unfortunately I have to uninstall comodo today.

:‘( :’( :cry:

I used zone alarm before, and have use kerio for a few years.

I tried to use comodo. But I have to uninstall it after about 1 week of use for following reasons.

First of all, I am not a typical users. My laptop has two physical gige interfaces + wifi + 2GB RAM + 100G Harddisk, + 2-3 linux vmWare sessions running all the times with 3-5 bridged network interfaces for each Linux session.

I connect and disconnect different physical and wireless network about 10 times a day.

Pro for comodo:
It handle the vmWare network better than Kerio. Comodo lets the bridge traffic to go thru, kerio does not do that.

Con for comodo:
1) Kerio will block an application from start another exe. Comodo does not do that. With kerio, my real player session does not allow to call firefox to open a URL. With comodo, I can’t control if the realplayer or other programs can call firefox anytime it feels like.

2) The comagent.exe uses 100% of CPU after I disconnect and reconnect the network cable.

This does not happen in kerio. I use the trick mentions in the forum about setting the log file to readonly, but it does not help me. I have to disable comodo and re-enable the firewall to fix the CPU usage problem. I notices wakeup my laptop from standby to running also cause the system to slow down to unacceptable level when comodo is on. 10 seconds wakeup time become 5 minutes when comodo is on.

3) I am confused by the comodo's components blocking features.  A few times I try to use that, it basically block all the firefox traffics.  Disable the firewall and the traffic flows again, I know the component firewalling is causing the problems.

I sincerely hope future version of comodo can fix these issues. I can definitely see the potential values in it. But for now, it is too much trouble for me compare to kerio.

:frowning:

One other problem I found since I uninstall the comodo.

With Comodo, I can not use my AT&T 8525 phone as a 3G modem. It just does not work, even stop the firewall function completely.

After I switch out comodo, the modem function works automatically. BTW, 8525 is FAST on 3G network, over 800kpbs, I like it.

CFP 3 is on the way. Counting the days for its release. I hope you will like it better.

Egemen

I also used Zone Alarm a few years ago, settled on Kerio, and recently decided to try Comodo 3.0.9 (recommendation of Scot’s Newsletter; “leak” tests). After one month of using it I have now uninstalled.

I connect to 2 WAPs daily (work, home), and other networks 2+ times/month. I’ve noted:

Pros:
Comodo has admirable resource usage under full load (multiple ports, multiple addresses), and good pass-through for VMWare.

Cons:
(1) Comodo’s GUI is difficult to find and use. The Icon view is crowded with text, and very space-consuming. Finding the right option is difficult. The initial nomenclature is misleading or confusing (e.g. the Application Firewall is named Defense+), and makes the product seem (too) flashy.

(2) There are GUI problems:
Auto-scrolling in “View Firewall Events” renders slowly- must wait for the entire list to render, because each item is being added to the list, and then re-rendered. (DuoCore on xpSP2) Then, when you notice a mis-configured rule: can’t right-click to correct, must write ip:port in notepad, then change the rules accordingly.
In “Applications for Review,” there is no way to multiple-select: there are no keyboard shortcuts (down + spacebar to mark a checkbox), or mouse (Shift+clickListItem) to mark a number of them. There is also no checkbox to auto-purge- must keep clicking the Purge button.

(3) Firewall rules:
· No default ports are configured for LANs:
·· 631 - Internet Printing
·· 1900 - uPnP - for port mapping
·· 137-9 - NetBIOS - for Ms. File & Print Shares
· Clicking block permanently blocks an application attempt on my system; not even temporarily for a few seconds- but permanently. There’s no easy way to release the setting.

(4) Defense+ is not useful:
· There are too many pop-ups that I’ve disabled this option after one week. There is no option to assume all existing files are safe to execute; no automatic switching to installer-mode on running the MSI installer; no option for excluding entire directories (mine have correct permissions set) to the assume-safe list to reduce the pop-ups.
· MSDN’s DropMyRights reduces the possibility of exploits in most common programs, for those not running in common user mode.

I do see some potential in Comodo, but it is simply too difficult to use by comparison to Kerio or OnlineArmor2 now. It is certainly much better than the usability of Jetico, Outpost, and others.

Clean PC mode assumes all files are safe… this is a very clever Patent pending feature that I love and use on all my machines! It literally reduces popups to a negligible level.

Melih

CleanPC mode adds processing time (reduces responsiveness) for each application you scan; and adds all extra files into files for user review. The process is just CPU-cycle and time-consuming for the end-user. Personally, I don’t have time to enjoy taking care of my PC fleet- I prefer to employ methods that manage themselves. Please give me a solution that does and I’ll use it; 10 of 33 firewalls[1] already provide similar protection when correctly configured in multiple layers of protection (albeit at cost of user experience or resource usage, which Comodo nearly has).

Forgot to mention that in 3.0.11 RC1, Defense+ continues to come up even when Inactive; should just scan the PC initially and add a list of applications with an access-date used 45 days ago not in the Temp\ directories. And strangely, in 3.0.11 the color scheme is orange for Firewall and Defense+, confusing.

There’s a some work left on this application before it’s ready for another test-run.

strange… cleanpc mode design is such unique architecture that it does not scan (patent pending solution) hence its so very fast! Very weird that it slows your computer…

Melih