The AV Engine

Frankly, I like the simplicity and tight integration of CIS. The AV Coupled with the HIPS and firewall portion in the hands of an educated Comodo user will provide great protection. Yet, I read the longwinded, overly personal, and hot headed thread on the AV and “marketing practices.” Frankly, the only official reliable test I have seen was Andreas’ Clementi’s on the earliest version of Comodo AV, and it was awful, for obvious reasons (it was in beta and a first version). But my question is this: I have been running Avast with the Firewall and defense+. Would this be more effective (in terms of signatures and AV heuristics, not HIPS) than using the on-access Comodo AV?

On another note, I think Melih should urge Andreas to do a special product test for the AV portion of CIS.

The AV has come a long way, And it will only get better. Detection is much better then in previous versions, and heuristics are to be added hopefully by end of years release. The AV is also very light on resources, I been using CIS ever since the pre-beta version (It was a version for moderators before the public beta), and so far things are working great- I have no desire what so ever switching to popular and big AV’s like Avira, Kaspersky, NOD32, Avast, etc. It’s just a great integrated, fast & efficient suite.

I would also like to see the AV tested… Hopefully next year it will be included in independent tests.

Josh

Hello Pfpps… I don’t think avast! has hueristics… or, they are very very basic. In my experience I found that CIS is faster than avast! and lower in resources, faster scanning times.

I think avast! has more signatures for the older malware than comodo does… But I wouldn’t be surprised if Comodo has more of the newer signatures :wink: When ThreatCast\Hueristics comes out (maybe in next version! :slight_smile: ) I think it will leave avast! for dead and pribably alot of other scanners… I mean, Look at the power of CIMA :wink:

You should be ok with either one right now… Personal choice - Which ever suits you best :slight_smile:

Avast! has good heuristics according to AV-Comparatives and AV.test.org, while Comodo AV has none (unless you consider Defense+ a heuristics-like behavior blocker). I am still not putting all my trust in the Comodo AV yet until new tests come out - and they are confusing. Mrizos on youtube loved it (it removed all the malware on the virtual machine - a small test nevertheless, while PCMag didn’t like it that much, especially the AV - and the firewall was too leaky! it’s a HIPS, which requires a little education and common sense…anyway).

PCmag should really be put in the “Don’t trust reviews List” Everyone knows the currently Comodo Firewall offers the best protection. that’s not comming from a fanboy… It’s comming from someone with half a brain :stuck_out_tongue:

And restrospective\proavtice detection doesn’t totally mean that they use heuristics, Their allowed to use other methods like Generic signatures etc. Comodo uses those currently and so does avast! But no, Avast! does not use heuristics.

I actually value these “real world tests” from real people such as those like ww.Remove-malware.com Also, I do tests on programs as well in my virtual machine for a while now and a few people are underestimating Comodo’s av :wink:

yes. avast currently has NO heuristics. i think i read that it will be implemented in v5.0

From what I’ve seen it’s only speculation that hueristics will be in 5.0 and no official words from an avast! member. (I could be wrong)

If possible, could you please post a link to me?

Sorry to be offtopic but Being an Avast/Alwil Fanboy I must defend Avast. Avast version 5. Will have “Behavior analysis” I read it on the Avast forum. They are trying to possible go away from heuristic for false positive reasons. But hey by the end of 2009 I wouldn’t doubt most people switch to CIS :wink:

Me either. :slight_smile: Can’t wait for the hopeful release for CIS at end of the year. :slight_smile:

Josh

Thats ok goose :slight_smile: No problems mate. As long as they catch the malware that’s the main thing, regardless of what method they use.

Whether or not people move to CIS in 2009 isn’t really important - It’s important that more people get better protection regardless of which program(s) they put their trust in. Comodo quite possibly and most likely will shake the compition up Which is good for everyone. Price is a big issue to, and the mind set\goals which I think is unmatched :slight_smile:

That is a great point! But honestly out of all Anti Virus Companies and CEO’s promises for better versions. I believe Melih truly want’s to make better software to keep people virus free and not just make $$$$$$$ like most Competitors :-TU

I 110% Agree with you Goose! That’s why I’m apart of these forums and do my best to help when people need it. I’m here because I support Comodo’s visions and goals, not because of their programs :slight_smile:

A new feature of version 4 is heuristic analysis of e-mail scanners. This feature can protect against new, unknown viruses and worms that are not possible to detect by the usual means. The heuristic module performs a thorough investigation of every e-mail message and watches for suspicious signs that might announce virus presence. When the number of those signs exceeds the user-defined level, the message is considered dangerous and the user is warned.

Only for email scanning…

Josh

Yes. It was something like that. :slight_smile:

So you mean that Comodo AV has comparable detection rates with Avast?

Talk to Andreas, Melih! (:TNG)

With new, current malware samples…yes maybe even better than Avast. But Avast, as well as every other big name AV out there, has the advantage in more older samples, which is what CIS mainly lacks because it is rather new. CIS is catching up very fast though!
(:CLP)

Indeed, getting better everyday!!!

we totally intend to be one of the best if not the best AV out there… let time tell!

Melih

And with all these new features Melih keeps dropping hints about, he’s got my mouth watering. (:AGL)