Unable to obtain e-mail certificate using Firefox 2.0.0.3

Note: The following issue has already been entered as a support ticket - RUN-983260.

Issue:

When attempting to obtain an e-mail certificate using Firefox 2.0.0.3 (latest version as of 4/13/07), the attempt to “continue” and obtain the certificate fails, and throws the following error in the Error Console:

(I’m sorry for the very small typesize - that appears to be the default for “code” blocks, and I can’t change it, even by using “size=”)

Error: getCSPName is not defined
Source file: https://secure.comodo.com/products/SecureEmailCertificate_Signup
Line: 125

The result of this is that, after filling in the certificate registration information and selecting “accept and continue” at the bottom of the page, the page merely refreshes itself, the certificate process does not begin, and no certificate is ever issued.

Note: When repeating the same process using IE 6.n on the same machine, the process continued, and the certificate was ultimately obtained and installed.

I have submitted as an attachment to the ticket a text file containing a whole litany of warnings, etc. that were generated in Firefox 2.0.0.3 while navigating to the certificate registration page.

(attachment subjoined below - in case it didn’t make it to the trouble ticket.)

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi,

On the pages prior to the ordering pages we state: Internet Explorer Only

This is due to the activex controls we use during the application process.

Our developers may, one day :THNK , implement alternative versions for other browsers.

Garry

Note: The following text is the same text I submitted as a “reply” to the support queue, in response to the latest reply for issue RUN-983260

Sir,

I don’t mean to sound disrespectful, but did you even LOOK at the web pages in question? In my steps to reproduce, I specified the following steps:

1. using a non-IE browser, go to www.comodo.com
  2. Select the “Free Products” menu item, and from within that select “Free Tools, scans, and downloads”
  3. From the right hand pane, select certificate services, which brings you to the “Certificate Services” page.
  4. From the right hand pane, select “Free E-mail Certificate”, which brings you to the Free E-mail Certificate page
  5. Select “Get your free e-mail certificate NOW!” - which brings you to the Certificate application page.

(attachment: Comodo issue.zip - containing JPG’s of each of these pages, as seen from my computer)

Note that on NONE of these pages is there ANY mention of browser requirements or restrictions.

Jim

(rant)

(:AGY)
This is exactly the kind of non-support, support that I have come to expect from the likes of McAfee, Symantec, et. al. However, this is NOT what I expect from Comodo.

I have worked as a technical support analyst for many years - and as a senior software QA analyst, I am expected to participate in support calls that the “normal” support process cannot handle - and then send a report of what was done, and how it was done, back to the support center, so that they can get it righ the next time.

One of the absolutely bedrock principles of effective customer support is to “try to reproduce the failure the same way the customer did” - and in my case, I provided explicit “steps to reproduce” so that the support analyst could see the problem from the customer’s point of view.

The reply I received was, in essence, a “don’t do that” kind of reply.

I’m told that it is explicitly mentioned that non IE browsers are not supported when applying for a cert - and that it’s on the pages preceeding it.

OK, I’m game. I looked at those pages, and I’ll be darned if I can find any mention of this process requireing IE… (and I’ve attached screen-shots, so you can see exactly what I saw.)

So - we’re right back to my original gripe:

1. There is no mention of IE being required.
  2. Non IE browsers fail, and even worse, don’t give you any indication (that a “ordinary” user would understand) that something has failed…
  3. A hard dependency on IE forces non-IE users - especially on the Mac - to avoid your services.
  4. If we assume a hard dependency on IE, then the web page should be coded to display an alert of some kind to non-IE users, when they come to this page.

Simply saying “OK, don’t do that” and then closing the issue - is just the kind of non-support support I don’t want to ever see from Comodo again.

(/rant)

Attachment: A zip file containing the screen-shots referenced above.

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

I didn’t see anything about IE being required, either. I used a couple different routes to get to that page, and didn’t see an IE references on any of them. I did see email client requirements, but not browser.

LM

Jim

Unfortunately the code for the free email cert provisioning only works for IE (at the moment). we have scheduled a dev time to get it to work for other browsers.

its not ideal and we apologise. We will resolve it as soon as our dev guys can…
Melih

Melih,

I appreciate your candor here.

The whole reason I even opened this thread was that I did not find anything that would guide me - or other users for that matter - down the path of righteousness. And, even worse, being told that the information was there for me to see - when I darn sure know it wasn’t… 88)

Is it possible that - for the time being - when the user of an non-IE browser gets to the application page, that the web site pop up something to tell him that non-IE browsers are (as of this time) not supported?

This will save everyone a great deal of frustration.

Thanks!

Jim

p.s. and if - in my previous reply - I was a bit harsh, you all have my humblest apologies.
(:SAD)

Getting a seeming “■■■■-off” by tech support is (unfortunately) one of my hot buttons, since I work many long hours to make the products I work with as user and support friendly as possible.

I am truly looking forward - once this tax season ends! - to really taking the time to sit down with your products and give them my best critiques.

No Probs Jim…

I will see where the dev is on this on our schedule and see if we can bump it up a bit. This is becoming more of an issue for us lately :frowning:

thanks

Melih

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, it appears our web page devs have removed the IE ONLY notification from the web page.

I have asked them to add it back in urgently.

Garry