taskeng.exe ---- access com interface to svchost.exe

Hello all,

Running Windows Vista 32bit SP1

For the past few days I have noticed a increased amount of intrusion detections every 5 minutes on the comodo av summary page. Defense has blocked 25 intrusions in the last 15 minutes.

Application
FILE: c:\windows\system32\taskeng.exe

Flag
access com interface

TARGET:
c:\windows\ System 32\ svchost.exe

Have run anti virus and malware detection and nothing found.
Can anyone help and or assist with a fix ???

Please let me know… thank you.

Taskeng.exe in the System32 folder is normally a Windows system file and as such the fact that it tries to access svchost.exe is memory is nothing to worry about.

To know for sure if that taskeng.exe is the original file you can use Sigcheck to see if it is digitally signed by Microsoft.

Download the zip archive that I attached to this post and unpack it to C:\Program Files\SysinternalsSuite\ . When done run sigcheck.reg to add the shell extension to the registry.

When this is done navigate to the system32 folder, look up and select taskeng.exe, click right and choose Signature from the context menu. A black command box will pop up. See if taskeng.exe is signed or not.

When it is signed it is the original Windows file and there is no reason to worry.

Link to attachment: Comodo Forum

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for the response. Not sure how to fine the zip file you attached. where is it attached?

It should be visible at the bottom of my previous post.

But would it not be interesting to know why MS or any other 3rd party invokes the task manager I suppose to access the Internet by svshost.exe?

I have no clue but I would thing a good starting point could be in control panel → event management?