Update failing, but not logging any events

I’m having an issue performing an upgrade, and I want to see if this is a known problem. I’m using just the firewall (version 5.3.181415.1237) on a Dell E6410 running Win7 SP1 x32.

I ran Check For Updates from the More menu and it said a new version was available. It downloaded the install package, unpacked it and started to replace files. After a few seconds I got a message that said it wasn’t able to find “inspect.sys”. At that point the installation stopped and left me with two options: Finish or Cancel. I clicked Finish and after a few seconds the dialog box was dispatched, the firewall was stopped (and not restarted) and the installation ceased. Rebooting started the firewall again, but it was still the old version.

I checked both the Windows and Comodo Event Logs but not a single event was posted anywhere, so it’s a bit difficult to troubleshoot what to do next. I did a search of my C: drive for inspect.sys and located 3 copies:

c:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\repair\inspect.sys
c:\Windows\System32\drivers\inspect.sys
c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\inspect.inf_x86_neutral_5379ce3149166da4\inspect.sys

Not sure where the install is looking for inspect.sys, but I get the feeling it’s not any of those places. However, since I can’t find any events I’m not sure what the real problem is. I searched the forum for “inspect.sys” but got no hits, so it looks like I’m the lucky one. 88) Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to rectify this problem?

If I were you I would uninstall version 5.3 and make a fresh install of the latest version. There were several upgrades between version 5.3.181415.1237 and the actual one. You are asking the install program to make too big a jump between versions.

Going from version 5.3.x to 5.5.x is “too big a jump” to make? Really?? Wow - to me that seems like a very minor update, but if what you’re saying is true perhaps not. It would seem rather sad if that’s the case though. ??? At the very least there should be some kind of notification that the install program is incapable of doing the upgrade, and that a complete reinstall is necessary (or the install program should offer to do it for you).

I’ll try waiting a little longer to see if there are any other suggestions, and if not perhaps I’ll try that.

Since there hasn’t been any additional posts to this thread I’ll assume this bug has no solution, so I decided to remove version 5.3 and just install 5.5 manually. That, however, has lead me to another bug… >:(

I went to Manage My Configurations and tried to export my firewall configuration. But I’m unable to because there’s an error that says I don’t have rights to the path, no matter what folder I choose (picture attached). I’m logged in as a local admin, and can read/write to all folders with any other program I try, so it’s definitely something with Comodo.

So now I find myself in a Catch 22: because of a bug with the installer I can’t upgrade, yet I can’t re-install because of a bug with exporting configuration files. Anyone know how I might be able to work around this? I’m at a loss.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bump ???

Anyone have an idea on how to resolve this?

bump… again.

Can you check the rights to the folder you are trying to save the configuration to? When needed try a take ownership procedure.

Or try saving to another folder. Are you running CIS as limited user?

Quoted from above: I’m logged in as a local admin, and can read/write to all folders with any other program I try, so it’s definitely something with Comodo.

I’ve even tried saving to 3 different USB thumb drives, but still the same problem. What’s the most frustrating is that there are no errors in the Comodo or Windows logs. There’s nothing to tell me where the problem actually lies.

I am stuck here. I asked the other mods to come and take a look.

I appreciate that. Thanks for the help… :-TU

Are you running UAC enabled?
Then even the admin isn’t admin all the time, please try to close the GUI cfp.exe by selecting ‘Exit’ on a right mouse click off the red shield in the system tray.

No try to start it with right mouse option “Run as Administrator” that should cause the UAC confirmation alert to show up, answer with YES and see if it works then.

I shut down cfp.exe and restarted it using “Run as Administrator”. Same exact error when trying to save to C:, D: and F: (thumb drive). However, this time Defense+ actually posted something. I’m not certain it’s of much value though, but I attached the log from all three events nonetheless.

NOTE: the file extension is .txt, but it should be .html instead. I wasn’t permitted to upload a file with the latter extension, so I had to rename it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Can you please verify if the process ‘cmdagent.exe’ is running? and does it make a difference if you set Defense+ Security level to ‘disabled’?

cmdagent.exe is indeed running.

I’ve tried to save the file with both Defense+ and the Firewall disabled, enabled, one disabled the other enabled, to different drives, different folders, using different file names, etc. Doesn’t seem to make any difference, no matter what I try. Vexing, isn’t it? :frowning:

I’m not sure if this will work as I haven’t tried it but can you try to boot in Safe-Mode and see if that helps?
If not only thing I can think of is use ‘Deactivate Defense+ permanent’ and reboot, if that also doesn’t help I’m out of options.