Track Bandwidth Usage For Each Program Over Time [M1270]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
There is no feature that can track the bandwidth use made by each application over time.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
Track the connections made by each program and count how much bandwidth was used by them. This data would then be kept, just the bandwidth, so that users can see how much was used per day, week, month, etc…

3. Why you think it is desirable:
Seeing how much bandwidth was used by a program can help give more insight into the program and can of course also reveal unwanted use of bandwidth. This would thus help to track the total bandwidth use on bandwidth limited plans, and thus help users to figure out applications they may want to remove due to high bandwidth use.

4. Any other information:
The idea could use the connection log as a base and calculate the bandwidth use from it.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have edited the first post and the title. Please let me know if you see any problems.

Also, I would like to clarify something. Would it be enough to see how much bandwidth they are using at the current time, or are you asking for it to be kept track of so that you could, for example, see how much bandwidth total was used by the app over the last month?

Thanks.

I am asking for keeping track of the historical connections, so i can see how many data was used last month by a certain program or in some other custom time interval.
To calculate it the connection log could be used while just programming an interface that calculates the usage of historical connections.

Thank you for clarifying this. I have made some small changes to the first post and the title. I have also added a poll. Please let me know if everything looks correct.

Thankyou looks good.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

I think this would be useful. Especially if they show the history of traffic to IP addresses.
That is, I would suggest that in addition to the total bandwidth of the application make visible and bandwidth applications to a specific IP address.

i suggested that but chiron said there are privacy concerns.

Please continue the discussion about keeping a history in this topic. It may be that I am wrong about the potential for privacy concerns, but I am open to discussions.

Thanks.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.

I hope you don’t mind, but in the tracker this Wish has been altered to be about bandwidth abuse detection or control. Although it is a very similar wish we believe that this incarnation of it is more likely be to accepted.

Thanks.

Please link the tracker entry

The tracker itself is not viewable by forum members. It is only viewable by Comodo staff, Mods, and Star Group members. However, if there is additional information you would like to know I can pass that on to you. Is there anything in particular you would like to know?

Thank you.

Post how it was altered, my wish has two motivations:

1. detect programs that unwanted use bandwith and show it to the user
  2. help the user to see the bandwith usage as example in the case of limited internet bandwith plans or in other cases where bandwith has to be limited or is expensive.

The wish is now essentially a little generic. However, a few thoughts are to add bandwidth constraints for sandboxed files, in HIPS rules, and display the values in Active Connections for the user to see for their own abilities. However, if this ability is added it’s always possible it could be improved from there.

It should atleast show how much bandwith my computer did use this month since i am limited to 10gb so i can calculate how much bandwith is left and the biggest criminals programs so i can find leaks or atleast know if my internet radio is very bandwith demanding :wink:

The reason this would likely not be added, at least not at first, is because there are many other free software that can already do this sort of thing. Thus, to add this sort of enhancement to CIS would have to be focused on security as the primary concern. The main concern is that CIS should not become too bloated.

I hope you understand.

Thanks.

it would be just a short summary in the connections panel.
And since the connections are tracked anyways i doubt it would add more than some byte to the installer and maybe 20 lines of code its hard to call this bloated.

Its allways annoying to have to install seperate software for simple functions.

I am quite irritated about this type of argument.

I would add if user wish to have this then it should be implemented. Atleast if you assume that comodo listens to the user or is the argument this was not what i got the 15 votes so i have to wish it again with different wording?

The way it works is that if a Wish gets at least 15 points it is added to the tracker for consideration. This does not mean that it will be added for sure. In this case it became a question of whether the Wish would be rejected outright, or whether it could be re-imagined in such a way that it could possibly be added, and grow from there. I’m sorry, but this is just how the process works.

+1 Sound a good idea especially for people who use has a limited internet(1gb)