Unified Application Control

I really appreciate your great work in designing all beautiful/elegant and yet powerful UI design to “control” application behaviour control, which is already present in CIS but in a chaotic/“not easily approachable” manner.

I hope that the Devs of CIS consider this seriously and soon implement this in future versions of CIS.

Thanks for your work.

actually the tables and dropdown/combobox is okay for me but thinking for ordinary users they may get overwhelmed of what it looks thats the reason i voted “i like most” if i didnt considered it i would have gone for “i like all”

for the alerts i was just commenting it for this post though i did read the charrette but my mind got confused and shutdowns or lazy to process it ;D

I don’t know how much I would use this if it were implemented but I wouldn’t mind at all having it in CIS.

Not to flame or anything.

Glad to see Dch48 appreciates the concept of Parallel UI’s.

Probably the ground to take here would be keep Basic UI as current default shown and checking an Advanced Setting toggle’s to show users all the Advanced tab’s, options, toggles, features.

Although Glifford’s a wee bit circumspect about the toggle it does seem to be an option to hide features and keep the Default UI to Basic.

Does make the Dev’s task 2X harder though.

Cheers

My indictment of the advanced toggle is this: It’s a nondescript and arbitrary abstraction of the contents and function therein, and so is an obstacle more than a convenience.

“Novice” and “Expert” functionality aught to blend, and if a UI is well designed, expert features aught to be presented simply and directly enough to be approachable by a novice user. My designs, in that regard, have a bit of a ways to go. That considered…

I feel we’ve been somewhat ruined by the fact that the CIS UI has been relentlessly feature-incomplete in its employment of standard widgets. The rules table in this mock up is by no means inert, and the various fields can be hidden or shown via the appropriate context menu. By merely enabling only the Description field, the user is presented with the equivalent of the current UI’s rules list.

However, I consider a table far more accessible than a list here, both in approachability and usability. We’re used to the list, which makes it familiar, but it is unwieldy and it’s really not so easy on the eyes. Assuming those little buttons in the table only show on hover, I really think the table is far more appropriate to both novice and expert users.

EDIT: Just updated the original post with some images that I think demonstrate some of the superiority of the table.

Very nice work glifford.
More colour would be nice though but never the less i like it. :-TU

I’m much more in favor of a default Basic UI like the current one with a toggle to switch to a more advanced one. I do not think they should be combined. That would scare off too many people trying CIS for the first time.

I’ve attached the window that my design seeks to replace… is this what you’re referring to as the “basic” “current” UI?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Update:

Added File Rating information and reformatted the screen to hopefully be more friendly than the previous iteration. For reference, the previous iteration is attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Update…

Made a number of miscellaneous tweaks to the summary and network control tabs to hopefully clean them up and make them less overwhelming.

Hello glifford,
Do you happen to have your creation in an application form? If so, I’d certainly like to try it. I especially like the individual application control you initially introduced in Charrette which is sorely lacking in CIS at present.

Thanks. :).

Bob

Stickied… :slight_smile:

I like the concept, however:

Whatever toolkit you’re using atm, can we switch to one that doesn’t hang as much? That’s my primary gripe with the current UI (I like the L&F though). It almost feels like someone wrote it in WPF and I’m waiting for a JS callback to come through…

Could we get the configuration import/exportable as yml/json? That’d be amazing for two reasons:

• wide support, easy plug-ability into web frameworks, easier to tweak by hand and share.
  • Support for application bundles - a lot of programs these days aren’t one or even just two executables, there may be four or five runtimes, and a wide library of functions.

Glifford I love you bro. Keep up the good work, the more that features and unification gets pushed the better comodo seems to get.

This looks fantastic, I’d certainly welcome it.

Hi, new to the party here.

I don’t appreciate Comodo’s slide-out buttons. Honestly, I think they’re too subtle when collapsed and that they should be expanded by default or permanently attached to the UI.

They may not be alerts themselves, but I would greatly appreciate being able to access these dialogs directly from the alerts so if I’m going to have CIS commit a new rule, I can modify it before it gets saved.