Tooltips Do Not Display

There is some kind of problem with the browser. I did a clean install of IceDragon (Windows 7 computer) and visited a comic web site where they use alt/title text to add extra jokes. Normally, I hover the mouse over the image and the text displays in a tooltip. It didn’t work in this case. No tooltip. Then I experimented with the rest of the browser and discovered that tooltips don’t work anywhere. They flash for a moment, then disappear. Even if I click the menu button in the upper left, the menu flashes for a moment then disappears until I move the mouse over it.

I’m not sure what’s wrong here. I tried to use the Pale Moon browser before to replace Firefox, but had the same problem. I thought it was the browser, but now I’m having the identical problem with this IceDragon. I still have Firefox and it works just fine, no problem with tooltips.

The only extension I have installed is NoScript, which should not interfere (I also have this on Firefox with no problems). Disabling NoScript does not make a difference. What is going on here, and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, it seems that while the clickable area of tabs is about the same size as in Firefox, IceDragon adds an extra 5 pixels or so at the top for no apparent reason, which are not even clickable. My screen is quite small and these extra pixels are taking up space without adding anything whatsoever. Is there any way to get rid of them?

Really, I love the interface of Firefox. It’s perfect, it’s everything I want. But the browser crashes a lot and it has security issues. Is there any way to use the “guts” of IceDragon and just keep the Firefox interface? Or is there some other browser which does this, addresses security and programming problems without messing with the interface? I’ve tried Safari but it doesn’t work properly with Silverlight, Chrome has even bigger privacy issues (and I want Google’s hands off my browser as much as possible)… Although Chrome also has an excellent interface. Why is it that the browsers with good interfaces also have security issues? I wish I was a programmer so I could just make my own browser… Sadly I don’t have that option, so instead I beg you other users to help me find what I’m looking for.

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome aira,
In regards to tooltips try disabling ‘Use Hardware Acceleration When Available’, found under browsing in the advanced options.

In regards to the visual aspect and pixel issue, I am not sure if a different theme would help.

You mentioned liking the interface of Chrome.
Have you considered Comodo Dragon, although it is Chromium based.

Sorry I am not of more help.

Edit: For using IceDragon/Firefox on a small screen you may find the following theme helpful.
Please note: This installs a theme as well as a custom options extension.
Classic Compact -Mozilla Add-Ons

Thanks for your answer. Disabling hardware acceleration worked for the tooltips, to my relief. I will have a look at Comodo Dragon - really, I like the interface of Firefox as well. The only real difference which is driving me crazy is those extra pixels at the top of the window that do absolutely nothing other than taking up space (and making it harder to click on tabs, since I can’t just put my mouse at the top of the screen to click).

I’ve installed the classic compact theme and it helps a lot with the space issue. The menus are no longer so big and the space taken up on my screen is much smaller. However, there are still “dead” unclickable pixels at the top of the tabs. This seems to be hard-coded into the program, not changeable by themes that I can see. I don’t understand it. What is the point of doing that? Why did the developers add useless pixels? It adds nothing but makes the browser less usable.

At least the size is good now. I guess I’ll give it a week or so and see if I get used to the unclickable pixels. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just have to uninstall IceDragon and go back to Firefox.

I’m trying to picture the meeting where they were designing the browser…
“Okay, so we’ll fix up lots of problems that Firefox has. Get rid of that Google stuff. Increase security. Block malware.”
“That sounds awesome. And we’ll design a new logo with an ice dragon.”
“Excellent. Oh, and one more thing. Let’s add a few useless pixels to the top of the screen. It’ll make the menu bigger for no reason, and make it more difficult to click the tabs.”
“Yes! That’s a great idea! I’m so glad we’re so good at programming AND design.”
“Me too, man. Me too.”
lingering high-five that turns into a hug

Hi aira,
I am glad to hear one issue is solved. :-TU

I don’t appear to have the dead pixel issue, is this with the browser maximized and the menu bar set to hide? :-\

Yup. If I have several tabs open, there is a 1-2 pixel line above the tabs which can’t be clicked. (Before I installed this compact theme, it was more like 5-10 pixels.) As in, the tab doesn’t stretch quite all the way to the top of the screen. This means that if I put the mouse all the way on the top of the screen, and click, it won’t click the tab. I’m so used to clicking tabs without paying much attention, just by moving the mouse all the way to the top of the screen and clicking, that it’s a real annoyance to have to select the tab more carefully. It’s not a massive issue or anything, but it’s annoying, and I can’t see any reason for it. Why not have the tab reach all the way up to the top of the screen? The space above it isn’t doing anything. In Firefox or Chrome, the tabs stretch all the way to the top of the screen. IceDragon has changed that, but for no apparent reason. It doesn’t serve any function.

I can imagine the annoyance this would cause, it is natural just to move all the way to the top without actually taking a lot of notice.

I am sorry do not know what to suggest as I cannot replicate the issue, I can ■■■■ hard at the top and click any tab.
I guess different screens and settings may play a role for why it is not happening on all systems.

The best I can offer is, I will mention this topic to the Developers and see what happens from there.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Kind regards from Captainsticks.

Edit: No promises, but I have PMed Staff so they are aware of this issue.
Thanks.

Thanks very much for your help. : )

You are welcome. :slight_smile: