Trouble with CIS on Lenovo Edge 15?

Hi all,

on Monday I got a new laptop, a Lenovo Edge 15 and CIS was on of the first applications I installed on it. For some reason it slowed the laptop down to a crawl. Mainly, the starting of applications became ridiculously slow, like for instance right clicking on the desktop and choosing gadgets took like a minute to actually fire up the application.

I didn’t do much anything for the default settings except disabled sandbox. The laptop has Windows 7 Professional x64.

Anyone know what could have caused this? I’m currently using Windows firewall, but I’d like to get back to CIS if I could get it to work normally.

Thanks

Lenovo Edge 15 (nice laptop BTW ;)) is supplied preloaded with Norton Internet Security. Did you disable or uninstall it before installing CIS?

Thanks,

Yeah, It prompted me in the first startup if I wanted to install Norton and I said no. In the past I have found such products rather heavy weight and I was aiming to install CIS anyway.

Before I found what was bringing the performance down, I went trough all running services and processes and - perhaps a little surprisingly - there wasn’t all that much pre-installed “bloatware” going on.

Also, the processor and memory seemed almost idle, yet starting applications took really, really long. I did also check power mangement to see that I wasn’t on some power-save mode.

I even contacted the reseller about these speed issues, before I started uninstalling everything I had put in. For some reason things got a lot faster, when I uninstalled CIS. It’s as if it was checking every command with great accuracy before letting them run. And yet, Defense+ and firewall were at very low settings and sandbox disabled, as mentioned.

I sure hope I could solve this issue with CIS, I have a small home network and previously things have worked wonderfully with CIS on every computer.

STEP 1
As a test, can you please uninstall CIS and then reinstall it, but only install the firewall component (FW onyl install).

STEP 2
If this does not induce the slowdown, uninstall CIS and reinstall, but just the AV with D+ (Full AV install).

STEP 3
If this doen not induce the slowdown, uninstall CIs and reinstall with all components but before rebooting, open CIS and disable D+ permanently (FW and AV only install).

I realize this is a long winded way around things, but a logical, methodical approach is important in tracking down odd issues like this.

Let me know how this works out.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Thanks,

I will try that out, it’s better to figure it out properly, than keep using Windows firewall. But that will have to wait until Monday - I’ll post here the results.

NP - out of curiousity, does your laptop have a fingerprint scanner?? I do know that the biometrics on HP laptops can cause D+ to throw a hissy fit until it’s configured properly.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Nope, this one doesn’t - I guess it was available as an option, but I wouldn’t really have use for it (I’m not that much on the road).

Overall, I don’t think there’s any special hardware on this computer. It does have the usual wi-fi radios (which I also don’t really need and they are turned off), but other than that, it’s quite basic. It was the only laptop within in my budget with i5 processor and a 64-bit Windows :slight_smile:

Vasco

Possibly the best value laptop going around, considering the CPU, RAM and HDD. Very nice screen on it too. Good choice!! :-TU