Testmypcsecurity.com - Virus in test files? why is comodogroup sending such mail

Today I recieved email from comodogroup about testmypcsecurity.com where one could test the security of the PC. but when I downloaded the files, many of the files were detected as virus or malware by the comodo antivirus. now this testmypcsecurity.com is a joke or is comodo really serious about offering such a service

??? i am totally confused… Comodo please clarify.

Comodo Internet security v3.8
win xp sp2

I think it is safe…just detected because it is a file that “tests” the security program.

Welcome. :slight_smile:

TestmyPCsecurity.com is legit. The AV detects those files becuase they are very similar to malware (basically they are kind of like malware), but they are harmless.

"Leak tests are small, non-destructive, programs designed by security experts that deliberately attempt to bypass a firewall’s outgoing security measures. The rationale behind them is painfully simple: ‘If this test can get past your computer’s security defenses, then so can a hacker.’ Explicitly designed to help identify a firewall’s security flaws, leak tests provide the invaluable function of informing the user whether or not their security software is providing adequate protection.

The tests pose no real threat to the security of a computer as they are harmless simulations of the attack techniques typically used by Spyware and Trojan horse programs. There are many firewall leak-testing programs available – each one designed to exploit a particular flaw and each using a particular attack technique to break a firewall’s standard protection mechanisms."

Running these tests will do no harm to your PC. They will just test your PC’s security.
Just disable your AV when running them.

Can anyone else confirm that these tests are detected as malware from CIS? (I’m not currently running CIS at the moment)
If CIS does detect this as malware… Can someone please report the false positive here?

When I try to download this test AVG displays that it is a trojan giving the option to send it to the vault or ignore, but when I press ignore the dowmload just stops and disappears. I tried turning the anti virus off by pressing exit in the tray but the message still appears. I have looked for another way to turn it off but there does not appear to be one. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Any ideas :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers

Mike

It does detect them. But I have always been under the impression that it was normal. I don’t think it’s a bug. Those leak tests are malware (malware that can’t do any harm).

When I try to download this test AVG displays that it is a trojan giving the option to send it to the vault or ignore, but when I press ignore the dowmload just stops and disappears. I tried turning the anti virus off by pressing exit in the tray but the message still appears. I have looked for another way to turn it off but there does not appear to be one.

Any ideas

Cheers

Mike

how to post a false +ve report ? can u pls give me any link if it is there…

The problem is that it isn’t a false positive… It’s doing what it should be doing.

I reported the GRC.com leaktest as a false positive and was told that CIS should be detecting these.

But Kyle - Computer Security Testing Group of comod is asking for posting a false +ve test report. what to do?? ???

Kyle is a normal COMODO user, just like all of us.

I’ll ask some others about this FP reporting.

This is my FP report.

Hi Everyone!

Hope all is well.

I just want to first apologize for any inconvenience and confusion the TestMyPCSecurity.com has caused. Second, I want to assure you that the file you are asked to download on the site is absolutely not a virus and is safe to download. Sometimes other AV software will block the test however it is absolutely not malicious in any way.

I once again apologize and if you need anything else please let me know.

Have a great day!
Kim

Kim Leone

Product Marketing Manager - Consumer Channel

Comodo

Phone: 201-253-1621

Fax: 866-446-2126

Kimberly.leone@comodo.com

Detecting a leak test as malware is often a way that AV companies “Cheat” to pass the test. I know comodo did not intend this because they have always disagreed with other programs doing the same.

Thanks Kim for the fast response :slight_smile:

I too received this message today.
My advice to Comodo is: make the email less suspicious looking.

In its current state, it is barely distinguishable from a scareware/phishing email.
Stick your logo on it, explain who you are and what the linked tests are supposed to do.