The point I wanted to make was that if Comodo wants the average user to adopt this product, then they are going to have to make an integrated solution that minimizes users having to jump through hoops AND doesn’t leave the user exposed w/o a firewall when installing Comodo.

This is all I am going to say on this subject at this time since it is becoming a waste of time.

iamme99,

You can add your thought/suggestion to the WishList, which Comodo monitors and works from when incorporating user-suggested changes. https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4612.0.html

That way you can be sure that it won’t get overlooked.

LM