Unable to access Internet Explorer (due to Comodo Internet Security Premium)

Saturday, June 12th, 2010

Hello everyone …

You’ll have to pardon me for asking this question as it may already have been asked before here on the forums, but I am new here as of today (Saturday, June 12th, 2010).

Downloaded and installed the newest release of Comodo’s free version of its “Internet Security Premium” following my use of the previous version of Comodo for some time now.

Right from the start, I had issues attempting to install the program. Was finally able to do so after some roundabout instructions as to how to completely remove all traces of the previous version in order to successfully install the new version.

Problem now is that I cannot access Internet Explorer from my laptop. However, I am able to access Firefox with no problem.

Any ideas as to how I can allow Internet Explorer to successfully load without compromising any security settings? Your feedback / instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you time everyone.

Take care,

august242

:wink:

did you specifically block it? CIS should not block IE for any reason and not give you any pop ups asking you anything about it.

Who still uses IE anyway.

COMODO staff made a good job blocking IE, as it’s useless, full of bugs and security flaws as is whole of Microsoft xD

Monday, June 14th, 2010

languy99 and Anathaen …

It appears as though I have fixed the issue that I was encountering with regard to CIS blocking my ability to log into the Internet via my Internet Explorer browser.

I was receiving a TON of Firewall Events that reported that CIS was blocking the following application:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (and listing the protocol values as either “TCP” or “UDP”).

I believe that I remedied this issue via the following course of action:

1. Select / open the “FIREWALL” icon.

2. In the lefthand sidebar section labeled “FIREWALL TASKS”, choose the “ADVANCED” tab.

3. Then open the “NETWORK SECURITY POLICY” option at the top of the page.

4. In the “NETWORK SECURITY POLICY” option panel, choose the “APPLICATION RULES” tab.

5. Beneath the “APPLICATION NAME” tab, check to see if the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe application is being blocked (i.e. showing the small red circle icon with an “X” on it).

6. If so, then change the setting to “Allow IP out from IP any to IP any where protocol is any” and the icon will then display a small green circle with a check mark in it. It will now display “Custom” beneath the “Treat As” column of the “APPLICATION RULES” tab.

7. Now check the “GLOBAL RULES” tab in the “NETWORK SECURITY POLICY” option panel to confirm that your changes are shown as being allowed beneath the “Rules” column.

Mine currently displays:

Green Checkmark Icon - Allow IP out from IP any to IP any where protocol is any

Green Checkmark Icon - Allow ICMP in from IP any to IP any where ICMP message is FRAGMENTATION NEEDED

Green Checkmark Icon - Allow ICMP in from IP any to IP any where ICMP message is TIME EXCEEDED.

Red Circle Icon - Block IP in from IP any to IP any where protocol is any

These small tweaks seemed to have helped. Do you think that they are safe settings or should I change them?

Thanks for your imput.

Take care,

august242 :wink:

Glad to hear you remedied the problem. It never occured to me, that CIS would block IE by itself, so must have been something with your computer, or possible malicious behaviour; nor have I ever encountered here on the forums from users that it would do such a thing and I browse the forums practically daily.

As for your settings, allowing outbound connections should be okay, monitoring inbound connections is important and as long as you don’t experience any difficulties with your settings nor observe any strange behaviour it’s fine.

For advanced security you can check my signature of apps I use and I can guarantee you no worm or virus will pass, it didn’t do on my system, not on XP SP3 previously and not now on Windows 7 Ultimate x32.

Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector): a monitoring tool that monitors all your software installed and portable as well, applying security patches and notifying you of updates.

System Protect: very handy tool, protects critical system files from modification. You can define which files you want to protect and it’s handy because of some uninstallers tend to accidentaly remove critical system files causing your system becoming unstable or even crash.

Best thing about it is, it can preserve system settings from installation date until present, because it prevents file modifications and preserves system files in the state as they were when installed - completely clean.

Anathaen …

Thanks for your feedback regarding the issue that I was encountering with IE being blocked by Comodo. I sincerely appreciate your imput. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Take care,

august242

;D