Unable to log in - Password reset not working

The password reset procedure to me working since May 30th. I want to say that on May 30th I finally received the e-mail with the link for the reset, therefore, having changed the password, I was able to enter the forum again. Thanks for your work and the explanations provided! :wink:

My aim was to create some “Questions and Answers” here for those who could not login yet and to provide them with some information, hope it helped.

Looks like things are getting sorted out and going better. :slight_smile:

It should be understood that if there is a problem with the Comodo server sending the password reset when you click on “forgotten password”, it doesn’t work
The SMF forum is based on a PHP + MySql + Server Network couple
As explained above, management, maintenance and troubleshooting is the responsibility of the administrator.
The MySql database contains the emails of users with a SHA-1 encrypted password in relation to the ID

It is still buzzing through my head that SHA-1 is broken long time ago… :frowning:

In cryptography, hash functions allow to calculate a unique fingerprint from an input.
Hash functions have various applications, including the ability to calculate the unique fingerprint of a file or to store passwords securely in a database.

The other thing to be aware of is that the calculation can only be done in one direction.
This calculation is irreversible, i.e. you can calculate the fingerprint of a phrase or file but you cannot retrieve the original phrase or file from the fingerprint.

To try, you can use the following generator http://www.sha1-online.com/ which allows you to calculate hashprints.

To decode an encrypted password under SHA-1 you need a super calculator which today takes about 1 hour provided that the password has only 8 lowercase letters
The number of passwords in the Comodo forum database is staggering so no interest for the hacker.

If you really want to delve into SHA-1 and the associated Cryptographic backgrounds, then here’s a good start from one of the best: Bruce Schneier on SHA-1

but a new thread would be appropriate so this one doesn’t stray too far off course - Comodo Forum

in my case it says that my registration request needs approved by an admin before i can do anything so i’m not sure if the problem fixed yet :-X

You can post - everything looks fine for you

https://forums.comodo.com/general-discussion-off-topic-anything-and-everything/unable-to-log-in-password-reset-not-working-t125897.0.html;msg899017#msg899017

Not that - yet! It’ll be sorted when all this is fixed by Comodo

Thanks for supplying that info, I will certainly have a look at it.

I mentioned it because it went through my mind that some could (maybe) be in jeopardy when they use the same or more or less the same weak password for both email and profile.

Following best practices by using strong passwords and not reusing them across multiple sites is their responsibility; not yours.

Sorted now changed password.

I was able to change my password on May 27. I suspected a breach, and now we know.

Hello all,

There was some issue in the mail.ru was not accepting email and the only references we can find are in Russian. It should be fixed now and we don’t find any issue with non-mail.ru accounts.
If you still have problem with login please let us know your email id via PM we can investigate it.

More Information:

If you can’t find the message in Inbox folder, one of the several things could have happened:

. The message may have been deleted or moved to another folder(for example, the Junk Email folder).
. The recipient might have created a forwarding rule that forwarded the message to a different email address.

Kind Regards,
PD

I just tested it and this time I got an email sent with the password reset link.

Hello EricJH,
Thank you for your response.

Have a nice day,
PD

would you check your PM please?

Hello itsParhaM,

Thank you for reporting.We are checking in it.
Have a nice day!

Hello itsParhaM,

Your account activated successfully,Please check and confirm.
Have a nice day!