Two Question`s ?

This will be the first time I have installed any version of the Comodo Firewall since I was waiting for the new final release.

I am running WXP SP2.

I am only using the Windows Xp SP2 Firewall and running the AVG 7.1 Virus.

My question is should I disable the WXP SP2 Firewall and disable the AVG 7.1 virus app BEFORE I install the new Comodo Firewall ?

Also should I stay connected to the internet after inserting the e-mailed activation code during the installation procedure of the Comodo Firewall?

Thanks for any replys.

Regards, Silverfox

Hi,

Comodo will automatically disable windows firewall so you don’t need to worry about that. Also, you don’t need to disable AVG either.

You can enter the code after installing the firewall and you have thirty days to enter the code, so you won’t need to stay connected to the internet during installation.

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply !

If I install the Comodo Firewall OFF-LINE and then encounter a Problem connecting to the Internet, what should I check FIRST ?

Regards, Silverfox

I doubt you’d have problems, but if you did you should set CPF to ‘allow all’ then try to connect again. If you can connect it’s a problem with CPF, however if you still cannot connect it may be something else.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your timely replys! I just don`t want to experience any problems, so I am probably asking stupid questions !

I will be installing it on this same pc I am sumbitting these replys & questions, so if I cannot connect to the internet after I install the firewall then I will know their is a conflict somewhere even after I click on the select all tab.

Hopefully everything will be fine. I just got absolutely disgusted with the McAfee Virus & McAfee Firewall hogging up the resources and causing slow boot issues that it had gotton as bad as Norton. Thats the reason I switched to AVG 7.1, and now hopefully the Comodo Firewall that I have heard so many good things about will be all I will run in the future.

Thanks again!

Regards, Silverfox

Ok, silverfox you’re more than welcome. One thing, the only stupid question is one not asked.
Happy computing and don’t forget to let us know how you get on.
:slight_smile:
Mike

Well, it looks like I won`t be able to install the Comodo Firewall until I get this issue below resolved from McAfee:

This is the letter I sent to McAfee and as usual haven`t heard nothing back as of yet !

[Quote]:

I have absolutely done everything listed in your Sticky thread in regards to uninstalling both the McAfee Virus & Personal Firewall down to the T.

Ran all the cleaners for both the virus & firewall, re-booted each time, cleaned everything out of the registry pertaining to McAfee, and everything else you mentioned. Did all this with system restore disabled and with show all hidden files & folders enabled.

I am running WXP Home with SP2.

After all the cleaners, rebooting, & everything else suggested when I disable the SP2 Firewall in Control Panel and then click on the Security panel in the Control Panel it STILL shows the McAfee Personal Firewall RUNNING !

I am at a loss except for doing a complete re-format and I sure don`t want to do that!

I have also done all these procedures in Safe Mode to no avail.

Thoroughly Disgusted with McAfee as the only support suggestions I get are the same ones listed in the sticky thread that do not solve the problem of completely getting rid of ALL the McAfee components since the SP2 Security control is still seeing the McAfee Firewall running and it is not!

[End of Quote]

Since the Comodo Firewall begins its installation stating that if you have a third party firewall installed, please remove it first, I am hesitant to continue with the installation because the Windows security panel still sees the darn McAfee firewall in the system somewhere!

Regards, Silverfox

Not sure if it is the same as your problem or not. But I had uninstalled a different firewall and had the same problem that Security Center showed that it was still running. Found out that it was not really running but that Security Center thought it was. I installed Comodo and when I rebooted, Security Center only showed that Comodo was running and everything has been running fine.

I hope one of the Comodo people will know a better answer for you.

You can try resetting the windows security center. This will force windows to rebuild the folder with the new data instead of old data which it may currently be using.

Go to: Control panel>>Administrative tools>>services>stop WMI and security centre services>>delete the repository folder>>restart WMI services>>reboot computer.

If doesn’t work McAfee may not be uninstalled properly.

MIke

Mike, when I do what you suggested here:

Go to: Control panel>>Administrative tools>>services>stop WMI and security centre services>>delete the repository folder>>restart WMI services>>reboot computer.

The WMI is listed as WMI performance and it is not running. It is just Blank.

The Security Center service is started and I see nothing related to a repository folder. All I can do is either stop the Security Center service or restart it.

Sorry but thru administrative tools\services\ all I can do is either start certain services or stop them, as far as I can see. Unless I am overlooking something!

Regards, Silverfox

You should see ‘Windows Management Instrumentation’. It’s this what needs to be stopped not WMI performance. Sorry, I wasn’t clear on this.

Also, the repository folder is located in the following location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\repository

Mike

Mike,Sorry for another question but I have two Repository Folders.

Quote:

[Also, the repository folder is located in the following location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\repository]

One is titled Repository and the other is titled Repository.001

Both of them have the same file in them called: $WinMgmt.CFG CFG File 1 KB

There is also another folder in both of the Repository folders titled: FS

The FS folders contain various index & mapping files in them.

So exactly what do I delete, just the $WinMgmt.CFG 1KB file in each repository folder and leave the FS folder contents alone?

Regards, Silverfox

It should be the folder named Repository which you need to delete. Windows will rebuuild this file after reboot with new information. I’m not sure what the other folder is.

Don’t worry about asking more questions.

Mike