Ubuntu 10.10 beta

WOW man amazing…super fast performance…you have to try it out to believe it and as always a bit more secure than windows.i think this Linux flavor will evolve to beat windows in its own game …usability. i hope comodo provides an anti virus to linux…i am waiting.( if any one wants to try it you can do it in Virtual box…it runs perfectly ok)

i m also waiting eagerly for ununtu linux antivirus, I tried ubuntu 10.10 its very fast, stable, i love it too.

can you paste the link?

if i want to install it should i divide my hard-disk?

Regards,
Valentin

Ubuntu has this nice installer called WUBI, where you don’t even need to partition your hard drive, it just installs in Windows like a regular program, and then you reboot and are presented with a menu of what system you want to use. Then you can uninstall it via the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature. It creates a file on your disk and runs the whole Ubuntu system from that file. :slight_smile: So, when you partition in the drive in the Ubuntu installer from WUBI, you can just say to use the whole disk, it will only use the file on your disk. That file becomes a virtual disk. :slight_smile: It’s like running Linux in a Virtual Machine virtual filesystem, but on actual hard ware, so it’s faster. :slight_smile: You can even play games on it since it’s natively fast. :smiley: I hope this is understandable. Anyways, WUBI is here:
http://wubi-installer.org/

Ubuntu is here;

Cheers.

It is nevertheless always better to use a dedicated partition rather then a dedicated folder.
If you don’t have any, e.g. Easeus provides a free dynamic partition tool:

It also is the occasion to burn a live ubuntu cd, it might, as any other linux distro, save you from a windows crash due to malware or whatever other reason:

i am running it in virtual box…its easy and very secure than double boot.in double boot method your windows may crash.(of-course virtual box method is resource hungry)

http://www.virtualbox.org/
how to install ubuntu in virtual box

thx for all replies :slight_smile:

Regards,
Valentin

Ubuntu 10.10 is great and only 2 weeks untill final release (can’t wait ;D ). Personally, I prefer Kubuntu.

:slight_smile:

its easy and very secure than double boot.in double boot method your windows may crash.
No one ever said that ubuntu should be double booted from modding boot.ini from the windows side.

If not using wubi, its is better either to choose the boot via the bios startup utility, either to ensure the double boot on the linux side (using a specific bootloader like grub or syslinux, or even without any such utility using bootpart).

I prefer Kubuntu as well. I love KDE more than Gnome. I think GTK is just inferior to Qt, but that is my belief.

Anyways, I used Wubi to install Kubuntu 10.04 and it worked incredibly well. It does modify the boot.ini of Windows, but it does it in a very safe way. That is needed to load up the file that Kubuntu is installed to and make seen as a disk, so then Linux can start booting. I would prefer to have separate partitions, but for me on this laptop, it’s a better solution. It’s a really great way to try out Kubuntu without having to modify partitions and risk losing data. With WUBI, there is very little risk andif you don’t like it … uninstall it. :slight_smile: There’s no messing around with moving partitions back to normal. I would love to go completely Kubuntu on my Laptop … but I still need MS Windows for some things. :frowning:

MS Windows? Aren’t there any emulator for windows programs?

Visual studio 2010 does not like Wine very much and runs too slow in a Virtual Machine, so I use native MS Windows to run it. :wink: Almost everything else is available in some way on Linux.

Same comment for, e.g. Microsoft money (no way to import to a linux applicative if some years of archives and not fully compliant), or professionnal accounting software.

The paradox is therefore that linux would be perfect for newbies, but that almost no newbie runs linux (one of the obvious reason, altough some linux distros are more and more convivial, is that new computers do not run linux).

i quote "Windows Missing hal.dll

This is a frequent error seen on Wubi installations. It leaves Windows unable to boot and complains about a missing “C:\windows\system32\hal.dll” which is the Hardware Abstraction Layer for Windows.
Cannot boot into Ubuntu

Ubuntu cannot be booted if Windows has not been shut down cleanly, you have to clear the Windows filesystem from Windows (there is no chkdsk equivalent for Linux yet). If Wubi fails to start, boot into Windows, run chkdsk /r from Windows on the same drive where you have installed Ubuntu, shutdown cleanly and then try to boot into Ubuntu again.

Note that sometimes files are moved by Windows into a hidden folder called c:\found.000. You need to have c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk and c:\ubuntu\disks\boot. If you do not see those, look for found.000. You need to change the Windows Explorer settings to be able to see hidden folders first, then move the files from found.000 to their original location."

please see the link…WubiGuide - Ubuntu Wiki

i was referring to this problem.

The hal.dll “problem”, indeed a false one, is a classic issue in window/linux multiboot and, even in trying to run windows to an improperly prepared former linux partition.

The most common cause is boot.ini and bootsectors being overwritten by a inappropriate reference, and it’s most easily overcomed by saving windows bootfiles and restoring them to their former state after the linux installation responsible of this modification, then writing oneself the correct bootpath to the linux system.

Anyone doing this kind of trick also should have under hand bootloader repair utilities both on the dos/windows side (mkbt) and on the linux side (cfdisk, gparted…)

But, again, trying to multiboot windows and linux from modding boot.ini is both the easiest and worse way to do it.

Under Windows you can use EasyBCD to manage multi boot systems. It is convenient tool.

Please read their forum sticky topics closely and slowly.

this is maybe a stupid question… I have now a new partitioned harddisk called G: that is 50Gb and i wonder if I can installed ubuntu in G: just like that or do i need something else before?

I have EasyBCD installed and ready.

Regards,
Valentin

It needs to be on a separate partition. First of all because Linux uses a different file system. Second because it is a good practice to have multiple OS’s on multiple partitions or hard drives.

I have installed Ubuntu and I have installed Wine and I wonder if CIS will run smoothly? (can’t be without comodo even if I have ubuntu).

Thanks,
Valentin

The answer is of course no (please look at: WineHQ - Wine Application Database), and the question itself does not make any sense.

Assuming Ubuntu runs not from a virtual machine (proprietary, like Wubi, or any general dedicated software) but in real mode, the chances of installing malware to Ubuntu remain very small, altough one or two dozens have been described for the whole Linux world, most of them for study purposes.

We are not going to discuss again if this is due to a low market share or to intrinsical Linux security:
for what we are concerned now, it’s factual, and it’s enough.

The main malware risk with Ubuntu is therefore to contaminate your Windows partition in a multiboot scheme, assuming no real time protection exists then in Windows because it is inactive (but of course not keeping the Windows security software to react as soon as Windows is loaded again).

Such an issue is not resolved by security software, but by proper lan management, e.g. in such circumstances running Windows under NTFS with appropriate credentials and forbidding shares.

Coming back to the Wine situation, observe in WineHQ that no software whatsoever runs at the kernel level, explaining the very limitative list of what can be operated under Wine: the reason is that Wine is only able to run some exe from the path you specify, sometime adding a dll, but never is able to run whatever needs a system reboot, writes directly to the system, or more largely speaking inteferes with several executables (this last reason making it almost impossible to run Microsoft Money, because it not only requires this executable, but also IE, ActiveX…).

In these conditions, it is absolutely impossible to make a security software made for Windows run while it requires to run at the kernel level.