Two problems

The first problem is fairly simple and if someone can just point me to information - I’ll take care of it myself. :slight_smile:

First problem: I have tried installing comodo onto my Winbook tablet a few times and it is creating temporary files that have filled up the little 10GB hard drives. Where are these files so I can remove them? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Second problem (Also the main problem). I bought a Winbook from MicroCenter here in Houston. I made the mistake of buying one with only a 10GB hard drive in it. The tablet is wonderful but it got down to 90MB of space on the main hard drive. So I bought a 32GB SD Card and put that into the tablet. Now I have two SSD drives. The main 10GB one and the D: drive which has 32GB on it. I began moving everything over to the new 32GB SD card and managed to recover 1.9GB of space on the C: drive. When I went to install Comodo back again onto the tablet I did the same thing I did with FireFox, Avira, SuperAntiSpyware, and so on. I clicked on the Browse button, went to the D: drive, created the folder on the D: drive so the directory was there for the software, this changed the destination folder listed in the dialog box. But unlike all of the other programs - Comodo starts to install and then says “There isn’t enough space on the hard drive” and dies. Since there is still 26GB on the D: drive - I don’t think it is out of space. The C: drive currently shows there to be 500MB on it. (There was a massive update from Microsoft that was installed overnight. 457MB of updates. So the C: drive went from 1.8GB free to 500MB free. I’m supposing the WinSxS hasn’t cleaned itself up yet. At least I hope that is what is the matter. Hate to think that Microsoft would release such a monstrous package that it would gobble up 1.3GB of space. If that is the case then pretty soon Windows may start to need terrabytes of space just to be installed!)

Anyway - Comodo seems to have a bug where it says it will install on a different disk drive but then it really tries to install on the C: drive. At least that is what it seems to be doing.

Ideas? Help? :slight_smile:

Mark

PS: One quick thing I noticed - black letters on a dark background? Didn’t anyone take color class 101? Dark backgrounds - light letters. Light background - dark letters. You can’t even read the word “Post” or “Save” on my monitor. I just guessed it was the right button to push. :slight_smile:

After installing a bunch of things it could be that your temporary folder is full of ■■■■. By installing software the installers will copy temporarily needed things for the install process into a temporary folder. You can find this folder in the Windows folder on the drive where you installed Windows. Normally this folder can be found in C:\Windows\Temp. If you installed on another drive, just change the “C” into your drive’s letter. Just delete all the content in this Temp folder, but not the folder itself (note: some things can’t be deleted, because they are in use at the moment). Maybe this could help. But Windows also needs a lot of disk space, because all system relevant things like drivers etc. will be istalled into the windows folder. I’ve installed Win 7 Ultimate and it uses up to 15 GB of disk space, after i installed all important things like drivers, internet security, Windows updates, etc…

@Michael : Well, it is always nice to WANT more disk space. But tablet’s only come with a certain sized drive in them and since they are soldered directly to the motherboard. It’s kind of hard to change them out. So I’m stuck with the 10GB drive whether I like it or not.

After three hours - the system had cleaned up the WinSxS directory and I had about 1.75GB of space available. I installed Comodo BUT now Defense+ doesn’t want to work. Trying uninstalling again to see if I can get it to work.

For today’s standards 10 GB are nothing. Even for laptops. Note, that the Windows OS was improved and extended more and more over the years with more and more new features. The more features the OS has, the more disk space it needs. Also drivers (grahic card, sound card, other stuff that ´need drivers) and OS updates sometimes need a lot of disk space.

BTW: have you taken a look into your windows recycle bin? maybe it’s full with deleted ■■■■. Try to empty the recycle bin and delete all the content. Because a full recycle bin can also eat a bunch of GB.
I can recomend you a small freeware tool for cleaning up your system. It’s called CCleaner. Just google for it. With this tool you can free your system from all the not needed waste which accumulates from time to time. You can do this with a few clicks in the CCleaner’s “Cleaner” section. You can leave the default settings. just click first on “analyze”, and after the analyzing process on “Start CCleaner”.

@Michael: That may be - but you’d have to go tell Microcenter that (which I already have) and let them tell you they don’t care. The people at Microcenter say all the right things like “That is very interesting” or “You are probably right” - but they haven’t changed anything. It is my honest opinion that all tablets and smart phones should use one of those photo graphic high speed SD cards as the main RAM and another one for the main internal hard drive. I also think those cellophane containers they are using for batteries should be replaced by cartridge style batteries that can be removed and replaced. In this way they could sell tablets with 4GB of main RAM, 10GB of main hard drive, and a decent cartridge battery. It would then be up to the customer to replace the memory with more memory and the main hard drive and battery as well. Further, these tablets are 64bit systems but only 32bit systems are being installed onto them. Last, but not least, it would be really nice if the drivers for these devices were made available. I know that >I< would have upgraded everything, probably have a 128GB internal SD card for the main hard drive.

To be absolutely truthful - there is no reason in the world why ANY of the companies that produce tablets or smart phones (whatever name you want to call them by like iPhones or Galaxy or even sewertripe phones) should be forced to us removable/replaceable memory for RAM, hard drives, or whatever. The ONLY reason they big corporations have given for not doing so is to force the consumer to have to throw away and buy a new system when it fails. That is collusion because they all do it and should be illegal by any standard.

I have my trash to auto delete and not store anything. So when I delete - it really is gone. I just found out that my pagefile.sys is huge. Something like 4GB. This is double what it should be. The system only has 2GB of memory so the pagefile should only be 2GB as well.

By the way - I have CCleaner, Defraggler, and Recuva all three. I also own Puran’s Defrag program and Perfect Disk. Of the three Perfect Disk is the best, Puran 2nd best, and Defraggler the worst. At least the free version of Defraggler is not all that good. This isn’t to say it can’t or work make things better. But Puran combines all of the basic things you want in a defragmentor into a single pass. Perfect Disk is the best though because it really will compress down empty space and it triggers winSxS to release items it already had marked to delete and remove.

You wrote that your additional drives have more than enough space. Comodo will be installed on the system drive, where Windows is installed ( i think this is needed for better comunicating between Comodo and the OS system). And i don’t remember that there’s an option to change the install directory of Comodo. So i think it’s really needed that it will be installed on the system drive. On my system Comodo takes about 380 MB with all updates and actual signatures installed.

!Michael: Bring up the installer, get to first set of questions, click advanced, go to tab on far right. It asks where the destination folder for Comodo is located. It allows you to select any disk drive and any folder. (Mark the bug finder… :slight_smile: )