Unable to uninstall manually to Upgrade

Well, I went to upgrade to the current version today, although I had a v3 installed. Because I wasn’t sure which if any upgrade download would work I just re-downloaded the whole thing again.

Then, after I uninstalled, I chose NOT to reboot, and then continued with the installation. However, cfpres.dll apparently was then deleted on boot, and so now the FW will not function, nor can I uninstall it now, either with the installer, or manually (per the pinned post above!

Basically, the installer won’t install unless I uninstall, and when I uninstall it fails to find cfpers.dll, and then exits. If I tell in “No” don’t uninstall, it just exits! (That should be fixed!!)

Finally, I am unable to delete the non-plug-n-play Comodo devices, or run the Control Panels uninstall per the pinned post. So, how do I get this thing to install again now?

This means that right now I have no firewall running and cannot install one!

Help.

P.S. I would have to say that although this is the first bad experience I’ve had with this firewall, I would say that the installer SHOULD NOT require the previous version be uninstalled if at all possible, this is just a pain in the ***. My 2 cents.

Generally, you should reboot after an installation routine, if the program prompts you to do so.

You can replace cfpres.dll in the Comodo program folder by going to this link:
https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t18669.0.html

No question that the uninstallation routine needs to be overhauled. But Comodo is working on it.

Post back when you have time and let us know how things are going.

Generally, programmers should not program a dialog box with an option that will cause an unrecoverable error such as this too, but that’s life in the big city.

You can replace cfpres.dll in the Comodo program folder by going to this link: https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t18669.0.html

Thanks, should have thought to search for that filename, but problem is already solved now.

No question that the uninstallation routine needs to be overhauled. But Comodo is working on it.

Post back when you have time and let us know how things are going.

I solved the problem by going into safe mode and then running the registry script available in the pinned forum topic and then rebooting.

Then, I installed without an issue, but it did not appear to work (but I may have needed to wait longer) so I then use the menu entry it created to uninstall it, which did now work.

I then rebooted, and then reinstalled. This time it not only installed, but eventually showed up in the task bar.

I do wonder that now that it starts last vs. first if my system is at risk during a boot.

Patrick

No, your system is still protected when it first boots. There is typically a substantial delay before the CFP icon appears in the system tray.

I’m sorry it took so much work to get your issues resolved, but persistence pays. I think we’ll finally see a cleaner, leaner and more-robust version of CFP released before too much longer. Let’s hope that our collective patience will be rewarded.