Trouble installing Comodo Free version 4

I was a faithful Comodo free user (firewall only). I recently tried to install the newest version (4). I had to uninstall version 3 (which was working fine and I should have left it alone). When I tried to install 4, I never could get past the 1603 error. I reset the security permissions on the system id, cleared out temp files, etc. I am a pretty advanced user, but gave up. Went to the next best free firewall (Online Armor) and its working fine. Regret having to leave Comodo, but that is the breaks.

I too have same problem. cannot get passed: Error 1603 code.
un installed CIS v 3. rebooted and ran the CIS v4 installer. selected the default location. and Error 1603. >:(

Searched the forum for a fix, without luck. :frowning:

XP Win.

I am having the same problem installing firewall 4.0.

I uninstalled v3, rebooted, went through install wizard clicked install button and installer failed with CFP_Setup.msi Error 1603. I tried cleaning the registry, then doing the reinstall and it failed with same error.

It might be related to installing firewall without antivirus. The machine that I tried to install firewall only had this 1603 error. I was using the Firewall only installer.

On another machine where I installed Internet Security (both firewall and antivirus), it installed with no problems.

On my initial machine that failed with the firewall only installer, I tried using the Internet Security installer and install only firewall without antivirus and it failed with the 1603 error.

So regardless if the firewall only installer or the Internet Security installer installing only firewall, both will fail with the 1603 error.

For me at least, I was able to fix this issue by updating my Windows Installer from version 3.1.xxx to 4.5.xxx. See my post:

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/possible-solution-to-comodo-4-installer-errors-t52935.0.html

Hope this helps you all!

I have made the update to the 4.5 installer, but I’m still getting errors.

I’m on XP 64-bit, and I can neither go back to the last version because the download has already been removed. I have been able to find the 32 bit version for download… but not the 64bit one.

My windows installer was on v4.5 when I started having this problem.

Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and see if there is an entry for CIS v4. Is that the case remove it and try installing again.

I’m at the latest version of the Windows Installer. The cleanup utility did not have an entry for CIS, though it did have one for LiveSupport, but removing that did not help. I’m running 64bit Vista Service Pack 2 Business Edition.

I manually ran the msiexec utility with verbose logging on to see if there was any additional information. Right before it returns the 1603 error code, it executes 2 SQL statements to get the error messages from some sort of database.

MSI (c) (D4:40) [21:05:29:071]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1708

and then

MSI (c) (D4:40) [21:05:29:071]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

I’m not sure if those internal error codes are more useful or not, but I thought I’d throw them out there.

Also, running the log parsing utility from the win SDK gives me the following snippet as the first error…

MSI (s) (F4:8C) [21:36:58:978]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB5C5.tmp, Entrypoint: PrepareInstallation
MSI (s) (F4:80) [21:36:58:978]: Generating random cookie.
MSI (s) (F4:80) [21:36:58:993]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 2164 (0x874).
MSI (s) (F4:AC) [21:36:59:040]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (F4:AC) [21:36:59:040]: Hello, I'm your 64bit Elevated custom action server.
Action ended 21:36:59: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Does the following bring any solace to your situation: https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/installer-error-t52813.0.html;msg375799#msg375799 .

Have you tried using the comodo clean up tool? I was getting error 1603 too and solved the problem by using the clean-up tool.
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-t36499.0.html;msg259617#msg259617

That person is missing the regsvr32.exe (or it’s not in his path) which is a pretty important file and I’m amazed he’s able to install about anything. That is not the problem I’m having nor is something like that going to be widespread, because no component that uses that service (which almost every install of every program does) will fail.

Running this cleanup tool solved the problem for me. I’m not sure which element that was cleaned is the cause unfortunately, so I can’t really offer any help other than I was able to install CIS after running that cleanup tool.

Thanks all for your help.

Which is tool should be used? There is one by Ragwing and later there is another by Alan.

The later one by Alan is still under testing. Use that one at your own risk. The other one from Ragwing is known to work.

Used the Ragwing clean up tool after getting the 1603 error, Comodo installed fine after that. :-TU

I am a vote for the ragwing’s solution. I just completely, successfully installed version 4 after version 3 was on the Vista system. I had checked other thread suggestions, but this one was the true fix. Sharing my experience, thanks!!! All systems go!

I used the Ragwing clean up tool after getting the 1603 error on my girlfriend computer (Windows XP SP3, updated, .NET 3.5) and still get error 1603 :frowning: any ideas what can i do to solve problem?

Does this work for you?

To those who still have problems after running Ragwin’s original version clean up tool,
I strongly recommend trying my version at
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-t36499.0.html;new#new

I have just posted there information on the benefits that I have implemented.

Regards
Alan