Uninstallation has caused Check Disk to run after every startup

Hi, I was having problems with the firewall and decided to uninstall it. However, after restarting, CheckDisk ran a file check, and has continued to do so upon every restart. What do I need to do to fix my system? This is what the screen shows:

Checking file system on C:
The type of file system is NTFS

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage1 of 3)
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)
Repairing the unreadable security descriptors data stream

Then Windows starts up normally, but runs the check and repair every start up. What do I do?

First, which OS are you running?

Second, how did you uninstall CFP? Did you manually edit the registry to remove keys associated with CFP?

Normally, the only time I have seen this behavior is when I re-partition my HDD or re-size the existing partitions. When CHKDSK completes on your system, does it report any bad sectors?

If you feel that your system and your HDD are otherwise operating normally, you can edit the registry to resolve this issue. Before attempting this, be sure to back up your registry.

Go to Start > Run > Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Look for the REG_MULTI_SZ value with the following name: BootExecute, and double-click on it. This value contains commands that will be executed at startup. The default value is: “autocheck autochk *” (without the quotes).

If you don’t want any checks to be performed, delete ALL autocheck entries. The only value remaining should be “oodbs”, which should NOT be deleted.

Close regedit and reboot. CHKDSK should not run. If it does, post back, and I’ll resume troubleshooting with you.

-Windows XP
-Uninstalled through Add/Remove Programs
-I haven’t touched the registry, I immediately restarted after the uninstall and this issue happened immediately.
-A query of checkntfs shows it believes the disk is dirty, does this matter?
-I will try the registry edit if you believe that would be better than a windows repair, or some other method to repair whatever security files were damaged in the uninstall.

thanks for the help!

Hi dchrist2

Is it possible for you to try a system restore to a point before installing CFP? If it is not a hard disk problem this may solve the problem.

John

It’s probably a little premature to run a repair of Windows. I recommend a little more research before resorting to a major overhaul of your OS.

I keep a system maintenance log (700+ pages since 1999, and counting…) and this is what I recorded back in 2002 about CHKDSK and a “dirty” volume, which refers to a “dirty” checkbit, and not physical contamination, such as dust:

According to Windows Help Center, if a volume’s dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.

A TechNet article, “Prevent AutoChk from Running” offers a script that can be run to prevent this procedure even if the dirty bit is set. Additional information is available at this Microsoft KB Article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506 and this article (search for “chkdsk” on this Web page), http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

At this point, I would run a registry cleaner (e.g. jv16 PowerTools) and see if that might help. Finally, check my post at: https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html

Failing that, perform a System Restore as suggested by John (JJasper). If you have no System Restore points, boot into Safe Mode, and select “Last Known Good Configuration.”

The registry edit has stopped the problem from occurring at start up. However, isn’t this just masking the problem? The “dirty” checkbit is still there, and not fixed which could lead to more issues in the future. How can I go about fixing the dirty checkbit if the chkntfs isn’t fixing it?

If you have WinXP files either corrupted or inadvertantly moved, you can “freshen” the installation (a lot easier than the “repair” option).

Click Start/Run and in the window type sfc /scannow

Windows will scan the “protected” files and re-write any missing or damaged files.

Here is a good link to a more thorough discussion of Scannow: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Hope this helps you

My thinking is, IF the dirty checkbit is still being set, then CHKDSK would run again. Is CHKNTFS still reporting the dirty checkbit? If so, I’m not sure I have an answer. And why CHKNTFS isn’t fixing the problem…I really don’t know.

If the system is otherwise booting and functioning normally, I would research the issue further. Some of the better defragmentation tools (O&O, for example) offer diagnostic utilities that might offer more insight into your issue.

In the meantime, you might follow tn_yank’s suggestion to perform a System File Check (SFC). But you must either have the Windows XP CD available or the Windows XP setup folder (“i386”, I believe) present on your system. I’ve not run “scannow” in a long time, so check the article in tn_yank’s post.

The system file check didn’t return any errors, so that’s good I think, however chkntfs still shows the dirty checkbit. I will check out O&O and see if that helps.