Testing the 6.x (and 5.x) to 7.x updater

It appears from the fix lists that the 6.x updater is live in this version. And as an RC it should hopefully be reasonably stable

So if you would like to try updating your 6.x installation and can record any bug you encounter, IMO it will greatly help to achieve a bug free release. Unfortunately update installer often have bugs and these are frequently not discovered until after a product is launched.

Please only do this on your main machine however if you are aware of the risks of installing an RC build, and are happy you can manage them. In particular I would recommend that you at least create a restore point and preferably back up your data before doing this. Comodo does not and cannot ask you to do so - the decision must be at your own risk.

Please note that when the final release is issued, if you have updated using the RC, it is wise to uninstall and reinstall the RC, preferably using Chirons, guidelines on completely uninstalling CIS

Testing the updater on Windows XP and Windows 8.1 is particularly high priority, but it’s important on all OS.

I will leave this open for feedback any discussion or feedback. All bugs of course please report in the Beta Bugs Board.

Best wishes

Mouse

[Edit: Just to clarify. By live I mean that if you run the installer it should update an existing installation. Not that clicking on the update button in CIS will update.]

i want to try rc in my production machine but i am not sure is rc version next to final version or not. I saw some my friends use rc product on their production machine. So i am little bit cluless

Thanks very much! It’s great to see the updater being tested.

What’s ‘next to final’ is never certain until the final version comes out.

Only do this if you understand the risks and know how to manage them - a data backup and a restore point is wise. If running on your main machine, I’d be tempted to turn Viruscope off after installation, or take frequent data backups, as IMO there are still issues being resolved with Viruscope.

Just to clarify. By live I mean that if you run the installer it should update an existing installation. Not that clicking on the update button in CIS will update.

I just updated from V6.3 and everything appears to be functioning correctly.
It required two reboots and an initial scan.
At first I thought it reset my config to default settings, but upon investigating further it saved my config and just needed to be activated (Screenshot).
I did notice that it carried over two different versions of the saved V6.3 config files, which is also visible in the screenshot (Unknown why).
Apart from that all appears to functioning correctly so far.
Not much more testing tonight, I am soon heading to horizontal land. :wink:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks very much indeed for testing Greg. The two versions sound like a bug - should be logged if only to find out. Certainly it should tell you what they are and which to choose. Also the fact that the configs were not applied automatically is an issue already on file. Are you on XP?

That upgrade was done on a Vista 32-bit system.
I will try to make time tomorrow to try the same on the XP system and maybe even on my Win 7.
Don’t fear, everything is backed up to an external drive.

Edit: Once I activated my old proactive config all settings appear restored.
The version differences could be an old 6.3 update bug more so than a current one I imagine.

Thank very much, that’s great¬ Trying to tick the OS off one by one :slight_smile:

it saved my config and just needed to be activated (Screenshot). I did notice that it carried over two different versions of the saved V6.3 config files, which is also visible in the screenshot (Unknown why).

Both points are M548

Thanks Mike, I will comment there later today.

I did an update today. I had 6.3.302093.2976 and now have the RC build. I’m on windows 8.1 with 64bit.

I had one reboot and one initial scan. As captainsticks I to was afraid I lost my configuration (I didn’t make a backup before updating because of my trust in the RC build quality) but then found the backup inside the configuration dialog. Activating it worked.

Only downside till now: the first initial scan didn’t work at first. The scan window had a complete freeze while initializing the scan (45% if I remember correct). I did a second reboot, because I was unable to even close this window. I’m not sure if this was a Comodo bug. I thought it was something else causing the freeze because the whole system was a bit unresponsive.

For me, the update progress was a good experience. Perhaps you should change the way Comodo deals with old settings. A popup window to inform about the backup perhaps?!

I just completed the upgrade on XP from V6.3.
No problems, it required two reboots and the initial scan.
I also had to re-activate my original config which was saved automatically.
Apart from that all appears to be fine.

Note: The saved configs all had the correct identical previous version number, unlike the other system (Vista).
This was a clean install of V6.3, where as I suspect the other system had previous updates.

Thanks very much for testing. In partic on 8.1 :slight_smile:

I have raised the priority of the ‘two configs’ problem in the mods’ tracker. It is a known issue.

The scanner can cause the OS to respond slowly, so please report this as a possible bug.

Please also see if you can repeat it (probably it was a quick scan?) and if so take a full dump.

You may need to turn scanning optimisations off first.

Best wishes

Mike

That’s great news, as XP often causes updating problems. Let’s hope a few more people test on XP too.

Yes there was a very old bug in which CIS minor build updater did not touch the registry key Windows uses to hold version info. Wonder if that’s it.

Or maybe it’s a last used in config version.

Autoupdated on Winows XP, no visible issues yet… The change log things didnt have time to see those…

One question, does the about Box say RC or still Beta? Mine shows Beta…

Below is a screenshot of what it looks like to me.

Beta here too, which is about right.

Thanks very much for the feedback Sanya, much appreciated. Mike

i upgraded from 5.12 to 7 successfully on windows 7. ill try and test it with xp later tonight