Uninstall doesn't uninstall. This is VERY bad.

I’ve had CAV and CPF installed on all of my computers for a couple of weeks but it was slowing things down too much on my wife’s old AMD so I uninstalled. Of course I had to reboot and when it came back up I got an error dialog with the message “CAV003 On Access Scanner Disbled.” Well of course it was, it’s not installed anymore.
So, I killed the cav processes, two of them I could find, and deleted the Program Files\Comodo directory and rebooted again. Same thing happens. the Comodo directory was even back. Not good, gentleman, if something is uninstalled AND deleted it’s got no business reinstalling itself.
So once again I killed processes and deleted the directory. I also used msconfig to turn of the CAVMain at startup, rebooted again. Keeping count? This is the third reboot.
SAME THING HAPPENS! This is too much. I understand that an antivirus needs to be hard to remove because of viruses, but this is absurd. Talk about malware!
Finally I got down to business. I performed all of the steps above and cleaned out every instance of Comodo in the registry. I also deleted all of the Comodo directories from the Application Data, Local Settings and UserData directories in my home directory.
I’m not getting the CAV003 error anymore but the MS Install initialization screen is showing up several times when I boot, so I’m not done with it all yet.

In general I am very pleased with CPF and CAV, but this mess has disappointed me greatly. I thought you guys were better than this.

I’m going to send this email to the support address too, but I thought people might want to know what they are getting themselves in for. You’ve been warned.

I tried to uninstall CAV (because my system was running unacceptably slow) using Control Panel -> Remove Programs but the install failed, apparently because the uninstaller could not find the CAV.msi.

Seems like many people cant install due to missing installer files so do you use any computer maintenance programs that may remove temp files or registry entries cause it seems installer files are removed accidentally after being put in a temp folder known to the cleaning program or the installer files were moved because of editing a registry entry or other program installations moved it.

Im no expert with computers but install programs every day and use CCleaner to clean out reg entries and temporary files.

We are working on a new installer/uninstaller. We had many problems with Installshield (third party provider) at few levels so we have our own installer designed.

apologise for the inconvinence.

Melih

Melih

I sent email to the support email address just after my original post and I haven’t heard anything back. In the meantime the windows installer starts and stops over and over whenever I do anything on the computer, and there are hundreds (no exageration) of entries in the Event Viewer.

I need a solution to this.

Hi,

Please IM me with the details of the email address you used to email support.

Garry Bickerton
Head of Global Support and Customer Care Manager

Garry,

I don’t have IM, but the email went to support@comodogroup.com. Here’s the content of the email:

I’ve had CAV and CPF installed on all of my computers for a couple of weeks but it was slowing things down too much on my wife’s old AMD so I uninstalled. Of course I had to reboot and when it came back up I got an error dialog with the message “CAV003 On Access Scanner Disbled.” Well of course it was, it’s not installed anymore.
So, I killed the cav processes, two of them I could find, and deleted the Program Files\Comodo directory and rebooted again. Same thing happens. the Comodo directory was even back. Not good, gentleman, if something is uninstalled AND deleted it’s got no business reinstalling itself.
So once again I killed processes and deleted the directory. I also used msconfig to turn of the CAVMain at startup, rebooted again. Keeping count? This is the third reboot.
SAME THING HAPPENS! This is too much. I understand that an antivirus needs to be hard to remove because of viruses, but this is absurd. Talk about malware!
Finally I got down to business. I performed all of the steps above and cleaned out every instance of Comodo in the registry. I also deleted all of the Comodo directories from the Application Data, Local Settings and UserData directories in my home directory.
I’m not getting the CAV003 error anymore but the MS Install initialization screen is showing up several times when I boot, so I’m not done with it all yet.

In general I am very pleased with CPF and CAV, but this mess has disappointed me greatly. I thought you guys were better than this.

Not sure but I believe Garry ment PM, just click on his name to view is profile then toward the bottom click send this member a Personal Message.

PM…IM…all the same to me ;D

;D ;D ;D