temporarily rejected?

I see this in the log, testing after going live:
“Temporarily rejected
Unable to handle in active connection”

What does that mean, prey tell?
Edit: I also see some Temporarily rejected, greylisted. Do these get processed again?
Lou

I am not sure about that one.

Greylisting is a way to reduce spam. You have blacklist (blocked addresses) and you have whitelist (allowed addresses). So, a greylist is an unknown address which is rejected temporarily.

If its a spammer, most of the time it wont get processed again since they will have to to reattempt deliveries manually, while normal mail servers reattempt automatically many times.

Maybe this can help to explain further about Greylisting?

Does the greylisting indicate that a reply was sent back to the “spammer” and that the ball is in their court?
I will use MailSend to send a bunch of messages to try to recreate the Active connection thing again.
Lou
(I opened a ticket on this so I can track it)

No reply is sent, no e-mail is bounced.
It is given as a 4xx reply code, issued at different stages of the SMTP dialogue. For example, if I send you an email and I get greylisted, I will never get a message from CASG (or by defect, by any other server using greylisting) saying that I am greylisted. It is only known by my outgoing server and your outgoing server (SMTP dialogue). My server will automatically keep trying to deliver my message to yours without me being aware of it. Of course, these automatic retries have to be supported by my mail server wich nearly all use, now these days. :wink:

Thanks, I almost understand :slight_smile:
I see many of the greylisted emails in pairs, about 2-3 seconds apart. A few were repeated several times.
I think my main problem was “the need to learn the lingo”, AKA “short circuit between the ear phones”.
The first two entries I saw were the “unable to handle” entries that show up under “deferred” in the classification field. Those were the first 2 test messages I sent and they did not get forwarded and I got no “unable to deliver” message so I did a knee ■■■■. I still don’t know why CASG did that, I am suspicious that it occurred shortly after the MX record change. I set mailsend to send the same messages, from the same server, every 2 minutes for a while, there was no failure to deliver. All A-OK (well, they did say “may be Spam” which I had set for probably spam.
Once I recovered from that shock, it appears that everything is running perfectly. I won’t know for sure until folks show up for work Monday morning and check their mail but I showed them how to go to quarantine. We are running at an 85% Spam rate which seems about right. As a bonus, it has identified and stopped a few emails with viruses. Our firewall should get them anyway, but 2 is better than 1.

Question: I see messages sent to previous employees being blocked. Is it better to blacklist them or better to just ignore them. If they did get through, Exchange would not accept them.
Thanks,
Lou

If you mean messages that are caught and keep in quarantine, then you dont have to do something. It is caught and kept, meaning CASG is doing its job. You can blacklist specific email addresses that might go through CASG.