UA alerts are password protected & you cannot switch this off [M376] [v6]

;D
Just simple.
Password protection needs for 360 degree. (By other people)
But, Only own pc and manual(alert popup) users don’t need password protection.

One PC <–> Many people: Need (If somebody allow the malware… It’ll be very dangerous)
(Of course it can set to auto that “Do Not show popup alert : Allow or Block Requests” ;D)

But, Password protection isn’t useful for own pc and manual users.

PS. Is my english grammar right? ;D English is so difficult to me ;D

Oh I see. Thank you ;D :-TU

I agree and BTW your English is fine.

Yep definitely bug. And I also hope that comodo will add more option under password protection, for ex. if you disable the protection require password(witch is good), but if you re-enable the protection no need to enter a password for this, this isn’t the purpose of password protection, honestly.

The password protection is to protect the system from unauthorised users changing or disabling settings, which then could allow malicious actions to take place.

If the suppress alerts (Auto block) function is unavailable, then alerts would need to be password protected IMO.
Without this what is the point of password protection if unauthorised users can just bypass the alerts and password, allowing any type of activity regardless of the configuration settings?

....this isn't the purpose of password protection, honestly.
Honestly what is the purpose of the password protection?

I apologise if I am wrong, but I still say this is by design even if it is lacking configurable functionality.

Well don’t get me wrong, my point was clear, comodo should add more option under password field. Well imagine you enable the password protection, just to protect the setting, and instead you will have to enter the password for every alert, believe me at some point this will start to annoy you. And if you re-enable protection no need to input password, since this isn’t a security issue, but the contrary. Look at avast free for ex. if you had pass protection enable, if you disable all shield, or one, it will ask to input password, but if you decided to re-enable protection it won’t ask you to re-type password, since is a good thing. Same thing on ‘‘check for update’’. If more option will be added you could chose what and when you should enter the password, so I don’t think my point was wrong. :-\

This bug/issue/design is about security alerts, nothing more nothing less.

I agree the password management in its current form does lack options and functionality.
Could it do with some improvements? IMO yes, which we both agree on.
Is lack of options and functionality a bug? IMO no, this is lack of design and sounds like a wish.

We should also have password requirements (Optional) for updates or any configuration changes.
An example is currently happening with V6, one update caused issues for some users.
An admin (Password holder) might prefer to disable and postpone updates until the issue is rectified.

We are either looking at this slightly differently to each other, or we do not totally agree.
Either way I am happy to agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

Apologies for letting this run of topic away from password requirements for security alerts.

Is you right sound more like a wish. And yes is !ot! I know ;D
Thx for your replys

Thanks RealNature,
Bug or a lack of functionality wish, either way it is an issue. :-TU
Kind regards.

It got confirmed by Comodo staff as a bug today. So I will try to finish up my bug report later on today Mouse1.

I did in no way interpret this issue as a bug, but I am more than happy to admit I was wrong.
I do apologise that my interpretation was in fact incorrect.

Captainsticks you done the right thing and thank you for making me think and check so I don’t waste Comodo staff and my time further if it turned out not to be a bug. You don’t need to apologise for anything in fact thank you for getting involved ;D :-TU

Thank you Seany007.
Your time and effort is greatly appreciated. :-TU

Yes thank you very much Seany, the report is just great now.

Regarding the great debate, I’d say as stated it’s an ‘issue’ and so valid in this forum in any case, rephrased as ‘loss of configuration of password protection from version 5.x’ it’s probably unintended and so crosses the line into being a bug.

But it’s all pretty subtle , and does not matter greatly. It’s a problem that needs fixing, probably through re-instating the configurability (as there are security reasons for some form of protection on elevated privs alerts).

That’s what matters. :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Mouse

To Mouse1…

Why this topic not being moved into: “Format verified Issue Reports - CIS” section? ???

Thank you.

Thank you, that’s a relief. If the next release will be out in about a month, then CIS will protect my pc, I hope once and forever. My only hope is to have releases with less issues as possible. Again !ot! but is a good news for me, because I use password protection so :wink:

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again

Mouse

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Thank you.

PM sent.

I’m having issues with CIS. So can’t do anything. Can anyone else confirm if it was fixed? Thanks.

Checked on XP SP3 & its fixed.