The Defense+ is not functioning properly!~

I removed Zonealarm and AVG and installed Comodo Firewall 3.13.1130099.587 with the intention of using AVAST for AV.

Have a red circle with a slash over the CIS icon in the tray and the CIS System Status in the Summary gives the message ‘The Defense+ is not functioning properly!’

Running Win XP SP3 on a Compaq Presario S4300NX 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM.

Ran the diagnostics and it did not find any problems with the installation.

Searched the forums and have done everything that I could find that was suggested in the forums such as
-uninstalling/reinstalling CIS (Firewall) several times
-using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall and then reinstall CIS (Firewall) at least twice
-Ran Comodo System Cleaner to clean everything I could find for CIS, ZA, and AVG
-Ran REGseeker to clean the registery for CIS, ZA, and AVG
-Ran CCleaner to clean everything it could find for CIS, ZA, and AVG
-Used Regedit and manually searched the registry to delete what I could find for CIS, ZA, and AVG
-Deactivated Defense+, rebooted, activated Defense+ and rebooted

Have searched Add/Remove programs to be sure there are not other installed tasks that could affect CIS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do NOT want to back off CIS and go back to ZA!!!

I have had this happen occasionally to me. I am using CIS with AV disabled. All I do is exit out of the application (CIS) and restart it. As simple as that sounds, it works for me.

I did as you suggested but I still have the same issue. Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion. Maybe it will help someone else. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m certainly no PC Tech and there are many others on this forum who are heads and shoulders above my understanding of these COMODO programs. I’m sure someone will be able to help! :slight_smile:

Try this thread:
https://forums.comodo.com/defense-help/defense-not-functioning-correctly-solved-t49902.0.html

I had already followed that link and all the links with that thread and did everything in them except reinstall Windows with SP3. That is not an option because there are too many programs installed on the system that cannot be reinstalled easily. I keep Acronis True Image backups on a regular basis so I can restore my system if the hard drive fails because it only takes 25 minutes to restore an image.

To reformat and install windows and try to reinstall all program would take days of effore and I have to use the system for work 24x7.

I did read through that thread another time to be sure there was nothing else there that I had failed to try.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I may end up trying that to see if it works just for fun on another partition on my hard drive.

Did you try this ZA clean up tool: PC and Mobile Security Software | ZoneAlarm ?

Are you running as admin or limited user?

Or try the following:

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are no auto starts from your previous security programs. Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

Running as ADMIN and have run the ZA cleanup tool and have already removed the Autoruns. However, I did rerun the ZA cleanup tool, verified that I was running ADMIN, and checked teh Autoruns again.

Rebooted and still have the issue.

Are there other security programs running in the background? Try disabling them? DO you have network related applications running like Net Limiter or VPN programs etc? If so try disabling them.

Thank you for responding.

One of the tests I performed was to shutdown every task on the system that could be stopped and uninstalled anything that had to do with security and then installed Comodo Firewall. I still had the problem. I have not installed anything back on the system so I could have a system that is as clean as possible.