Treatment of exe as "installer/updater"

I occasionally see advice to treat a game or other exe as “installer/updater.” Am I correct that this treatment gives the executable privileges to work without warnings?

Two questions:

What restrictions on behavior are there, if any, on an installer/updater?

What if any protection then exists to assure that the games are free of malware or free of code that allows spread of malware? And if a game involves interaction with others on the web, what is the extent of the risks that “promiscuous” game interactions might result in virus or other malware being spread?

Given that chat and email are vectors for malware, I am curious if game communication also is a vulnerability.

Only a few D+ protections, as I understand it. AV would still be in operation and the firewall.

What if any protection then exists to assure that the games are free of malware or free of code that allows spread of malware? And if a game involves interaction with others on the web, what is the extent of the risks that "promiscuous" game interactions might result in virus or other malware being spread?
If you define some thing as an installer updater you, the user are saying it is highly trusted. Defining something as an installer updater is always to be done with caution. Never define a file that will be used to run unknown programs (eg explorer.exe!) as an installer updater.
Given that chat and email are vectors for malware, I am curious if game communication also is a vulnerability.
An interesting question, does anyone know?

A lot of people have complained of malware related to on game playing.

Not sure however that it happened during the game download (either from games downloaded “on the dark side” or intrinsically loading spywares, toolbars…) or during the play itself.

This last eventuality must of course be considered, as on line gaming involves opening large ranges of ports and accepting communications from someone you know nothing about, while i suppose that most of these connexions are not https secured and software “home vpn” like hamachi is also a laugh for allowing the very same people you know nothing about.

Even if the running firewall is supposed to intercept dubious communications, i don’t see anyone setting it in a agressive manner of which the result would be to cut the rythm of the game.