Turning off update alerts? [Merged Threads]

Thanks John I’ll try it. When I was using just the firewall I unchecked the do not show box but it would not allow it to stay unchecked. I hope this fixes it.

Please see here.

@.FaZio93.,

Thanks for replying to my thread about the Av balloons. I did not look here in the Av section - under help, as I looked under the general CIS section since I was running the full CIS and not the AV standalone.

Anyway, I hope they do fix the option to turn them off. - plenty annoying. I don’t want to turn off ALL alerts, as the other suggestions as I do want to know about a virus possibility, but these popups are a PITA! :smiley: Thanks.

In the scanner settings I have Keep an Alert on the Screen set to 10 seconds.

This seems to make the alerts much less intrusive.

Hello

I have installed Comodo on my computer. But the antivirus always shows a tooltip saying it is updating the database, then another tooltip saying it has completed updated the virus database.
The problem is that this behaviour occurs several times a day. Each time, any video style window (movie or game) slows down for the time during the update (even crash, but that’s another problem! :slight_smile: ).

I agree it is important to be aware of updates, but so often, it becomes much more annoying than anything else on a computer !

Is there a way to stop all these tooltips, should I modify a config file or the registry ?

Thank you for a response, because it occurs many MANY times everyday !!

Welcome to the Forum, BabylonZeus.

At the moment there is no way to disable these balloons and still have the AV alerts display. The Devs are working to separate the two and make this feature available.

Ok, thank you very much for your reply !

I have this problem as well; it becomes quite irritating as it happens constantly throughout the day, and in the morning I have to shut down quite a few of these balloons that have gathered up over the night. I appreciate the frequent updates; but don’t need to be notified of each and every one! It’s becoming so irritating that I am about to give up on Comodo and try something else instead. I consider this type of forced “pop-up” happening multiples times daily just as irritating as any malware/spyware.

As with the gentleman above, I also am puzzled that there is an “option” to turn this balloon alert off, which I have selected; but it doesn’t function. Since in the past when I’ve used Comodo I was able to turn off update alerts, I’m puzzled at why this functionality was removed. Hopefully Comodo will reconsider making this option possible again.

Dear Comodo, Please add my dismay / being annoyed / want the ■■■■ thing turned off also.

I left my computer running for a few days and when I came back to it, I had to click fifty-six times! (yes, I counted them) to get the balloon messages to go away.

Can someone in authority from Comodo please tell us why this is necessary? ???

Its Fixed in the upcomming CIS 3.10 (to come out soon)

I am slightly puzzled here. The normal ‘balloon’ alerts should only exist for a matter of seconds before disappearing.

Could one of you post a screen shot of the messages you are seeing, please.

Thank you for the quick reply and even a bigger THANK YOU Comodo! :-TU

Next time it happens I’ll do that for you.

These don’t. For some odd reason, they stack up if you are away from your machine and your monitor has turned off. I’ll quite often come back to my machine, move the mouse to wake up the monitor (machine wasn’t in sleep mode, just the monitor) and Comodo decides it needs to inform me of all it has done while the monitor was turned off. Which depending on how long I was away, it can be three to four sets of “I’m going to update…”, “I’ve updated…” balloons. 88)

[attachment deleted by admin]

How strange, I’ve never seen this on my systems, either Windows XP or 7. For ne the alerts simply appear for several seconds and then close…

Not sure if this will help, but there are numerous ways to disable notifications form the System tray, one of which is to edit the registry.

To disable balloon tips in the notification area, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate the following subkey:
 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3. Right-click the right side pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips.
4. Double-click EnableBalloonTips, and then give it a value of 0.
5. Close Registry Editor.
6. Log off Windows, and then log back on.

There are also a whole host of utilities for doing this too.

Messages about updated database can’t be turned of through settings.

1. CPU Athlon 64 X2 4600+
  2. Windows XP pro, service pack 3, 32 bit
  3. CIS 3.9.95478.509
  4. Antivirus - default settings
  5. Firewall - custom policy mode
  6. Defense+ - clean PC mode
  7. Administrator account

Please read here
Dennis

Thanks

What I have done is to uncheck automatic updates under settings. Now I do a manual update once a day. I was on the verge of attacking my computer because of those bloody alerts! Is it really necessary for the program to update constantly all day long?

Cheers

Yeah this is really annoying when gaming. This moring when I came in the office there were like 15 of them or something. Click click click through a big pile of popups… just as annoying as the spy wear.