TEST build of BOC426 available for those with prior problems

For anyone who has experienced “hangs” or BOClean vanishing from the traybar or has seen the traybar icon turn green in color and remain that way, there is now a TEST replacement for the main BOC426.exe file which you can download and test. This will let us know if the problem is fixed, and allow us to release a new 4.27 version in a couple of weeks for everyone.

NOTE: DO NOT DOWNLOAD this file unless you already have BOClean 4.26 already installed and have had problems with the main program crashing, disappearing, or hanging. Sometimes, this will also result in a stuck traybar icon which is GREEN in color. This should ALSO be the solution for the “MIRO” problem and others like it. A couple of other, minor problems have also been corrected and what we want to do here is test a fix to the existing 4.26 code which will then allow us to release a 4.27 if this solves the problems reported.

This particular test consists SOLELY of a single replacement file, not the usual replacement of everything as we do when a new version is released. Therefore, an uninstall should NOT be done as we’re just going to replace that one file for testing if you wish to try it out. You do not need to test this file unless you have experienced problems. This build was done solely to see if our workaround for a bug in Microsoft’s PSAPI.DLL module actually solves those problems.

If you’d like to try out the test build, follow these five steps …

1. Right click on existing BOC426 traybar icon (if running) and select “SHUT DOWN BOClean.”

2. Once BOClean has disappeared from the traybar, download the replacement BOC426.exe file from here:

http://download.comodo.com/boc/download/test/boc426.exe

IMPORTANT!!!

1. SAVE the file to your current BOClean program location - the intent is to replace the existing COMODO BOClean executable with this one. This file is normally located in C:\Program Files\Comodo\CBOClean folder.

2. Confirm that you want the existing file overwritten with the new one. You WILL be asked if you’re in the correct location. This assures you that the file has been replaced with the new one!

3. Run and test the new “test build” of BOC426 and let me know how it goes!

Please note: I’m excessively busy with several other COMODO projects and will remain overloaded until down towards the end of the month. Comments on testing are welcome in this thread, I do NOT have time to read IM’s or hit other threads right now. Therefore, it’s suggested that if any of our helpers here could point others with difficulties to this thread, and have them try out this test build and let me know in THIS thread, I’ll be forever grateful and will offer some personal comments when time permits … for the next couple of weeks though, that will be “few and far between.” But I will look in here when I can manage to and if something serious comes up, will give it attention. Hope everyone can forgive me for this limitation, I’m that busy. :frowning:

Once I’m sure we’re cool, will then go and rework ALL of the BOClean files for an official 4.27 release incorporating these fixes (and no “requests” not already in our code at this time) as soon as possible once folks have had time to see if this replacemend BOC426.exe file solves their problems.

THANKS, ALL! :slight_smile:

Note: Edits will probably follow - once the link is available (as of posting this) I will go collect file size and date stamp and post it below here so folks can also confirm by that info … the file IS signed by COMODO …

Hmmm … was going to just upload a pic of the properties screen, but can’t figure out how to. So …

SIZE: 343KB (351,464 bytes)
Created: May 15, 2008 - 10:13:01AM
Modified: June 16, 2008 - 03:40:18AM

Hope this helps since I couldn’t post the pic of it to verify that it is for real on that link. File is ALSO signed by COMODO digitally to keep Vista from whining. Heh.

I loaded this per instructions and got the same message that windows was shutting down the program. I took it out of startup and tried to load it manully with the same failed results. I had not had any problems until I started my computer this morning.
Hope this helps somehow. I will try working on fixing later,got to go to work now.

SIZE: 343KB (351,464 bytes)

Just only to add a bit more info :wink:

Here are the MD5 and SHA-1 checksums for this test version of boc426.exe :

MD5 - 455E339A2C9669D19D369AFF3FB2D85F
SHA-160 - C29374030FEDB4E58A9AB9D7DF5F0F0274E97CEC

Installed updated file and ran MIRO. BOC426 remained an active process. MIRO does keep it busy! Systray icon switching between black, blue and green. BOC426 showing 40%+ on a two core system.

Make a backup of the “old” BOC426.exe file, so that you can always place it back in case something unexpected happens :wink:

Greetz, Red.

I installed this revised file as I was having an issue with TurboCAD Pro 15.1 causing BoClean to stop responding, necessitating a restart (of BoClean after closing TurboCAD).
But this issue is still present.
The two programs will not co-exist on this system. I believe this is because of some change in TurboCAD as the issue was not present when I was using the previous version of TurboCAD (14.2).

Miro is quite impressive in how much memory it eats … the 40% you were seeing was likely a result of having to fight for what scraps were left … is that CPU % more reasonable when Miro isn’t running?

According to the TurboCAD site, there is a patch for it available, but for now since there’s a problem, I’d prefer to get to the bottom of that while it still manifests since I was never able to reproduce whatever the underlying problem is and thus this “test build” to get to the bottom of it. Clearly, we’ve got most of the problem solved but there’s still something else.

If you would be kind enough to drop me an IM here, I’ll get back to you later today with instructions to grab a special diagnostic program which will give me some detailed information on how TurboCAD is interacting with Windows and that should hopefully help me spot what’s going sideways there. Don’t patch your TurboCAD though until I can get a sample of how it is now before any patching. That might make the problem go away and I’d like to see what’s going on first before you go and do that.

Can you tell me in the meantime though if the traybar icon is green, if BOClean just vanishes or basically what you’re seeing happening on your end in the meantime until I can get back to you after I get your IM?

Total memory is not the problem (1GByte available) although memory management issues could be related to the BOC’s CPU requirements. What I do see in process explorer is lots of processes starting and ending and I suspect that BOC is spending time checking on all the new processes. When MIRO goes idle, BOC doesn’t use much if any CPU. Most importantly, BOC hasn’t terminated when I run MIRO since installing the updated code file.

Why bother spending time on it, why not wait for the new release while in the
meantime disable BOClean and let the spy ware blaster keep your house clean (:NRD)

turnoburn,
This release was to find out if a certain file might correct problems in BoClean that do not occur for everyone but for several.

Unless those that have those problems try it, how will the BoClean Team know if this corrected file will work?   There are so many software configurations, that the help of individual users, that experience the problems, are always of the most benefit to developers.

Those that have a problem and decide to uninstall and wait till the next release may never see their problem fixed or it may take months untill someone else with the same software configuration is willing to help.

UncleDoug

Couldn’t have said it better ;D Thnx Dougy :wink:

Greetz, Red.

Thanks Doug, even as I sit here a pop up says error in BOClean, and there have been more cookies on my computer, whether or not their related only BOClean knows. So I’ll re-look it over, thanks for the info :-TU

turnoburn,
This release was to find out if a certain file might correct problems in BoClean that do not occur for everyone but for several.

Unless those that have those problems try it, how will the BoClean Team know if this corrected file will work?   There are so many software configurations, that the help of individual users, that experience the problems, are always of the most benefit to developers.

Those that have a problem and decide to uninstall and wait till the next release may never see their problem fixed or it may take months untill someone else with the same software configuration is willing to help.

UncleDoug

I am one of the lucky ones with BoClean, no errors, updates with no problems. Not sure IF I installed it in Safe Mode or if I turned all my security programs off except the firewall when I installed it.

I doubt BoClean is responsible for as many cookies as you describe. Possibly you have your warning level set a lot higher than I do? I just run several cleanup programs CCleaner, Windows CleanUp, ATF, and finish up with an Oldie but a Goodie MRU Blaster, once in a while I even use Windows Disk CleanUP.

If you try to reinstall again, besure to clean the temp files and a registry cleaning followed by a reboot to clear your memory.
Since I read about it here I use Revo Uninstaller full mode.

Try one of my two suggestions, Safe Mode you know most everything is off. Only Windows Defender shows a process running in Safe Mode.

Good Luck and keep trying! Eventually it will be solved!

My oddity is with Version Numbers. But two different programs could mean something else is going on? :THNK

UncleDoug

This new version of BOC does not now crash the vlc media player

O.k. I resolved one problem, BOClean was flashing a window over a program when loading
the program.I disengaged auto updates and that ended it, make any sense why it would
do that? (:KWL)

I had hoped more people who reported oddities had availed themselves of the test build so I could confirm that the new build solved any/all of those problems. I’m offering a “last call” on it until Wednesday of this week for those who have had problems and haven’t tried the new build replacement in order to freeze the code and issue a new 4.27 build as soon as we can get it out.

If you have seen problems, this is the last chance … probably won’t be another revision until sometime around September or so as previous reports of oddities have delayed the next CHANGES-based build of BOClean for quite some time now, and we’re all getting impatient to start adding NEW stuff from the “wish list” for the next version after this one … it’ll be a MAJOR revision, and thus the need to “clear the board” on the current one and get a fixed build out for everyone.

So if there was any unhappiness with 4.26 that you want to see fixed in 4.27, go back to the first message which links to the “test build” and download/install instructions and “give it a go.” Last chance! :slight_smile:

I only now found that thread. Will report back if I find oddities.

Is there release date for 4.27? (B)

I have no problems whatsoever with 4.26. What’s more, it solved an annoyance that 4.25 had for me, the GUI was extremely slow, but with no abnormal resource usage nor faulty operation. Now it’s perfect. Looking forward to the Changes in the new version. Keep up the good work. :-TU