the defense + is not working properly

I’m running CIS with Win XP SP2. Today I got a message that the firewall was not working properly. I ran diagnostics as suggested and the software reported that the problem could not be fixed. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, and I manually removed all of the files that I could find that were not removed with the software. Now it says that The Defense + is not functioning properly. When I run diagnostics it says that it cannot find any problems with the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

What other security or network related programs are running in the background? Try disabling them.

What firewall did you use before? Are you sure it is completely and properly uninstalled?

Following is a tutorial to manually look up and remove other security programs drivers. See if that helps.

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are no auto starts from your previous security programs. Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

Dear Eric, I ran the Autoruns Program below and

One entry says:

C:\Windows\system32\guard64.dll COMODO Internet Security COMODO
c:\windows\system32\guard64.dll

and another says:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\guard32.dll COMODO Internet Security COMODO
c:\windows\syswow64\guard32.dll

Which one of these, if any, should I untick?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Are you on a 32 or 64 bits version of XP?

What is the name of the CIS installer you used?

My Windows XP (SP3) is a 32-bit machine.

I’m sorry to be so dumb but I don’t know what a CIS installer is.

In the meantime, I will read from the link that you referred me to. Thanks.

I am a bit confused by what Autoruns reports. Can you show screenshot(s) of the two entries you found with Autoruns?

It looks like you are either on a 64 bits version of XP or the installer thought you were. My idea would be to uninstall CIS, reboot as requested and run this clean up tool. Once that is done run Autoruns as I have instructed and remove any entry that refers to CIS.

Now try installing CIS again.

Before doing the above start with exporting your configuration to a folder that is not part of the Comodo folder under Program Files. This way you can restore your configuration after the reinstall.