Tutorial on how to make CFP3 work nicely with Vista and UAC.

GSi-R: If you followed my guide, then you would not need to do all those steps in your last post. CFP is running with admin properties. Check to make sure that you checked “Run with Highest Privileges” in the Task Scheduler setup for CFP. Automatic updates and manual ones work for me.

Hey there Star Shadow. Thanks much for the tutorial. I would rather follow something like this than wait forever for development to fix the problem. Going to reboot and try it out now.

I think my solution is a bit simpler. I have UAC turned ON, but under Local Security Policy I have it set to automatically elevate without prompting for Admin level accounts, and to disable the secure desktop. You get most of the UAC advantages (protected mode in IE7, and file virtualization), without the UAC nags which we click through anyway, right? Yes, security is a bit lower, but if you run with D+, you’re no less protected. Task Scheduler is unnecessary and there are no messages about startups being blocked after boot.

That’s all well and good, but Vista Home Premium doesn’t have a Local Security Policy editor. Everything things needs to be set by the registry, which sucks. Not all of us can afford Ultimate or wish to run the bloat that is Ultimate. :wink: I use to set the registry to use automatic elevation, but some games don’t work that well with it. For some reason, the save wrong so the saved games can’t be reloaded. I found for game compatibility that it’s either best to turn off UAC completely, or leave it on in full.

Does version 3.0.23.364 solve the problem? (:NRD)

How about some help on this question Comodo

I haven’t started the new version without using the task scheduler, so I can’t answer this question. I kinda have my doubts if it would work or not. CFP needs to start with admin rights and I don’t know if the new version does that. I just don’t want to try it the normal way because if it doesn’t work right, then it would be a mess to clean up.

CPF Version 3.0.25.378 they are part way the scan works asks for Admin password and now also checks for update each time you run it.
Manage My Configurations still does not work in Limited account does not ask for Admin password it just says you need to run this utility with admin rights instead of saving a 0kb file so there is some improvement.
This was a update not a clean install will try when I have more time.
Dennis

The possible problem with the solution posted (scheduling the firewall through the task manager) is that the firewall starts late at the boot, while the automatic start should be earlier and start protecting the computer before the Internet connection is initialized.
From what I see, this might actually not be the case currently, but by starting the firewall through the manager we circumvent any possible correction of that by the Comodo team in future updates.
A simpler solution that worked for me was to give the updater cfupdate.exe administrative priviledges.
This allows starting Comodo as usual - the only change iis that it requires granting permission before checking for updates.

TS = Task Scheduler

I never noticed it starting any later when started by the TS rather than checking the box in settings to start when the computer starts. In fact, the icon in the systray seems to come up earlier when started by the systray rather than “proper” way of starting it.

However, there is one draw back to the TS, if you open the TS and you find the Firewall entry and click on stop, it comes up with an error. Which is good so that CFP doesn’t close. Also, if you right-click on the systray icon and say exit, the TS is updated with “ready” so you can start it again. Another advantage to the TS, is that when you start it there, you don’t need to click the okay UAC prompt. In a way, it’s easier to start it up with Admin rights.

Thank you Dennis2 for that update. I am glad Comodo has made some progress towards full Vista Compatibility. :slight_smile: As they say, take it in baby steps. Updating to full Vista support at once would leave room for lots of errors and would be too difficult.

I recently installed Comodo CFP firewall on my Vista-based Desktop. There were several attempts nesscesary. Install without Windows firewall and Avira active, looked like something. No warning during installation when these programs were active. No documentation from Comodo on this issue, no warnings, no shield icon after. At a certain point nothing of Comodo happens to be installed actually, although Vista responded “full green protection”. A virus attack hit me, but Avira killed it. After de-installation of Comodo, Vista responded, believe it or not, full protection by the firewall Comodo.
To activate CFP-icon on Desktop without being Administrator, results into looping.
To activate CFP-icon on Desktop being Administrator results into 2 CFP.exe active in Task Planner.
After ending the second Administrative occurence, both CFP.exe stay active and the Comodo shield remains on the Task Bar.

The tutorial on this Forum how to solve this itrouble, is perfect!! Wonder why Comodo install procedure doesn’t do this stream of actions. I know nothing of Windows, and like to keep it that way. It is no evidence four billion of people take a course when one plummer doesn’t know what he is doing.