Update failed - antivirus engine is not initialized

Summary tab indicates all systems up and running, diagnostics reports no problems with the installation. When I try to do a manual database update or run a manual scan I get the “Update failed Anti-virus engine is not initialized” message. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Jeff

Edit:
Rewrote subject

Sorry I can’t help you other than tell you to do a search…use the word “initialize” and it will pull up all the past comments.

Unfortunately, I did that, tried the recommendations and nothing worked, so I’m still waiting.

I’m surprised so many of us are having this issue.

BJ

Hi Jeff,

This usually indicates that cmdagent.exe is not running.
can you check and see if the process cmdagent.exe is running ?
Can you also post which version of CIS you are running ?

Ronny, what does one do if cmdagent.exe is not running?

Well it’s not normal that it’s not running, so we have to investigate why it’s not running and or crashing during some action… viewing the windows eventlog for errors regarding cmdagent could give a clue.

checked my event log. Since this is a new laptop, there’s nothing there except a couple of entries when my Verizon connection failed or quit. That’s it.

Everyone on this board seems very helpful but I’m this close to being frustrated…

Can you tell me a bit more about your setup ?

What version OS 32/64bit language, other software specially security software no matter if it’s on-demand or real-time.

Does cmdagent.exe appear at system startup ? can you check services to see if it’s set to Automatic ?

Can you check the AV database version on the GUI, Misc, About ?

Jeff and Ronny…I got it to work.

I did some more reading here in the forums and decided to try something.
Here’s what I did - and maybe it will help someone else.l

First, I uninstalled the whole thing. Since I paid for this, I don’t know yet how that will effect everything…can’t remember if there was a number to enter for the paid version or not. Will check on that when I get home.

Then, I turned off Windows Defender, and re-installed it. Ater that, I went to update the virus definitions. It doesn’t really get hung up at 30%, though you may think so. It took me 45 minutes or so to download that - it was over 100 mb.

I checked on my version at that point, and it had gone backwards. Originally I had 3.12, but now had only 3.11. So I updated that as well, which took a few more minutes.

Good luck!

I think you have to register your serialnr online you can find on the GUI, Misc, About.

Then, I turned off Windows Defender, and re-installed it. Ater that, I went to update the virus definitions. It doesn't really get hung up at 30%, though you may think so. It took me 45 minutes or so to download that - it was over 100 mb.
Other security software can always conflict because security packages need high rights on a system. The 30% issue is a know "problem" there's also an FAQ for it at the moment the download is 105MB.
I checked on my version at that point, and it had gone backwards. Originally I had 3.12, but now had only 3.11. So I updated that as well, which took a few more minutes.
May i ask where you got the source from ? is there still a site that hosts 3.11 ?

Thanks for reporting back :-TU

Ronny, I had downloaded the original program from the Comodo website and saved it in a “Download” folder. So after I uninstalled it, and then re-installed it using the same setup file, it came up as 3.11…I know, I know…but I’m just sayin’ that’s what it said. (The original program showed 3.12.)

I don’t even pretend to understand how that came about.

But, it’s now working great, and all is well…even if I can’t completely explain how it got that way!

BJ